What will you prefer to use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

damnthenet

Journeyman
Hello members,
Why PDF is often preffered now-a-days instead of DOC? Even Digit gives its digitalized magazines in PDF format. What might be the reasons you think?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
PDF cannot be tampered with and is a standardised format while doc changes with every version of MS Word.
One can't really choose between the two because PDF is better when the document has to be distributed to a large no. of people and doc is better when the document has to be worked on by only one person.

G

gxsaurav

The simple reason pdf is better

1) it cannot be further edited, good for printing & publication houses, it is secure then doc, any one can open a doc file & edit it

2) It is cross plateform, U make a pdf on Windows & it can be opened on any plateform, U name it , even mobile phones, with all the formatting & text layout, what U see is what U get, just as the auther intended, with no changes

3) It can have flash files, movies embedd, & also it can be compressed a lot,

I don't think even Metro will be able to take away the pdf crown from adobe anytime soon

BONZI

Journeyman
You're right but one thing I hate reading PDF. I cant read more than 15 pages. The fonts are irritating :(

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Just download a full broadband version of Home Computer Magazine(any issue) from *www.homecomputermagazine.com/ and see pdf in action.

Now think if doc can do this. No i cannot and if it does its size will be some 50 mb as comapred to 12-15 mb pdf of above mag. PDF compression is 50% more than that of doc.

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
I agree completely with all the views given out in support of the PDF format.

You'll also find out that most of the online novels/books thingy are already in the PDF format. Duplication is harder there and also the data is very secure.
PDF also spares my bandwidth. ;)

ujjwal

Padawan
Well you see doc isn't a clear standard at all, doc files aren't very compatible on other readers (apart from MS word), wherease PDF can be viewed on a number of readers.

However, I don't prefer either, and if possible, I like to view documents in HTML format, as one can see then on the internet.

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
pdf is certainly better bcz of its compatibility with many readers + it is very compressed + its display is very clear + excellent quality for printing! + wat else do U want :roll:

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
BONZI said:
You're right but one thing I hate reading PDF. I cant read more than 15 pages. The fonts are irritating :(

Irritating fonts? That must be specific to the file. Blame it on the author not pdf.

I think the fonts are terrificly embedded. Also Pdf is not the typr which you create by writing into acrobat but by converting other formats to pdf. So if the author use poor fonts it is his error. Try Zooming or full screen or hig res. for reading perfectly.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Found an interesting story on *news.com.com/Microsoft+gunning+for+Adobes+PDF+format/2100-1012_3-5692963.html?tag=nefd.lede

Read and think will this metro format outerperform pdf.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
BONZI said:

Download / install Acrobat reader 7.01 and you will have no complaints. Its very good and easy on the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom