Why couldn't i play dvd in a cd rom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatkat

Technomancer
CD and DVD look same, that's where the similarity ends....this has been said 100s of time.....

see, in CD writers the Laser used to write/read data on CD has a wavelength of 780nm.....but the Laser that's used to write/read DVD in a DVD Writer has a wavelength of 650nm.....

so using a laser of smaller wavelength, more data is crammed into the Disc.....

Also, some other specs like Pit Length, Track Pitch will be smaller in DVDs when compared to CDs......

rachitar

Journeyman
swatkat said:
CD and DVD look same, that's where the similarity ends....this has been said 100s of time.....

see, in CD writers the Laser used to write/read data on CD has a wavelength of 780nm.....but the Laser that's used to write/read DVD in a DVD Writer has a wavelength of 650nm.....

so using a laser of smaller wavelength, more data is crammed into the Disc.....

Also, some other specs like Pit Length, Track Pitch will be smaller in DVDs when compared to CDs......

I have heard that DVD's can store 5 GB compared to 700 Mb of VCD.
IS it possible that the laser waveength will get more reduced or have we reached the maximum limit?
Also in a DVD Writer is only the laser different or are the other equipments also different as in is it possile to replace the 780 nm laser of VCD with 650 nm laser for DVD?(i dont think so but whats the harm in getting another opinion/s)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
whats goin on here...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

DVD Roms are meant to play DVD's as well as CD's and CD-Roms are Meant to play All CD related Discs.....as simple as that.....:D

@kunwar.....were u born a few days ago or sometin???? :lol: :lol: just Jokin....why not use GOOGLE before Postin :wink:

though a DVD Disc may look similar to a CD thats its speciality it stands on an even more higher capacity and the Lens that reads the DVD work on a diff pattern all together....just apply a logic here if CD Roms could read DVD then Why would there be a Need For DVD roms to be manufactured :lol:

Btw here's a low down on all The DVD info U could feast ur Eyes on:
*www.videohelp.com/dvd
*www.dvd.bx.sk (For all dvd softwares)

next time plzz search before postin :)

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
kunwar said:
IS it possible that the laser waveength will get more reduced or have we reached the maximum limit? Also in a DVD Writer is only the laser different or are the other equipments also different as in is it possile to replace the 780 nm laser of VCD with 650 nm laser for DVD?(i dont think so but whats the harm in getting another opinion/s)

If that were possible, people wouldn't need to buy DVD drives now, would they? The costs incurred in "changing" a CD drive (its not just the laser that changes, a lot of the architecture, including the controller chips, change) into a DVD drive would make buying 2 DVD drives a cheaper option.

As for the wavelength issue, Blu-Ray drives are already in sale that use 405nm blue lasers. Its closest competitor, HD-DVD (which looks like it might turn into the domainant technology) uses the same 650nm laser but a more efficient compression algorithm to achieve greater data densities. Look up Google for more information.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Dood stop posting such topics! i mean what was the motive!

even my neighbour's dog would know that a dvd can't run on a cd-rom

bharathbala2003

why need title?
mail2and said:
Dood stop posting such topics! i mean what was the motive!

even my neighbour's dog would know that a dvd can't run on a cd-rom

rofl..
*deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif*deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif*deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif*deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif

well said.. this is a absurd question..i dunno how he can ask such a thing!!!

N

nipun_the_gr8

Tryin' to play DVDs in a CD-ROM is just like tryin' to play normal CDs in a Floppy Drive!!

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
nipun_the_gr8 said:
Tryin' to play DVDs in a CD-ROM is just like tryin' to play normal CDs in a Floppy Drive!!

Lol dude what are u talkin abt :lol: :lol:

A normal Cd wont even fit into a Floppy Drive :lol:

But a DVD can Surely fit into a Cd drive (Though it cant be read)

but i got ur point though lol :wink:

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
kunwar said:
as cd and dvd looks same.
only their capacity is different. 8) :wink:
WTF?
Ok answer this my brain and your's look same does that mean they are same?? wel not atleast after you posted this thread :p

kiddin' no hard feelings

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

bharathbala2003

why need title?
cooljeba said:
kunwar said:
as cd and dvd looks same.
only their capacity is different. 8) :wink:
WTF?
Ok answer this my brain and your's look same does that mean they are same?? wel not atleast after you posted this thread :p

kiddin' no hard feelings

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

lol well said.. i think this is the best explanation for ur query.. :D :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom