why are you into linux?

why do you use linux?

• the famed stability, flexibility and security of a typical linux system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • you hate profite making organisations like microsoft

• you are an unix fan, and linux gives a welcome facelift to unix(frankly, i dont understand this opti

• using linux gives you access to some exciting lanuages like perl and useful programming tools like g

• linux means geek,and you like showing off(plz,no harm meant.just click and forget)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

technomodel

Journeyman
Well, cast your vote honestly. some may think that the last option is a bit controversial, but please vote for it if it's the truth.

i'll be honest. it was the last option that brought me into linux.:oops:
but it's a combination of all of the rest that hooked me to it :lol: :lol:

btw, if there is any other reason you are using linux, dont forget to mention that

nixcraft

Journeyman
1. Hack

N. Hack :D

Okay to be frank i'm more BSD lover than the Linux.

Linux == To earn pesa
BSD == Satisfaction, I’m total in charge of power, code is clean, more stable and powerful :mrgreen:

M$ = Period no comments ;)

ujjwal

Padawan
Choice. In windows to use the latest windows would mean taking it with the added bloat (so I use win98) while in linux so many distributions run well on an old system. Plus it's so cool to run in console without a GUI! :D

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
technomode said:
the close tie between linux and the open source movement
Linux kernel was written way before the OpenSource movement started. Linux kernel is a part of the GNU Project. Any link up between linux kernel with any movement should not be a reason to adopt an OS.

technomode said:
the famed stability, flexibility and security of a typical linux system
That is true. When a herd of geeks sit to write and debug free software, then the result is gonna be quite exciting .

technomode said:
you hate profite making organisations like microsoft
Its not only about Microsoft..... Kids who are quite new to this domain might mis-understand that all this is being done to defeat Microsoft and Bill Gates. However this is far from true. GNU Project was started in 1983 to create a free world... which was dominated by biggies like IBM, Novell, SCO, AT&T .... and many others. There was a Unix war being batteled between all of them, resulting is patent lawsuites being filed and allegations being made. GNU Project was started to end all this chaos.... Microsoft along with its flagship Windows OS came in existance very late....

Strangely todays kids know only about Microsoft and think its only a Microsoft vs Linux debate. which is far from true

technomode said:
you are an unix fan, and linux gives a welcome facelift to unix(frankly, i dont understand this option myself)
This could be somewhat correct. Unix is the best OS ever written.... Its the architecture of Unix that has made it stand 30 years of evolution and competition.

technomode said:
linux stimulates your creative side,ie,you love the way you can hack into the heart of your system
GNU and Linux and most free software in general, have no restrictions as to how you wanna use the software... I definately value freedom.

technomode said:
using linux gives you access to some exciting lanuages like perl and useful programming tools like gdb
a standard GNU/Linux comes bundled with some world class compilers and interpreters... Perl, GCC, Python are available for non Unix platforms also but its true potential can be realised only on a Unix like machine...

technomode said:
linux means geek,and you like showing off(plz,no harm meant.just click nd forget)
Show off.... who do i show off to ... My family ? they wont understand anything about Linux , so no point in showing off to them..... My friends at office ?? everyone is using Linux / Unix .... who do i show off to .... they no more than me...

diab0lic666

Broken In
Man! i get excited with the freedom to change the s/w accordng to our needs. it really gives me adernaline rush. so 5 option for me.

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
c'mon anurag, u should have got it that this poll is meant mainly for the newbies in the linux domain :) . most of the poll options dont apply to experienced users like you.
now to defend my options in the light of ur arguments

GNUrag wrote
technomode wrote:
the close tie between linux and the open source movement

Linux kernel was written way before the OpenSource movement started. Linux kernel is a part of the GNU Project. Any link up between linux kernel with any movement should not be a reason to adopt an OS.

that's a fact. but it is also a fact that you cant deny the impact linux has had in the free software movement. perdon me if it sounds crude, but the OS itself is the most importsnt software in the sysytem, and can anything have greater impact if the OS itself is classified as a free software?

let's face it, most of the people who start using linux dont know what open source is all about. but as they continue using it and get access to the thousands of cheaper and/or free alternatives of costlier applications, some of them may feel the urge to continue using them to promote the use of these free softwares, may be as a sort of a protest against these organisations. i specifically mentioned microsoft, because when you spell "piracy" or "essential costly software" the first thing that comes to your mind is windows.

technomode wrote:
you hate profite making organisations like microsoft

Its not only about Microsoft..... Kids who are quite new to this domain might mis-understand that all this is being done to defeat Microsoft and Bill Gates. However this is far from true. GNU Project was started in 1983 to create a free world... which was dominated by biggies like IBM, Novell, SCO, AT&T .... and many others. There was a Unix war being batteled between all of them, resulting is patent lawsuites being filed and allegations being made. GNU Project was started to end all this chaos.... Microsoft along with its flagship Windows OS came in existance very late....

Strangely todays kids know only about Microsoft and think its only a Microsoft vs Linux debate. which is far from true

again you got me wrong anurag :) .as i said, i specifically mentioned microsoft here because most of the new linux user's dont know the philosophy behind the GNU project.What they know is that they are doing something that will help the future computer users by forcing software giants(specifically microsoft) adopt a new policy in their software licensing.

technomode wrote:
linux means geek,and you like showing off(plz,no harm meant.just click nd forget)

Show off.... who do i show off to ... My family ? they wont understand anything about Linux , so no point in showing off to them..... My friends at office ?? everyone is using Linux / Unix .... who do i show off to .... they no more than me...

i admit, i could have been subtler. what i meant is that you need not feel you are a genius, you are a superman, but let's face it, there's nothing daring in running a wrapped up application like windows for maintaining your sysytem. on the other hand, when people begin using linux, they can feel that it is something different.it is not like they are being spoon-fed with something that has already been prepared by someone else, but they have to DEVELOP whatever it is they are using.they have the ability to make it behave EXACTLY the way they want it to. deny it or not, if you feel this, you are bound have a feeling of accomplishment, that you are into something different,something separate from this world of msconfig and gpedit and norton antivirus and so on.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
come on technomodel, i wasn't flaming anyone... just chill off... you dont have to defend any of your options .... each person has his/her own opinions... these were mine... i had nothing else to do at the time of typing that... so i made that post a little long... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) these forum postings can't get the real emotion into text... i was not in a serious mood you see :) :) :) :)

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
both u guys . techno and gnu , were using smileys in ur post , so why do u think it was a flame . i thought it made a gr8 healthy discussion . more ppl enlightened now . keep it going guys ;)

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
hey technomodel, i cudnt vote coz none of the options suit the purpose for which i installed linux: Just to learn...i installed linux to know what it is, how it runs...
if u can, add that option too :)

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
something i got from the net . a guy was troubleshooting a windows problem in another forum and made these predictions , which might come true ;) . it was found here :

*www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1047532372

interesting to note annoyances.org doesnt even have a linux section ;)

"If it turns out I can't use this system with winxp anymore, we'll try making this
box a freebsd server.

This is the most god damn mind boggling problem I've had since the early 90's when
computers did crap like this on a regular basis. This kind of stuff may have been
half-acceptable a decade ago, but its just pathetic nowdays.

By my estimation we're about 3 years out from being able to fully switch to *nix
as a desktop OS, and leave this crap behind. Course, just then longhorn will come
out, just in the nick of time, and it will have features I can't live without, and
i'll be stuck with this crap for another 10 years."

*www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article09-208

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
thnx for ur inputs firewall and sreevirus :) . i guess i have missed a few options for this poll. but plz continue ur voting, and if u think the given options are not good enough, post your own reason.

@gnurag
i know u were'nt flaming m8 :) .
it's just that u'r very passionate abt the GNU project and it's impact in the present world, while i regard the GNU project only as one of the best, if not the best warrior of the free software movement that is spreading over the world. :roll:

it does not matter in what light one sees this move for freedom, what is important is that he makes sure he is moving with it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom