Why Banshee need Mono to be installed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I was thinking of installing it but then scraped the idea when I saw Mono in the list.:(

Is this thing survive over Mono only ?:!:

Even Beagle uses Mono, any alternative to that too:!:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ both beagle and banshee are built on mono framework.. thats the reason it requires mono to run...

can any one run java apps without JVM? .. nope..

praka123

left this forum longback
yeah .it is frustrating to see this mono crap is forced to the neck on GNU/Linux users.
@T :you should consider Listen! it is a good player.

better .net off from Open Source. it is a sick thing that miguel biatch forced this on us :x

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^ both beagle and banshee are built on mono framework.. thats the reason it requires mono to run...

can any one run java apps without JVM? .. nope..
Yeah saw the application list on mono webpage. Its after Monkey :)

k Installed Banshee but the new version has lost the last fm recommendation plugin :( uninstalled it now and tried an in development rhythmbox last fm recommendation plugin, though it lacks threading :(
It isn't much different from exaile and rhythmbox !

yeah .it is frustrating to see this mono crap is forced to the neck on GNU/Linux users.
@T :you should consider Listen! it is a good player.

better .net off from Open Source. it is a sick thing that miguel biatch forced this on us :x
installing listen now, but till now rhythmbox is rocking

Novell had some contract !

Last edited:
I guess its the ease of programming with mono that attracts programmers.
But Prakash, isn't mono opensource ? Why are you against it ?

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ Maybe because it is sponsored by Novell that is (in)famous for getting in bed with Microsoft :p

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Listen is not compatible with gnome 2.22.3 :(

falling back to rhythmbox

Its cross platform capability which attracts programmers atlest for me .. ease of programming is just another criteria.
And aren't QT and GTK+ both cross platform too ? Infact, GTK is the most cross platform thing ever. It runs on most all current platforms. Solaris, BSD, Linux, Apple, Microsoft, all can run GTK.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
And aren't QT and GTK+ both cross platform too ? Infact, GTK is the most cross platform thing ever. It runs on most all current platforms. Solaris, BSD, Linux, Apple, Microsoft, all can run GTK.
Yea they are cross platform.. but why did you ask this question?

Yea they are cross platform.. but why did you ask this question?
thought there was some other reason too. :)
I stated ease of use because its the only possible reason compared to native QT and GTK+.
But you said cross platform compatibility.
So I wondered if something else was in your mind. ;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
thought there was some other reason too. :)
I stated ease of use because its the only possible reason compared to native QT and GTK+.
But you said cross platform compatibility.
So I wondered if something else was in your mind. ;)
One should not be restricted to one platform/programming language.. else there will be no zing in life.. different languages have different features and it should be explored. Once should give chance to all platforms to prove what it claims to do..

One should not be restricted to one platform/programming language.. else there will be no zing in life.. different languages have different features and it should be explored. Once should give chance to all platforms to prove what it claims to do..
er... so that your reason ?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
er... so that your reason ?
Atleast for me.. :p , if it wasnt for the demand of gigasmilies for linux .. I would not have looked into QT or GTK+ both are excellent ;)

well we are getting offtopic .. lets get back to alternates for Banshee.

Atleast for me.. :p , if it wasnt for the demand of gigasmilies for linux .. I would not have looked into QT or GTK+ both are excellent ;)

well we are getting offtopic .. lets get back to alternates for Banshee.
[offtopic]
rofl :lol:
I thought you had deeper answers. Like the ones I see on oss vs propiatary threads where you act as moderator. I guess I am speaking to the plain old charan now. :p
[/offtopic]

Alternates for banshee ? Yes, Rhythembox. NEXT QUESTION ? :D

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
K guys this isn't battlefield, Metalhead get back to URT

I tried Banshee and Listen(heck is too old to start without errors), there was nothing new. So came back to the roots :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
[offtopic]
rofl :lol:
I thought you had deeper answers. Like the ones I see on oss vs propiatary threads where you act as moderator. I guess I am speaking to the plain old charan now. :p
[/offtopic]
[offtopic]
Me acting as mods? :confused: pls PM me the links where you found that.
Were you expecting me to turn this into a War thread? :lol: no im not Khaithan Boy
[/offtopic]

[offtopic]
Me acting as mods? :confused: pls PM me the links where you found that.
Were you expecting me to turn this into a War thread? :lol: no im not Khaithan Boy
[/offtopic]
[offtopic]
moderator in the sense debate moderator. You know... the type in REAL LIFE.
I guess you are too addicted to the forum to think moderator can mean something other than green name. :p
[/offtopic]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom