Why do pc monitors have picture adjustments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

krazyfrog

Why do CRT pc monitors have all those adjustment buttons below the screen which lets you adjust the picture left, right, up, down, expand, contract, etc? Why can't they display picture normally like a regular CRT tv? And if they're so important, why don't CRT TVs (even high end ones) don't have this feature? Also why don't LCD pc monitors have this feature?

anispace

dattebayo
thats probably becoz TVs have a fixed resolution while CRT PC monitors have to work with different resolutions(640x,800x,1024x etc). So the picture might get distorted if the rez is changed n the controls can be used to adjust the image.

LCDs anywayz work best only with their native resolution.

all tvs have contrast adj

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Such options are available for TVs also in the Service Menus :D
I hv Sony & LG TV in my home and hv opened Service Menus of both of them ;)

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Vishal Gupta said:
Such options are available for TVs also in the Service Menus :D
I hv Sony & LG TV in my home and hv opened Service Menus of both of them ;)
Is there any way or any secret code by which we can get in to to the Service menu in TV?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Yes! All Digital TV contains some secret codes to enter into Service Menu ;)
These codes are different for each brand and even for each model :)

I use following codes for my TV:

For Sony TV:

First power off ur TV using remote, then Press <Display> + 5 + Vol Up + Power button simultaneously on remote. To save the changes, just press Mute + 0.

For LG TV:

Press and Hold <OK> button on remote as well as TV panel at the same time for a few minutes. To save the changes press <OK> in Remote.

PS: Be very careful while playing with the service menu :D if something goes wrong, just swicth off the TV and switch on it again ;)

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Thanks for the replies, Vishal. I will try it on my old LG tv. Now, I have got a Samsung Model. Do you have any code for those?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
For Samsung, try this:

Power off TV using remote and then press MUTE + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power Button from remote simultaneously :)

I hv tried this code once for an old samsung model, can't remember the model name, so don't know whether it'll work for ur Samsung TV or not?

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
As you hav mentioned about it, I will start experimenting with it from tomorrow onwards.
ajayashish said:
i think it will be pwer off > Display>menu>mute> power on
Is it for Samsung?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U should, buddy I enabled Golden Eye feature in my LG TV ;)
When we purchased the TV, it did hv "Golden Eye" button in remote but it wasnt working coz my LG model doesnt hv this feature. But I was able to enable it from Service Menu :D Now I'm enjoying Golden Eye feature in a non-Golden Eye TV :)

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Golden Eye is a hardware feature, I suppose. They have a light sensor in the front which adjusts the brightness, contrasts according to the room light settings. So, if u hadn't that feature when u bought ur TV, how come is it working now?:)

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
In my LG TV model, it was not available and also was not mentioned in the features list ;)
Guess what they hv disabled it from Service menu to decrease the price of the model. But when I saw an option for enabling it in Service Menu, I didnt wait for nething and just enabled it :D

@vimal
I hv Sony Wega TV and the code mentioned in my above post works well for it :)

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
@Vishal Gupta does ur tv has a light sensor on the front, unless it is there golden eye will not work. On my TV it is on the right bottom.

OP
K

krazyfrog

Golden Eye uses a light sensor on the tv's front panel to check the ambient light in the room. Without this sensor the Golden Eye feature is useless. Manufacturers use a common menu in many of their tv sets. So a tv without Golden Eye could be sharing menu with a Tv with Golden Eye. Thats why @Vishal you found the option of Golden Eye only in your tv's service menu and not in the manual or on the remote controller. In tv's with Golden Eye, LG makes a point to put the Golden Eye button on the remote and highlight it as its one of the key features. So don't get too happy about having Golden Eye feature for free. I once saw a 14" Samsung tv with Sound balance feature even though it had only one 50 watt speaker! It even had bass/treble adjustment and surround sound! It seems it was sharing menu with a higher end 21" Samsung tv.
Anyway thanks @anispace for your answer.

anispace

dattebayo
Vishal Gupta said:
In my LG TV model, it was not available and also was not mentioned in the features list ;)
Guess what they hv disabled it from Service menu to decrease the price of the model. But when I saw an option for enabling it in Service Menu, I didnt wait for nething and just enabled it :D

@vimal
I hv Sony Wega TV and the code mentioned in my above post works well for it :)

@vishal
even i own a Sony wega 29inch. I had opened the service menu a while back but couldnt find any useful tweaks. Could u suggest some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom