Why anyone need DNS control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
Why anyone need DNS control and More info on DNS

Dear friends, I want to know more about DNS control. Why do I need it and what are the advantages?

Last edited:

Gursimran

WebDev :)
If you are using VPS or Dedicated server then you need it otherwise for regular host.....no need :)
regards. :D

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
debiprasad_sahoo said:
Dear friends, I want to know more about DNS control. Why do I need it and what are the advantages?

Only if you want some part of websites to be handled by another server. For example,

Mail > Google
blog.urdomain.com > Host1
forum.urdomain.com > host2
urdomain.com > Main Server :)

OP
debiprasad_sahoo

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
If I use dns, can I display the url
myname.wordress.org as myname.mydomain.com ?

@ Sukhdeep Singh
I can't get mail > Google
Can u please explain it. Thanks

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
debiprasad_sahoo said:

@ Sukhdeep Singh

1. You can
2. Basically i meant that you can edit DNS MX records and forward your mail to Google Servers. Check out Google Apps for more..

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
debiprasad_sahoo said:

@ Sukhdeep Singh
do some experiments here:
google.com/a
domains.live.com

Also with DNS control you can chage your blogspot site into yourdomain.com

Pathik

Google Bot
A records are used to map a domain to an IP.
MX are Mail exchange records.
NS are used to specify the nameservers.
Cname are used to point it to another domain.

OP
debiprasad_sahoo

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
pathiks said:
A records are used to map a domain to an IP.
MX are Mail exchange records.
NS are used to specify the nameservers.
Cname are used to point it to another domain.

Thanks Pathiks, I need to know about TXT records and SOA Parameters.

Can you please give more info about Mail Exchange Records?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
TXT Record
Provides the ability to associate some text with a host or other name. The TXT record is used to define the Sender Policy Framework (SPF) information record which may be used to validate legitimate email sources from a domain.
This can be used to make ur mail not be treated as spam.

SOA-->>Start of Authority Record.
The SOA defines global parameters for the zone (domain). Only one SOA record allowed in a zone.

Last edited:
OP
debiprasad_sahoo

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
For my domain name I have given both my host's names server & my dns names server addresses. But it showed some error, that's why I removed, my hosts names server addresses from that. Now I can access my dns management, but what to do to access my website? Where to set the names server addresses of my host?

OP
debiprasad_sahoo

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
Who is your Domain Registrar ??? Checkout this page for more Tutorials on updating DNS :)

*www.host4cheap.org/tutorials.php

Thanks for ur tutorial. I hv checked ur site tutorial. But I didn't find any solution of my problem.
My problem is that, I host my site in one shared hosting. So I have to use the Names Server address provided by them. When for my domain, I use this NS addresses in Names Server settings, I can access my site. But I have bought DNS for my domain also. So, when I added the names sever addresses of dns management, I can not access mange DNS page. If I remove Names Server addresses of my host, then I able to access manage DNS, but can not access my host. To access my host by mydomain.com, what I have to do? If you can help me, It will be great for me.

ahref

In the zone
You have to use, NS of your hosting, then manage DNS tools provided by your host. You can't use DNS at domain control panel, if you are using hosting.

Contact your host to provide access to DNS management or ask them to do DNS management on your behalf.

OP
debiprasad_sahoo

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
You have to use, NS of your hosting, then manage DNS tools provided by your host. You can't use DNS at domain control panel, if you are using hosting.

Contact your host to provide access to DNS management or ask them to do DNS management on your behalf.
Thanks Dear, U mean that I can use either my host or dns provided by my domain name registrar. I think there should be any way to use both. I am tring to solve this. If anyone can help, then it will be great.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
My problem is that, I host my site in one shared hosting. So I have to use the Names Server address provided by them. When for my domain, I use this NS addresses in Names Server settings, I can access my site. But I have bought DNS for my domain also. So, when I added the names sever addresses of dns management, I can not access mange DNS page. If I remove Names Server addresses of my host, then I able to access manage DNS, but can not access my host. To access my host by mydomain.com, what I have to do? If you can help me, It will be great for me.

I didnt understant your question properly, can you explain by breaking up in steps or point wise and with examples :)

OP
debiprasad_sahoo

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
I didnt understant your question properly, can you explain by breaking up in steps or point wise and with examples :)
Yes, sure.

• I bought a domain name with dns management
  • I hosted my site at examplehost.com
  • my host provided me two names server addresses, such as ns1.examplehost.com and ns2.examplehost.com
  • I have added this ns in my domain overview names server setting (parent names server)
  • Then to use dns management what I bought, I need to give the names servers of the dns management
  • Now I have added these names server addresses to the parent names server field
  • Everything was ok then, but one day when I added some cname records in my manage dns page, I found that my cname records are not working. (I have waited for 48 for this)
  • Now I also found that I can not access my dns management page
  • Then I removed my hosts names server addresses from parent names server field
  • Then I able to access dns management
  • If I will continue with this ns settings, how can I point to my host, where I have hosted my site
Yesterday when I once again added the names server address (ns1.examplehost.com, ...) to the parent ns field, I able to access my site.
Please note that, The day before yesterday, I have added this two ns(ns1.examplehost.com,...) in the ns settings of my dns management.

Thanks for your interest to help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom