Which Processor to buy - Pentium D of Pentium Dual Core

Status
Not open for further replies.
my pc currently having FOXCONN 45CM-S motherboard with Intel 945GC chipset, Intel Celeron 420 1.60 GHz processor and 256 MB DDR2.

I want to change the processor and upgrade to pentium series. my budget is around Rs. 3000 to Rs. 4000. i have selected two processors to choose from

1. Pentium D 930 with 3.00 GHz
2. Pentium Dualcore E2200 with 2.20 GHz

(my mobo supports both the processors)

I have asked local vendors here in Guwahati, Assam about Core 2 Due 1.8 GHz costing around Rs. 5050/- and Pentium Dual Core 2.2 GHz around Rs. 3000/-. They say Pentium D 930 is not available / discontinued.

can anyone tell me which one will be better pentium dual core or pentium D and whts the difference among them. don't suggest to go for core 2 duo as i have a tight budget. please help with your suggestion.

pentium D is the old pentium processor. It is a processor with two pentium 4 cores running together. It has overheating issues, is negligibly overclockable, and sucks big time. Pentium Dual Core is a processor with two Core2 Duo cores, but the cores have been stripped of 1mb of l2 cache and technologies like intel virtualisation technologies have been removed. But it is based on the current generation Core2 architecture, hence has advanced power saving capabilities, is highly over clockable, and is a much nicer processor to work on. The Pentium name is quite misleading.

For obvious reasons, I suggest you the Pentium Dual Core Processor. Forget pentium D. It is a white and limp elephant in the market these days.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Pentium Dual Core is a processor with two Core2 Duo cores, but the cores have been stripped of 1mb of l2 cache and technologies like intel virtualisation technologies have been removed. But it is based on the current generation Core2 architecture, hence has advanced power saving capabilities, is highly over clockable, and is a much nicer processor to work on. The Pentium name is quite misleading.

are you sure its based on 'core duo' not 'core 2 duo'
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Dual_Core

But either way go for pentium dual_core but only if u can't afford core2

OP
P

passion_unlimitedd

Journeyman
can u please explain how can Pentium Dual core with 1 MB L2 2.20 GHz runs faster than Pentium D 2 x 2MB L2 3.00 GHz.

the only issue of P-D is not overclockable and overheats.

i am not going to OC and heating is not an issue for me.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Pentium dual core has two core 2 duo cores???? Its actually Core 2 quad.
And the pentium dual core E2xxx series are very gud and a 2.2Ghz Pentium ducl core E 2200 can easily outperform Pentium D 3.2Ghz. But PD is discontinued nd now the cheapest intel dual cores are E2xxx series.
Soon the dual core celerons will hit the market or its almost started to sell in some places. Its cheaper than E2xxx proccys.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
pentium D is based on ageold netburst architecture .. but pentium dual core is based on core micro architecture which is far superior. .

raising stock clock speeds to insane levels was intel's plan 3 years ago ( it reached saturation of around 3.2ghz and beyond this was impossible with air cooling ) . but with the inroduction of core micro architecture , performace per clock is much higher ...

moral of the story : dont compare clock speeds of proccy's of different architecture.

furthermore , u'll have to OC that pentium dual core e2xxx proccy to get the most out of it . i hear its a gr8 OCer and performace gains of 80% have been noticed. .

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
But i strongly recomend u to upgrade ur ram, at least to 1GB @ 900/-....Even a C2D wud go waste with ur current 256MB DDR2.:)

And secondly, i dun think u can oc much any proccy on that mobo.. But @ stock speeds itself, its a gud one. U can easily compare it with a 3.2Ghz PD.

OP
P

passion_unlimitedd

Journeyman
THANK YOU guys for all u r support and information.
i will go for Pentium Dual Core E2200 according to u r advise and will surely upgrade the RAM to 1 GB.

now i 'd like to know abt Over Clocking from someone who has practically done it. it w'd be helpful if anyone can provide me a detailed tutorial.

Thanks again for u r advices.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
me gone mad these days after beaten by a cheap clan..:([i even started planning to spend the prize money]:lol:
i wud have thought at that time that two core 2 duo core he meant that two x core two duo.
And C2Q has two core2duo proccys shared...
actually im not sure what gone thru ma mind:D

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I think it is based on Core microarchitecture. The Core microarchitecture is different than the physical core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom