which UPS will perform my needs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
My configuration is

P4 3 GHz with Iltel 915GAV mb, the power requirements are ---

1.300Watt SMPS -----> contribute to 420 VA [Digit Calculation]

2.Samsung Syncmaster 763MB Magic Bright 17" ---> 115 VA

3.Canon Printer xnui255 ----> 21 VA

these are connected to my 625VA BPE UPS, but everytime there's a power failure the machine reboots .

I need a solution for this , as i want to connect two more things

1.Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 ---> 51 VA

2.ADSL Modem -----> 10 VA

Total = 420+115+21+51+10=617 VA


So should going for a 800VA or 1000VA UPS solve my problems

If I do need a new UPS , which one should I Opt for ???

Do reply fast
 

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
i have heard abt this prob frm quite a few frnds too
i think this is a prob in the circuit rather than lack of power

as for the new UPS , APC always
 
OP
T

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
APC Smart-UPS 750VA USB & Serial 230V has Rs 8525/-

output Connections
(6) IEC 320 C13
(2) IEC Jumpers

whereas the
APC BACK-UPS ES 650VA 230V INDIA has Rs3200/-

(1) India 2/3-pin 6A (Surge Protection)
(3) India 2/3-pin 6A (Battery Backup)

So how do I use 3pin plugs on IEC connectors ??

Please suggest and help
 

choudang

Padawan
you will get the ext'n cord. or you will get from from market.. won't cost you too much ... below 100~ don't worry...
 

janitha

Wise Old Owl
warrior said:
you will get the ext'n cord. or you will get from from market.. won't cost you too much ... below 100~ don't worry...

I have a related querry since I am also using a relatively uptodate system and a 17" CRT!

A 600 VA UPS does indeed work reasonably well but I feel it is not sufficient especially when there are power fluctuations. (Of course I know that the VA ratings are mostly up rated)

My question is whether using 2 separate UPSs for monitor and the system will be better since a 500 or 600 VA costs around Rs.2000 while one in the Range of 750-1000 costs nearly 10000.

V.Prem Kumar
 

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
Yes you can buy two 500VA ups also.

i use two ups's one 500va and one 700va.

500VA for cpu and 700 va for Monitor and additional cooling fans. It this does pretty good job for me.

Regards...
 

janitha

Wise Old Owl
shivaranjan.b said:
Yes you can buy two 500VA ups also.

i use two ups's one 500va and one 700va.

500VA for cpu and 700 va for Monitor and additional cooling fans. It this does pretty good job for me.

Regards...

Thanks, but what I feel is that a modern CPU (system) consumes much more power than a 15" or 17" monitor. Or are you using a 19" or 21" ?.

V.Prem Kumar
 

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
Sorry for the Goof Up.

it is 700va for my cpu and 500 va for my 17" Crt monitor.

My Config:
Intel Pentium 4 2.40 GHz (Northwood Core) OverClocked to 2.8GHz, On Asrock P4i65GV Mobo, 512 MB Transcend DDR 400 Mhz, 160 GB Seagate SATA HDD, 120 GB Samsung PATA HDD, GeForce FX5500 256MB GFX Card, LG GCE-8525B 52x32x52x CD Burner, Lite-On SOHW-1633S 16x48x32x48x16x DVD Burner, Creative 2.1 Inspire Series, 17" Samsung Syncmaster 793MB True Flat, Powered By 2 Microtek 600 VA UPS, 1 GB Portable Flash Drive, 10m Range Bluetooth Dongle, 4m Range Infrared Dongle, 25 in 1 memory Card Reader, Image Capturing: Sony Cybershot 5.1 megapixel DSC-F88, HCL Web Cam, Cooled By 9 fans, Running Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 Server (Enterprise Edition)

i get a backup time of 40 minutes to 45 minutes when the batteries are new.


Regards...
 

Huzefa

Journeyman
Why not use an 500VA inverter in conjuntion with a UPS . It can give u a backup of nearly 2.5 Hrs to 3 Hrs on a single battery I use the PC and TV , buth run for at least 2.6 Hrs . I know what a UPS and Inverter is , but what is the main difference betn them ???
 

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Huzefa said:
Why not use an 500VA inverter in conjuntion with a UPS . It can give u a backup of nearly 2.5 Hrs to 3 Hrs on a single battery I use the PC and TV , buth run for at least 2.6 Hrs . I know what a UPS and Inverter is , but what is the main difference betn them ???

Instead of using an Inverter in conjunction with a UPS it is better, technically and economically, to use a UPS which supports an external tubular lead acid battery. Based on the capacity of the battery in VA and the ability of the UPS to charge it, it can run for hours.

V.Prem Kumar
 

countrock

Broken In
janitha said:
Huzefa said:
Why not use an 500VA inverter in conjuntion with a UPS . It can give u a backup of nearly 2.5 Hrs to 3 Hrs on a single battery I use the PC and TV , buth run for at least 2.6 Hrs . I know what a UPS and Inverter is , but what is the main difference betn them ???

Instead of using an Inverter in conjunction with a UPS it is better, technically and economically, to use a UPS which supports an external tubular lead acid battery. Based on the capacity of the battery in VA and the ability of the UPS to charge it, it can run for hours.

V.Prem Kumar

gud idea..but i have never heard of any desktop UPS wich supports external batteries. only those very very expensive cummercial ones wich have 10-50 batteries.

can u give a specific model no. and the price? wud be very helpful

thx :)
 

janitha

Wise Old Owl
countrock said:
janitha said:
Huzefa said:
Why not use an 500VA inverter in conjuntion with a UPS . It can give u a backup of nearly 2.5 Hrs to 3 Hrs on a single battery I use the PC and TV , buth run for at least 2.6 Hrs . I know what a UPS and Inverter is , but what is the main difference betn them ???

Instead of using an Inverter in conjunction with a UPS it is better, technically and economically, to use a UPS which supports an external tubular lead acid battery. Based on the capacity of the battery in VA and the ability of the UPS to charge it, it can run for hours.

V.Prem Kumar

gud idea..but i have never heard of any desktop UPS wich supports external batteries. only those very very expensive cummercial ones wich have 10-50 batteries.

can u give a specific model no. and the price? wud be very helpful

thx :)

I wrote that since I have been using a Safe Power 700 VA UPS (may not be available everywhere since it is "Made in Kerala") which has provision and terminals for external lead-acid battery. It was my second UPS and have been using it for the last 6 years. I has 2 x 12V 7AH batteries which I had to replace 1 1/2 years back. It gives reasonable backup (for my purposes) and hence I did'nt connect an external battery till now.

V.Prem Kumar
 
OP
T

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
Dear all,

there's been a good discussion going on, can anyone give me the total consumption of my system at full load

My System is :

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz (Prescott), On Intel 915GAV Mobo, 512 MB Hynix DDR 400 Mhz, 160 GB Samsung SATA HDD, LG HL-DT-ST CDRW GCE-8527B 52x32x52x CD Burner, Creative Inspire 5.1 5200, 17" Samsung Syncmaster 793MB True Flat, Canon xnui255 printer, ADSL modem

To be added soon :

XFX GeForce 6600GT 256MB PCI-E
Sony Double Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer DRU810A
VIP 400W SMPS + Additional Fans


I now have a BPE 625VA UPS, so would buying a 500VA UPS from APC fulfill all my present and future upgradation needs, or I need to go for a 700VA or 750VA UPS and discard the current one I am having
 

TechGuru#1

In the zone
will 2 500-600VA "NUMERIC" UPS workup to a 1000VA UPS
I'm asking this,b'coz i have got a 19" CRT,along with 6800GS,3500+Proccy,along with a MFD.....& more so as i 'm NOT getting a 1000VA UPS directly at my place

So,wiil the 500VA+500VA = 1000VA formula work out?
 

janitha

Wise Old Owl
TechGuru#1 said:
will 2 500-600VA "NUMERIC" UPS workup to a 1000VA UPS
I'm asking this,b'coz i have got a 19" CRT,along with 6800GS,3500+Proccy,along with a MFD.....& more so as i 'm NOT getting a 1000VA UPS directly at my place

So,wiil the 500VA+500VA = 1000VA formula work out?

You mau use them separately for the monitor and the system but I feel that in your case (3500+6800 GS etc.) higher capacity UPS is needed for the system. See, VA x Power Factor will give the Wattage and supposing PF is 0.6, the actual power of a 500 VA UPS is only 360 Watts.

V.Prem Kumar
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom