Who says Vista is a flop????

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
Windows Vista has only been out in general consumer release for a month, but already Microsoft is touting it as the best-selling version of Windows ever released. The company announced that Vista sales—licenses sold to PC manufacturers, copies sold to retailers, and upgrades ordered through the Windows Vista Express Upgrade program—have exceeded 20 million copies. Microsoft says that this is represents a "more than doubling" of the initial pace of Windows XP sales, which reached only 17 million in January 2002, after two months on the market.

For complete info here is the source

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
While attending a shareholder and Wall Street analyst conference in New York at the end of the past week, Ballmer told analysts to temper their “overly aggressive” Windows Vista forecasts. During the Financial Analyst Briefing - New York City, Thursday, February 15, 2007, Ballmer said: “I'm really excited on how enthusiastic everybody is about Vista. I, too, am very enthusiastic about Vista. But I think sometimes the enthusiasm about this great product and the excitement and the launch, people have to understand our revenue models because I think some of the revenue forecasts I've seen out there for Windows Vista in fiscal year '08 are overly aggressive.”

Check out: *news.softpedia.com/news/Gates-039-Incredible-Vista-Reception-Contradicts-Ballmer-47673.shtml

shantanu

Technomancer
in 1.5% of total world population... and 3% are OSS users, means just half way in 2 months... and this proves that in one year it will be a huge hit, surely some people do critisize Vista , for many reason that are currenly being resolved, but the main thing is that Vista's Kernel is so powerfull that it will surely overtake the market in quite a small time...

Its the best i have experienced, cant say about anything else i have not used, but if MAC was better then why only 5.3% of whole worlds population uses it. and nearly 85 % in now windows XP and somewhat 7 % in other windows OS(win98, 95 & me) etc. while, the percentages i said above may varry by points per day, but approx. it this only... so everyone knows whats best... :D

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
In all fairness, while the reliability feedback might as well be better than Microsoft has predicted, the Vista sales are not. This because Steve Ballmer, on the same occasion as the operating system's launch, has revealed that Microsoft is expecting Vista to have an adoption rate double than that of Windows XP. But the fact of the matter is that Windows Vista has failed to outperform XP in terms of sales.

shantanu

Technomancer
your main reason to say this Mr. Nepcker is that you are a APPLE FANBOY, so go on.. i also learnt not to argue with fanboys,,, :p

amitava82

MMO Addict
when a product is monopolistic in nature, there is no point of arguing that it will be 'flop' or 'winner' because in this scenario its the 'product which controls the market Not the 'product'. So the result is obvious. because majority of the consumers don't have any choice.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey shantanu let it be ... its 1-2 months its launched half the comps are not capable of running what lese does 1 expect ... the scene is gonna be different after 6 months ppl buying new pcs will certainly go for the vista (fanboys will comment that the cost is blah and customers will look at macs) but the MS mindset will prevail long ahead simply coz ... they offer a wider range of services such as xbox integration, zune, and all its all inter connected and thats how ppl like it ... integration between device ... so vista will stand tall as all MS OSs have over time

amitava82 said:
of the consumers don't have any choice.
who says they dont have choice ... u can anytime opt for the mac or linux no 1 is holding a gun to ur head wen u buy a new pc saying that use vista or il shoot u

Last edited:

abhi1301

gEttIn 0uT@@@ BOXX
mAV3 said:
who says they dont have choice ... u can anytime opt for the mac or linux no 1 is holding a gun to ur head wen u buy a new pc saying that use vista or il shoot u

This is really AMUSING :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

amitava82

MMO Addict
Listen pal i don't have any intention to fight. whether u agree or not its a economic fact.. if you have little interest in economics then it will be easy for you to understand. what i said is "because majority of the consumers don't have any choice." . imho 90% of computer users dont know how to use linux. for many people mac is costly. For example in India people dont by PC equipped with 7600GT majority of people go for a pc ranging 15 to 25K. they dont even pay for OS. some of them don't know what piracy is or their mindset is "Why would i pay for a OS when i can copy for 50 bucks?" Don't forget its the "piracy" that lead Windows to Monopoly.

Let me give some practical example how i don't have any choice:

1. My trading company use "Microsoft virtual machine" applet for online trading system. they don't use Java which is open to all OS. because they think this world have only one OS. this is an effect of windows monopoly.

2. My bank's online payment service (HDFC) only works with Internet explorer.

3. I want to schedule a visa appointment with US embassy. its a online procedure. but their site only works with IE.

3. I can not play my favorite games in my linux box.

this is just few example out of hundreds. this is where i don't have any choice.

Last edited:
OP
kirangp

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
From now onwards one thing is guarantee that most new PCs will be equipped with Windows Vista & hardly anyone would use XP....This was the same case when XP came out..It really picked up steam after 3-4 months of release & all due to laptops,branded PCs...

mediator

Technomancer
^Most new pcs may or may not be equipped with VISTA. "Guranteed".....doesn't fit ur statement!
*www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8382062536.html
*www.techspot.com/news/24406-dell-customers-demand-linux.html
*www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8999809360.html

OP
kirangp

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
Well I should put my statement in a different way....Most users(upgrading or buying a new PC) will opt for a Windows Vista PC....This time I can add guarantee to it;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Ahem...so many misconceptions

amitava82 said:
Listen pal i don't have any intention to fight. whether u agree or not its a economic fact.. if you have little interest in economics then it will be easy for you to understand. what i said is "because majority of the consumers don't have any choice." imho 90% of computer users dont know how to use linux.

So, whose fault is that

1) Is it PC Manufacturers? Who like to install an OS for there customars with maximum support available in terms of software & hardware drivers.

2) Is it the Linux community which despite of being good is yet not user friendly or feature based enough to excite the Average Joe. hell, he know how to use computer & for him an OS = Windows. Grow up dude, Windows is the standerd in OS out there, other brands & companies colloborate with it to work together. No one is beating anyone here. It is not the fault of MS .

amitava82 said:
they dont even pay for OS. some of them don't know what piracy is or their mindset is "Why would i pay for a OS when i can copy for 50 bucks?" Don't forget its the "piracy" that lead Windows to Monopoly.

hmm, Piracy is a problem in India. What about Europe or U.S.A., it is not such a big problem there right? So why do people still buy Windows there & only a few try linux.

1. My trading company use "Microsoft virtual machine" applet for online trading system. they don't use Java which is open to all OS. because they think this world have only one OS. this is an effect of windows monopoly.

Wait wait, so? you are getting your work done, what do u care for? Doing your work or bashing the company for not using JAVA.

Oh & I don't think I need to tell u how slow Java is. If they use it & it is slow, still you will bash the company saying it is such a slow system. The company uses MS VM cos it is fast & just works with there machines or system out there fine. It is not there fault that Windows is fulfilling all there needs

2. My bank's online payment service (HDFC) only works with Internet explorer.

Umm....so this is the fault of Microsoft that HDFC has not developed a standerd complient website? Wow, talk about blaiming someone else just so that you look good.

3. I want to schedule a visa appointment with US embassy. its a online procedure. but their site only works with IE.

Again, is it the fault of MS? Yo dude, go talk to U.S. Embassy not to MS. They made a product now what the embassy uses is there decision. Why are you blaming MS for making a system that the embassy find suitable for there needs. Plz provide them a feedback. We did the same few years ago when the site of IGNOU had problems with Firefox

3. I can not play my favorite games in my linux box.

Which is again a problem due to MS, right. U make me laugh :-D . That game is made for Windows operating system, obviously it won't work in Linux. Do you expect to use a honda unicorn tire in CBZ Extreme?

this is just few example out of hundreds. this is where i don't have any choice

So, is this the fault of MS that Windows is the most dominent OS out there, which is supported by maximum number of users & caters the maximum number of market share for which the developers know that there product will sale?

meditator said:
^Most new pcs may or may not be equipped with VISTA. "Guranteed".....doesn't fit ur statement!

Again, it is the choice of manufacturers what OS they give. is it a fashion tto blame MS for everything?

There was a nuclear blast in Africa some days ago :D, MS is to be blamed cos there OS which was running a bugged software from the Nuclear plant authority, crashed giving a BSOD.

if MS goes the Apple Mac way, closed system in which the hardware & software are fixed then trust me, Linux will roll on ground cos then the OS will be optimized for the hardware & full support for drivers etc with no crash.

amitava82

MMO Addict
gx_saurav said:
if MS goes the Apple Mac way, closed system in which the hardware & software are fixed then trust me, Linux will roll on ground cos then the OS will be optimized for the hardware & full support for drivers etc with no crash.

I completely agree with this point. Thats the whole point of MS Success, monopoly and Root of all the problem i've mentioned. 3rd party company don't bother to support other OS because they make enough money from 90% of world's PC users using Windows. And you can not force them to do that. its like "you don't want to use windows, don't use our product or don't ask for support". had the ratio been 50-50 the scenario would have been different. and thats we want to do. we just want support for our OS. we don't want to bury Windows. but believe me if this happens i.e., if we could do the same job in Linux or Mac like Windows, that will happen automatically.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, like I said many times, Linux has no standerd yet. There are so many distributions to support by a company

mediator

Technomancer
gx_saurav said:
Again, it is the choice of manufacturers what OS they give. is it a fashion tto blame MS for everything?
Can u point out where exactly I put the blame on MS here and for what?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^^^^^

I didn't say u r blaming, i said it on a general thought here. Blame MS for everything, its not there fault that there products are so user friendly & widely accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom