why this computer is not browsable in workgroup???

Status
Not open for further replies.

taken

Journeyman
hi,
NOTE: computer is all win xp pro SP2

i have this one computer in my workgroup which dosent seem to be browsable via network. when clicked on the computer icon in network neigh'd, it displays this message:

\\computername is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network reosurce. contact the adminstrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

access is denied.

so what is going on.

here is the probable solutions that i used:

1. since all the computers can browse each other and the said computer can browse itself plus can browse other computers. it signifies that the said computer is OK, i.e. one way

2. to make sure, i had uninstalled the LAN card driver and then rebooted it. after rebooting, i gave the static IP. with it it can browse interned (VSAT line)

3. to make sure, firewall has also been set to its default. as such other computers in LAN all have been set to the same firewall settings which i think is not the problem creator.

4. pinging the system from other computers results positive. it gets replies from the said computer

so any idea why the computer is not browsable from other computers in LAN (workgroup). if there is no solution then i think the only solution is reinstalling the OS.

any support pls..

regs
aken

sakumar79

Technomancer
1. Try accessing the system by its IP - enter \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at the address instead of \\name.
2. Try accessing the shares in the system. First ensure that the items are shared. Then, verify if guest access is enabled (if other computers use different logins, you will need this). If other computers have same login, verify password is same.

Note: I know you said you have XP Pro, but if you have XP Home instead, the computer can be accessed by share directly but not by name...\\name wont work but \\name\share_name will work...

Arun

uttoransen

Broken In
have you tried the ping command,

open command promtp and type in ping and then the ip address, might help,

aadipa

Padawan
Try this command on the said <i>not browsable</i> pc
Code:
net config server /hidden:no

To hide it again use,
Code:
net config server /hidden:yes
^^ no rocket science required to guess this second one, once you know the first :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom