Which RAM should I buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
I want to buy buy minimum 1gb ram in dual ch .
i stay in delhi . i have amd 64bit 939 winchester with asus a8n-e . tell shop name , ph no, price,latencies etc for ddr 400/433/450/466/500/533 or other frequencies.
for 512mb and 1gb modules

Tell which is better by how much:

Hynix D43 chips
Corsair Value Select
Corsair 3200C2
Transcend
Kingston PSC

for :
performance in gaming and 3ds apps
stability
overclocking(optional)
longer life and warranty

the cost of both modules together,advise under 8k.

theraven

Technomancer
corsair
if u find it too expensive .. corsair value select
then kingston
then transcen
then hynix
in that order

kingston offers gr8 value for money and even good overclockability

OP
A

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
but isn't nowadys kingsotn considered not even as good as hynix d43 and also kingston doesn't it give no oc now?

also,i have returned corsair value slect ,had it earlier ,probs with this mobo or something.

will transcend be compatitible.

should i take ddr 533 ram will it work at ddr 533 without ocing my cpu or increasing fsb

corsair for 2800 + tax that time

theraven

Technomancer
transcend would be ur choice then
i myself am gettin a pair of transcend stickd for my friend

533 isnt worth it ... u need to OC

rohanbee

Padawan
I have always used kingston. Really good ram and good support too. Plus you can easily verify it online for genuinity.
Als gives good latency and timings with comparisons to other value rams.
If you want to go for really good memory which can also be easily oc's then OCZ is the one.

OP
A

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
does kingston even compete corsair or ocz
kingston hyper x if you wanna take performance ram then why not corsair xms

also,in ddr normally no manufaturer gives worse than 3-3-3-8,does kingston give any better

also,kingston may have many chips like those by hynix etc the one by infineon may be crap
hynix may be better buy orignal hynix d43(not of kingston , the own manufacutrer ) may be even better
also,with mosel ships my mobo might not have support

the one in delhi maybe using psc chips

also,when did you last buy kingston,as earlier it used to be better amaybe

magnet

Youngling
only i bet is that stay away frm corsair value select...... i hav seen 1 mor guy facing a prob and having asus a8ne board... so strictly avoid it....

for other try transcend.....or kingston....if possible try to get original hynix...

OP
A

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
i have been offered price of 2400 for hynix d43 , 512mb ddr 400
TA 512mb ddr 533 for 2750 or something sorta tat

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Go for Hynix D43 based generic chips.Most of them are based on Brainpower PCB these days.

They OC like hell too.

Mine did 280 @ 3-4-4-8
and 240 @ 2.5-3-3-7

I wouldnt go for Transcend,Corsair value select....

imjimmy

Broken In
[quoteI have always used kingston. Really good ram and good support too. Plus you can easily verify it online for genuinity[/quote]

How can it be verified online?? I recently bought
2 chips of 512 MB DDR 400 KVR.. Can i see online if it's genuine?

rohanbee

Padawan
akshyat said:
does kingston even compete corsair or ocz
kingston hyper x if you wanna take performance ram then why not corsair xms

also,in ddr normally no manufaturer gives worse than 3-3-3-8,does kingston give any better

also,kingston may have many chips like those by hynix etc the one by infineon may be ****
hynix may be better buy orignal hynix d43(not of kingston , the own manufacutrer ) may be even better
also,with mosel ships my mobo might not have support

the one in delhi maybe using psc chips

also,when did you last buy kingston,as earlier it used to be better amaybe
Firstly kingston always made good ram and they still do. Corsair is also not as good as ypu think it is. It suffers from a lot of problems too. OCZ is a different league and the price differences between a value ram and ocz are obviously no comparison.

Secondly, does not mean that since hynix might supply the chips that they automatically become the best (they are hardly popular abroad) just like ati supplies the gpu on a graphics card so why aren't their branded cards the best why do leadtek and others make better ati chipset based cards??

Third my kingston values ram pc3200 gives back a timming of 3337 so whoever told you that it gives worse than 3338 is highly mistaken.

imjimmy said:
I have always used kingston. Really good ram and good support too. Plus you can easily verify it online for genuinity

How can it be verified online?? I recently bought
2 chips of 512 MB DDR 400 KVR.. Can i see online if it's genuine?

Go to the kingston website......search for online verification and then follow online steps indicated. Also note that you will have to note some numbers which will be present on your ram module. So better note down all these before you go online otherwise you will have to shut down everything take out your ram dimms and then start the process of verification over.....[/quote]

OP
A

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Just bought 512mb ddr 400 hynix d43 for 3025 each
bought 2

ram timing default- 3 4 4 8
also,in ut04 and chronciles of riddick it was a bit slow today
why so?

brand name of ram is not written in cpuz

are they genuine?

AlienTech

In the zone
The default timing is given on the ram board in an EEPROM. Its 3-3-3-8@200MHZ, 2.5-3-3-7@166MHZ and 2-2-2-6@133MHZ. This is just cheap hyundai PC3200 or 400DDR ram modules. I would think all hyundai would use the same timings. I also have DDR266 which is much slower, I get 2700Meg bandwidth with them, while I get 4300 with the DDR400's. The cache gets 15000. 3-4-4-8 would mean you get around 4000...

Are you running the RAM @ 200MHZ FSB?

rohanbee

Padawan
try the everest home edition software to check wether it still displays your ram name. Otherwise i would suspect its genuinity. I was in singapore and you would not believe how many fake nokia and sony ericsson phones are easily available there and you cannot even make out the difference.

AlienTech

In the zone
3-2-1-4 means 3 clocks CAS # latency, 2 clocks RAS# to CAS# delay, 1 clock RAS# precharge and 4 clocks cycle time. DRAM is forgettable memory :) if you don't keep on reminding it that it needs to store such and such info, it forgets it... And it is rather slow and needs extra time to get it from way back in its brain and you need to wait until it goes and gets it. You also need to make sure that you don't confuse it too much by telling it to store something and then turning around and asking it for something else entirely without waiting. SRAM used in cache memory is much faster because it does not need all this waiting. But SRAM uses transistors instead of capacitors and so will be at least 4 times as expensive as well as using 4 times as much power and space... If you look at a CPU dye, the ones with large caches you can readily make them out since they will take up more space than the CPU stuff itself. Like when a CPU runs @ 2000MHZ, the cache would run most likely at 500MHZ or higher... While the DDR/SDRAM will be running at 200MHZ and it would be even slower because of all the delays you need to add and the waiting...

:idea: :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom