why the time is 10:10:35secs in new clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandher

Right off the assembly line
hi
i came to know about this that in new clocks time is always 10:10:35secs i could not find out why can anybody give me a valid reason please

svk

Journeyman
its bcoz @ that time one can see all the 3 needles of the clock distinctively apart and looks gr8 too. (according to my sources) :D

SmoothCriminal

In the zone

Aesthetics

I personally think that the 10:10 position (sometimes 10:12 or 10:08) was adopted for pictures of clocks and watches because it is symmetric and looks better. Today the symmetric positions are both aesthetic and customary. Other symmetric hand positions are also used, but not as frequently. Examples include 8:20, 8:18, and 2:50. Reviewing some Seth Thomas clock catalog illustrations, I see a gradually increasing symmetry of the hands as the catalogs progress from 1878 to 1940.

"Smile" Theory

It has been suggested that the 10:10 position is used because it resembles a smile.

"I too have heard the 'smile' theory, which makes some sense from the emotional marketing perspective. Equally likely is the fact that most manufacturer's trademarks are just above the center pipe, and having the hands at 10:10 causes your eye to naturally follow to the trough, thus bringing your view right to the trademark." - Tom Frank

Time of Abraham Lincoln's Death

U.S. President Abraham Lincoln died at 7:22 a.m. on April 15, 1865, although he was shot at 10:15 p.m. on April 14, 1865. Although this has been suggested, I doubt that the position of the hands commemorates the time of Lincoln's assassination or death.

Source & More

tuxfan

Technomancer
I think it is based on some historic event related to World War. But I have always been very bad in history. So I may be wrong.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
No, it's just that we are able to see all the three hands and the company of the watch as well...

babumuchhala

In the zone
It is because we are able to see all the Three Hands clearly and the dial details are also clear.
Moreover today its just become a tradition for all new clocks to show that time

freezer

Journeyman
Hey Guys ! All of you are not correct. Actually It is because at this time the clock was invented they say.

babumuchhala

In the zone
freezer said:
Hey Guys ! All of you are not correct. Actually It is because at this time the clock was invented they say.

Ya Ya as if they know when the time clock was invented downright to the exact second. And if thats true then why havent the mysteries of HUMAN EVOLUTION, the EVOLUTION of UNIVERSE been solved :lol:

atool

Journeyman
SmoothCriminal said:

"Smile" Theory

It has been suggested that the 10:10 position is used because it resembles a smile.

"I too have heard the 'smile' theory, which makes some sense from the emotional marketing perspective. Equally likely is the fact that most manufacturer's trademarks are just above the center pipe, and having the hands at 10:10 causes your eye to naturally follow to the trough, thus bringing your view right to the trademark." - Tom Frank

Source & More

as far as i know...this is the reason...

S

sunnydiv

cos it makes smily, u can do a servey or something, open r shops, one with 10:10 another with 8:20

u ll c

bharathbala2003

why need title?
am not too sure but as far as i ve heard its only cos of the assasination of Lincon.. cos thats wat ppl used to tell me when i was a KID :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom