Why is my pc slow???

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishantv2003

We Both Have a Mouse!!!
it is now about 6 months that i have bought my new pc.
config:
1.pros:amd 64bit 3000+
2.mobo:msi k8mm-ilsr (bought this b'coz wanted onboard graphics due to money factor).
3.ram:matrix 512mb 400 fsb (bought this b'coz 2x256 hynix 400fsb did not worked on my mobo??).
hdd:samsung 80gb sata.

and

no additional graphic card is installed.

now my question are

1. why does it takes 5 to 6 scrools of bar at the time of boot in xp w/o sp and if sp2 is installed it increases to 7 to 8 scrools,
on the other hand sempron 2200+ with krypton mobo and 128mb ram does xp sp2 in less than 3 scrools.

2. what is inferear in my config.

pls reply

S

sunnydiv

tell me, when did u last installed windows xp

thats all the bottel necks i can think of

Sourabh

Laptoping
well its usually coz of free space on the hdd

also if u have a 9x OS on c: and xp on other drives the load up time increases

also the hdd which u previously had was smaller in capacity than ur new one

but the bootup time shldnt be a issue as far as u zip thru Xp tasks without having to wait a sec like on lower configs after all thats wht matters

swatkat

Technomancer
Windows XP loads Services during those "scrolls".
Have you defragmented your HardDisk? Which AntiVirus do you use?

OP
nishantv2003

nishantv2003

We Both Have a Mouse!!!
thanks for your replys guyes,

to sunnydiv: i installed it 2 days back(xp w/o sp b'coz i was fedup with the slowness of sp2).

to Sourabh: i only have 1 hdd (samsung 80 gb sata), it is single boot, xp is installed on c: drive(10gb,ntfs) and i allways format the drive before installing a new os).
and yes after the windows is open every thing is swift.

to swatkat: yes, i have defrag my c: after fresh installation and i have norton system works 2004.

but what u guyes think i should replace or upgrade in my config??
and
still the boot time of sempron is fast WHY??

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hi,
Out of curioisty , did you experience the slowness right after the reinstall of Windows Xp? Just for names sake check the event viewer which can be found in Start>Control Panel > Administrative Tools> Event Viewer and check if you can find any weird errors in there. Also you could check for latest Drivers for your various devices. Hope this helps.

Also check this link out
*www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

swatkat

Technomancer
Norton adds up a LOT of Services to Windows xp, and these will load during those "scrolls".
If you backup of SetUp files/CD of Norton, then uninstall Norton, and check the bootup time.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Systemworks is a real bummer when it comes to load up times. It usually loads the system monitor, the AV, Norton undeleter and many others. So dont be surprised if your loadup time is high. With Norton their motto is "slow baby slow" !!

OP
nishantv2003

nishantv2003

We Both Have a Mouse!!!
thanks for your replys guys.:)
after oc my pc by 10%(from2.0 to2.2) the scrolls are reduced to 3.
and after oc my pc does not sart at the first time i push the power button, the fan works but screen is not turned on and start my pc i have to push the restart button.
but every thing else is fine.

nikhil

Broken In
delete all junk from hdd so that u can increase theamount of free space(maybe u r running low on the amount of hdd space) or how about increasing the ram...how much ram do u have installed?....how about compacting the windows registry?or maybe it just a case of the hdd is highly fragmented...just run the defrag(considering that all else is ok in your system

digen

Youngling
Nope AMD uses a different model numbering convention apart from intel which uses a straight GHz convention.
A AMD 64 bit 3000 translates although the clock speed is lower than the intel counterpart it runs as fast as a Intel Pentium 3.0 GHz.
You can find numbering conversions & other related specs at the amd site.

shaunak

Tux Fan
hi guys,
anyone know how to remove msn msg frm start up
it tried but it just comes back every damn time i log in to messenger

devilhead_satish

In the zone
When you use messenger for one time after using it, it again fixes itself up in the startup. Use something like System Mechanic's startup guard

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
shaunak said:
hi guys,
anyone know how to remove msn msg frm start up
it tried but it just comes back every damn time i log in to messenger

Start MSN Messenger
Go to Tools>Options
Click on the General tab
Uncheck the option 'Automatically run Messenger when I log on to Windows'
Click Apply

nikhil

Broken In
really confusing...there should be one standard :? cpu speed convention...so that for regular people like us don't get confused or misled...something similiar should be done to the hardware and software industry in India as it was done with the mobile phone industry...setup up a regulatory industry which setups up certain guidelines regarding the phone numberibg tariffs...etc....what u think guys?????

vishakadatta

Right off the assembly line
well, no insult meant to digen, but he made a SLIGHT mistake bout the naming convention.

the 3000+ in athlon64 3000+ has nothing to do with the P4 3 ghz.
3000+ means the athlon64 gives as much computing power as a standard athlon running at 3 ghz.

or put another way, a standard athlon will have to run @ 3 ghz to give the same performance as the athlon64 3000+

check out this link if you want to know more: *www.bit-tech.net/review/85/

keanu_reeves

Broken In
boss u got a bad mobo or power supply go get them checked & replace them.
when pc does not start on the first try take it to the doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom