who to install xp without installing Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

harshagarwal

Journeyman
please someone tell me the procedure to install WinXP without installing Win98.

I want to do this for my new comp.

plz help

paraman

Journeyman
Did anybody tell you that it was essential to install win98 first and then only you would be able to install winxp? Well, it isn't!

Change the boot sequence in the BIOS to boot from cd-rom and insert the winxp cd into your cd drive and reboot. Just follow the prompts from then onwards.

Gaurav

In the zone
Follow these simple steps. Under the DOS run the file winnt.exe in the I386 folder of your winxp cd it will then ask u for installation files location. ur done

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Jus pop in ur BOOTABLE WIN XP CD in the CD ROM (selected as 1st priority in the Boot option) and follow the on screen options to install a fresh copy of WIN XP on ur new partition.....

cheers n peace...

utsavhanda

Broken In
Hi

Hi There,

TRY UWin Installer Software From USOFT LTD.

UWI INTRO :
---------------------

Do You Want To Install Or Upgrade Micosoft Windows Operating System On Your Computer With Setup Files On Your Hard Disk.

Then UWin Installer (UWI) is what you NEED!

UWI Is A Tool For Quick & Easy Install Or Upgrade Of Microsoft Windows O.S. By End User From Setup Files On Hard Disk Without
End User Attention.

UWI works for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/2003 Operating System Installation.

GET MORE UWI INFO : *www.geocities.com/utsav_handa/uwi.html

supersaiyan

In the zone
i also wanna ask something. i got win 98 currently. if i intall win xp over win 98 will i lose my data . i mean will i lose my downloads and other stuff?

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
supersaiyan said:
i also wanna ask something. i got win 98 currently. if i intall win xp over win 98 will i lose my data . i mean will i lose my downloads and other stuff?
NO WAY
You are not gonna lose the data if you choose not to format the disk....
You should run the setup from Windows 98 and you will be given a choice to update............
If all your programs and hardware are compatible with Windows XP, you can upgrade easily.................
Or you may even select to use DUAL BOOT (Both XP and 98)

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
harshagarwal said:
please someone tell me the procedure to install WinXP without installing Win98.

I want to do this for my new comp.

plz help

Man, are you buyin' Windows XP??
If so, look for Bootable Version of XP (coz I think they also distribute UPGRADE ONLY version which installs from Windows OSes only).......

After that, press DEL while booting up to enter into the BIOS (may be you may have to press any other button like F2. Try some buttons if DEL and F2 dont work)..............

Dont change anything else there unless you are sure about what you are doing or your computer may be unbooltable...............

Look for BOOT Device Priority or First Boot Device and change the First Boot Device to CDROM and Second Boot device to HDD.........
Save the settings and........

Insert Win XP CDROM and restart your computer...., it should ask you to press any key to boot from CD.......... do it...........

And then read the whole screen before you proceed............. You should read everything in the screen before you proceed so that you dont mess up with something............

Follow the on screen instructions and then select the partition where you want to install the OS....... If it is a damn new system, then your HDD should be new and unpartitioned. SO create a orimary partition (C:) of small size (like 10 GB or like that if you have a 20 40 or 80 Gb hdd) and install it there....... You can leave the other space unpartitioned coz you can do it better with Logical Disk Manager of XP itself.........

Then copying files will start and after sometime your Computer will reboot .........
This time it says to press any key to boot from CD.........., DONT press anything.... let the computer boot from HDD and again follow the onscreen instructions and provide your info... Like your name, company, timezone, Product key and such...............

And your XP will be up and running in less than 45 mins........... (Well that depends on your system)

supersaiyan

In the zone
what if i do a fresh install of xp on new seagate. then i plug the old quantum fireball which has win 98.then i switch on the comp. then will i be prompted at the boot screen to boot into one of the 2 os? also f10 usually works for booting into the bios.

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
Then one question ????

how to remove that boot installed XP and install other OS??? :roll: :roll: :roll: Any idea???? :roll: :roll:

Nimda

l33t n00b!
supersaiyan said:
what if i do a fresh install of xp on new seagate. then i plug the old quantum fireball which has win 98.then i switch on the comp. then will i be prompted at the boot screen to boot into one of the 2 os? also f10 usually works for booting into the bios.
Yes, it will but not if you use your procedure. What you have to do is, connect the Quantum fireball, boot using the CD, install XP. It's important that XP recognizes the Fireball and also the Win98 installation present in it. Otherwise, there won't be any option for Dual boot.

Nimda

l33t n00b!
cvvikram said:
Then one question ????

how to remove that boot installed XP and install other OS??? :roll: :roll: :roll: Any idea???? :roll: :roll:
If you want to install Windows 98 after installing XP, then check out this guide. In case you want to install Linux over XP, then the linux bootloader will be used for the Dual boot. Not the XP one.

And if you want to remove XP altogether, then just format the partition in which XP is installed :wink:

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
supersaiyan said:

No.
Only 1 os............
No os choices menu will be seen.............
Segate will boot XP ONLY
and Quantum will boot 98 ONLY

and what do you mean by this??
supersaiyan said:
also f10 usually works for booting into the bios.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
cvvikram said:
Then one question ????

Well, it depends.........
If you have a FAT32 partition in which you installed XP, you can just format it and reinstall...........
if you have NTFS partition you'll need to use FDISK of some partitining toll to recover and format your Ntfs partition/s to fat32 and install 98............

D

Deleted member 5901

Gaurav said:
Follow these simple steps. Under the DOS run the file winnt.exe in the I386 folder of your winxp cd it will then ask u for installation files location. ur done

This is the correct solution for him i guess !!!

Coz i think he means he does not have a Botable Win xp cd and thats he he always has to install win98 1st !!! So the solution 2 his question hs been answered by GAURAV !!!!

CHEERS !!!! :wink: :!:

be_cool_vivek

Right off the assembly line
well here it is

:D you need to have win xp boot cd
to make a boot cd of xp .....

things needed.

a) boot image extractor software:- isobuster (download it NOW search google for it)
b) winxp cd
c) nero cd writing software
d) 700mb of free disk space (can be freed after the task can be done)

que:-what to do?
ans:-
step I :-
copy each & every content of the win xp cd on any drive having at least 700 mb of free space.

step II :-
(a.) if
you can get a booable cd from your freind fine.
put it in the drive ,now open isobuster there will be an option naming "bootable cd" or like that .select it there will be 2 files listed there select the one having extention as .img right click it there will be many options choose the first one.extract the image file to a location which u can remember.
return his cd back you do not need it any more.

or

(b.)tell me your email adress so that i can send you the boot image.

step III :-
open nero burning rom software select new compilation as cd rom(boot)
now select the source as image file.
next enable epert settings .
change as following expert settings:-

emulation = no emulaton
boot message = "no change"
load segments = 07C0
number load sectors = 4

now select label tab & rename the name as 'winxp_pro'
now select burn tab & tick mark the opton 'finalise cd'.
press new

add all the win xp files and folders that you have stored in the first step
(tip : you may also add other files that you may need like drivers or other softwares just to fll up the disk you are writing at)

step IV :-
finally burn the disk .

enjoy!!!!!!
your newly created win xp bootable setup cd
now you can just boot up from the cd and do a fresh instal of winxp . and you don't need win98 to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom