Which Processor is fast Desktop PIV or Laptop Centrino

Status
Not open for further replies.

dearrm

Right off the assembly line
Dear Digit Forum members , i need an answer to very confusing Question . i am planning to buy a new IBM R51 2887 KQ1 Laptop which has a configuration centrino 1.6 mobile processor , 256ddr(333) , 40gb . will it be faster than my Assembled home pc which is PIV 2.0ghz 512 ddr 80gb. My main query is regarding the Processor is new Centrino technology is faster than the desktop processor or not . Ram will not be the Issue as it can be upgraded anytime . Pls provide me the Expert Comments 8)

Delpiero

Journeyman
Use ur common sense man that's all it needs. P4 2 ghz can beat the centrino 1.6 anyday. As you know the p4 has clock speed of 2ghz and centrino has 1.6. So who will win? Ofcourse the p4. :wink:

OP
D

dearrm

Right off the assembly line
dear this was the only confusion , when u vist any dealer according to them the centrino is more faster than the desktop pc . this comment made me confuse???????????

a_medico

Chillum Baba
dear delpiero, i find this Q logical...especially by those who are not in comps..

theorotically 2 ghz is faster than 1.6... but then centrino thing is the version AFTER p4 2.5 - 3 ghz notebooks. most of them do say it is faster than p4. tho i personally believe desktop will be anytime faster.

what say people?

indro

In the zone
Actually , the Ghz war is long over , Well , i think that some of the applications .. specially the office applications are going to be affected ,primarily due to the fast onchip cache i.e 2mb .

I dont know .. but does more Ghz really mean more speed ?

So what about AMD 3000+ @ 1800 Mhz ?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
The P4 is more powerful, but you should still go for Centrino in a laptop because the battery life is a lot better than P4 systems.

[flAsh]

In the zone
centrino mobile processors are even better than the Athlon 64's primarily due to executions of more instructions per second and huge L2 cahe ie of 2MB
but lack of good chipsets has plagued this processor 4 the desktop but asus recently introduced socket converter ie use it on a S-478 mobo and attach the processor to the converter interface.
The cost of processor is higher than the P4's and A64's
moreover intel does not ships it 4 home use so u will hav to buy the HSF separately

dearrm said:
Dear Digit Forum members , i need an answer to very confusing Question . i am planning to buy a new IBM R51 2887 KQ1 Laptop which has a configuration centrino 1.6 mobile processor , 256ddr(333) , 40gb . will it be faster than my Assembled home pc which is PIV 2.0ghz 512 ddr 80gb. My main query is regarding the Processor is new Centrino technology is faster than the desktop processor or not . Ram will not be the Issue as it can be upgraded anytime . Pls provide me the Expert Comments 8)

You'll find the Centrino quicker in most office apps. Reason, larger and better implementation of on die high speed cache.

However the P4 2.4 will beat the centrino 1.6 in apps that require raw processing power. Eg: video encoding, more clocks more better.

Anandtech (*www.anandtech.com)

When looking at the present, the 1.6GHz Pentium-M is comparable to a Pentium 4-M 2.2/2.4GHz, with the 1.5GHz Pentium-M falling somewhere in the 2.0 - 2.2GHz range. For business/office applications, the Pentium-M is unbeatable, clearly outperforming the Pentium 4 at 2.40GHz. When dealing with games and media encoding applications, the Pentium 4 will be faster, but by no means will it be able to offer the battery life of a Pentium-M based system.....

PS: Centrino = [Pentium M + Intel Pro WiFi controller onboard], just clarifying for those of you who may not know. Some Dell Latitudes use proprietery wifi chips to save costs. So they don't get to use the Centrino sticker, and go with the blue Pentium-M sticker.....phew, more confusion.

Delpiero
Use ur common sense man that's all it needs. P4 2 ghz can beat the centrino 1.6 anyday. As you know the p4 has clock speed of 2ghz and centrino has 1.6. So who will win? Ofcourse the p4.

Common sense dictates that you do your bit of research before replying.

cheers,
Keith

indro

In the zone
Hi again ,

I said they are fast and good performers , but its quite ironic to put it as faster chips than a64's ????!

Yes they are good performers , but ouch .... its not faster than p4's or a64's . 2 mb l2 cache does not mean that they will be fast , the more the cache side , the more the latency is , no matter how dense the memory is , thats why athlons does not keep 2mb's in their top of the line fx processors ,

Now ,

Forget A64's ... talk about Intel's , how much performance difference do you see with the 1mb cache EE's and 2 mb EE's ? Did you see that the 1mb EE 's are faster in the more cache intensive applications ?

Its preety simple , GHZ and MHZ myth has long gone , Its preety clear than nowadays the Processors are designed specifically for the perticular needs or the kind of enviroment they should be working in .The Centrino are supposed to work with Business applications , where it DOES perform , but below A64's .

Again , take the example of an Intel Itanium processor , 5 MB of Cache , Does that mean , that its going to perform as good as Desktop PC's in gaming ? Sun Sparc processors have 16 MB's of cache ( not on DIE )
They are supposed to work in a clustered enviroment , where a common application is supposed to work over hundereds of processors in a Clustered Node enviroment .

Its the balance of the features which u need in a processor , thats the reason why Centrino rules the mobile market and the A64s rule in the Desktops.

Journeyman
I have personally experienced a Centrino on a DELL laptop. And a 2.4Ghz desktop P4.. definitely P4 is faster.
And Centrino has alot of heat problems.. And step-up or step-down or whatever technology on centrino's are a big problem.
I would rate a centrino below AMD Athlon 2400+

rohanbee

Padawan
Well if the centrino has heat problems i wonder what will happen to the P4 in laptops. Dell has a range with the P4 out already!!

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I have yet to come accross a Centrino laptop that has heat issues :p
I have an Inspiron 9100 which uses a desktop P4 3.2Ghz (Prescott) and although it does heat up, I don't see major problems with it. Centrinos are much cooler than P4s. They do a good job even with things such as gaming if you pair them with a good graphics card. Look at the Dell XPS Gen 2. It has a 2.13GHz Centrino and Computer Gaming World said that it was the fastest laptop they had tested yet (It comes with a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra). Refer to Keith's post on approximate speed comparisons. The 1.6GHz Centrino should give you the same kind of performance as your 2GHz desktop provided you pair it with comparable hardware. And the Centrino is advantageous because of better battery life and built-in Wi-Fi.

rohanbee

Padawan
Nemesis said:
I have yet to come accross a Centrino laptop that has heat issues :p
I have an Inspiron 9100 which uses a desktop P4 3.2Ghz (Prescott) and although it does heat up, I don't see major problems with it. Centrinos are much cooler than P4s. They do a good job even with things such as gaming if you pair them with a good graphics card. Look at the Dell XPS Gen 2. It has a 2.13GHz Centrino and Computer Gaming World said that it was the fastest laptop they had tested yet (It comes with a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra). Refer to Keith's post on approximate speed comparisons. The 1.6GHz Centrino should give you the same kind of performance as your 2GHz desktop provided you pair it with comparable hardware. And the Centrino is advantageous because of better battery life and built-in Wi-Fi.

I dont think you get the inspiron 9100. The top of the line 9300 series also does not feature a P4 above 2.0ghz. I wonder why?

indro

In the zone
I dont think that centrino's has any kind of heating problems , But my meaning centrino , you mean Pentium M on a 855 chipset motherboard right ?

rohanbee

Padawan
I think basically it can be on a 915p/or other chipset as well. All of these are Pentium Mobile chips but the Centrino one have wireless networking built in.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Yes, the 9100 is no longer available. They even stopped XPS Gen1 which had P4s. I guess they think that Centrino is the way to go as it provides longer battery life, doesn't heat up as much and Centrino based laptops are generally lighter than P4 based ones. Also, Intel hasn't released any new mobile P4s recently so maybe they are also planning to use the Centrino and the Celeron only for the mobile market.

I think Dell is using the 915PM chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom