Which portable music player? (1GB under 5K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I am planning to buy a portable music player. I don't want it to have a huge capacity. 1GB is good enough.

Can someone give any suggestions which one to buy? I am thinking about iPod nano (2nd gen) 1GB.

Which one out there gives the best output? And has good S/W, stability, build quality (and style as well....;-))

(I have searched the forum, and found nothing. Still if there are any links, then please post them.)

Thanks
Aditya

gmanog

Journeyman
Which one out there gives the best output? And has good S/W, stability, build quality (and style as well....)

Apple ipod nano 1gb is the only answer. (but it will cost you upwards of 5000 rs)

If you can compromise on style and build quality, you can buy Transcend T sonic 610 - 1 GB - Rs. 2100, you can buy a good headphone or earphone for the remaining amount.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
gmanog said:
Which one out there gives the best output? And has good S/W, stability, build quality (and style as well....)

Apple ipod nano 1gb is the only answer. (but it will cost you upwards of 5000 rs)[\quote]

Open your eyes & look in the market, insted of relying on the existing solutions. There are better mp3 players then iPod out there.

1 GB nano will not come under 5k. You can get an iPod shuffle, but it has no screen. Now if you can live with that, then it's fine else look at some of the other options available out there.

Sandisk Sansa Express

*asia.cnet.com/i/r/2007/mp/61979934/b001.jpg

1 GB storage
MicroSD Card expension
Works as a USB pen drive too, just copy paste music file & no software required. If you still want a software, chose from one of the many available such as WMP11, Winamp, Yahoo Music engine etc

Sandisk Sansa E250

This will go a bit above your budget of 5k though, but provides 2 GB space

*www.ces-show.com/2006/review/sandisk/sandisk_sansa_e260_mp3_player.jpg

Transcend T-Sonic

*www.estalia.nl/images/610b_P2_640_480.jpg

Or better yet, get a big memory card if you have a music phone already.

Last edited:

gmanog

Journeyman
^^ what you have stated is also existing solution buddy. Its not that I don't know about all these players, in fact I own ipod nano, ipod video 80 gb, transcend t sonic 610, the sound quality is better in ipod, also the build quality. Thats the reason I suggested ipod nano. I didn't tell that ipod nano is available for below 5k. read the post again.

moshel

Padawan
ipod shuffle 1 gb next gen is good, but if u want real good quality, then buy good quality headphones separately...the stock ones suck......

one important thing abt shuffle, if u want a player with a screen then dont go for this one....u wont be able to select ur song easily....and if u have a tendency to lose small things then again dont go for this...

as for the good thing, it is no doubt the clip.....its is sooo easy and it fits almost anywhere.....whtr its ur bag strap, t-shirt collar, within ur shirt pocket. u dont need to buy a different cover or use one pocket when you are on the go.....

as for the screen who has time to select wat song to hear when ur on ur way to the college or work. so things eventually even out, atleast for me..

will cost a little above 5.5k if u go to buy from apple, maybe under 5k if u go to the grey market.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
moshel said:
as for the screen who has time to select wat song to hear when ur on ur way to the college or work. so things eventually even out, atleast for me..
There is no way to make a playlist on the go in iPods, again without a screen it is useless. Unless you have only "All time hits" songs in your DAP you need a screen for anything beyond 256 MB of Storage space.

Shasanka_Gogoi

In the zone
Don't waste 5000 bucks on 1 GB. Infact get a Transcend T-Sonic 610 1 GB for around 2300 or u can even get a 2 GB model under 5000. If u go for the 1GB model, u save some cash, which u could use for after market accessories like headphones!

gg_3000

Broken In
gx_saurav said:
There is no way to make a playlist on the go in iPods
I wish to Correct this.. All iPods (except the Ipod Shuffle) allow u make make playlists on the go.. In fact they r called "On-the-go Playlists".. To add songs to on-the-go list, u can scroll to the song and hold the select/center button for 2 seconds..

gmanog

Journeyman
@ gg 3000, you are correct, on the go playlists can me made in the ipod.
@ gx saurav, how do you say that its useless without a screen?? what about our good old walkmans, diskmans, CD players etc ?? all had display?? didn't we enjoy music without a display? when we play FM radio do we get display? are we not enjoying music?

display is usefull, but its not that we can not enjoy the good music without a display in your player.
BTW: what is the music player you are using at present?

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
I am not using any player right now, been using my laptop. This is the first player that I am going to buy. And even if I have a player with more than 1GB, I don't think I will ever use it, as it gets difficult with more media stored in.

I do not have a music phone.

Can someone please tell me what is the prise of 1GB ipod nano and the sandisk sansa E250? Not exact figures, but something +- 200/-?

And I don't think I will be buying one soon after this one, so build quality is a must, and so is sound quality. Is Ipod better or the sandisk one?

Aditya

gmanog

Journeyman
1gb ipod nano must be around 6500 rs now. the buid quality is very good. sound quality is also very good. But it will not be having recoring facility and FM radio.
As an ipod user, I recommend it.

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
2gb = 6.5k
4gb = 8.6k
8gb = 10.3k
and
30gb iPod Video = 11k
80gb iPod Video = 15k
30gb Zune 14,400Rs

I do not take any credit for the prices of 2gb,4gb,8gb ipod prices ,all other prices are what i got when i personally visited the shop.
The Prices mentioned are from mumbai and could wary.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The main benifit of a DAP right now these days is that you can listen to any song or skip any song. Like I said, with a non screen DAP you must make sure all the songs are all time hits, else how will you jump to a particular song.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
techno_funky said:
2gb = 6.5k
4gb = 8.6k
8gb = 10.3k
and
30gb iPod Video = 11k
80gb iPod Video = 15k
30gb Zune 14,400Rs

I do not take any credit for the prices of 2gb,4gb,8gb ipod prices ,all other prices are what i got when i personally visited the shop.
The Prices mentioned are from mumbai and could wary.

Can i get ipod 80GB in mumbai for just 15 grand?
Heck i can travel all the way from delhi to buy ipod 80GB @ 15000

Last edited:

moshel

Padawan
gmanog said:
1gb ipod nano must be around 6500 rs now. the buid quality is very good. sound quality is also very good. But it will not be having recoring facility and FM radio.
As an ipod user, I recommend it.

i dont think 1gb ipod nano is available anymore.....it is no longer available....if u find one then it m8 be of old stock...

@gxsaurav......screen or without screen depends on how you are going to use it....i take it to work with me it takes me 15 mins to reach work and im on a motorcycle so i dont need screen(cos then i wud be late for work)......as for someone in mumbai, u have to travel for abt 1-2 hours one way to get to work or college and mostly its in local, so it would be better if u have a screen(atleast u will get something to pass your time.....lol)........

so @aditya.shevade first think abt how much and when ur going to use it and wat size(physical not memory capacity) wud be comfortable for you...becos as u will understand after sometime it will become as necessary for you as your mobile phone....

gmanog

Journeyman
^^ yes. you are correct. There is no 1 GB ipod nano in 2nd genartion ipod nano's its only available in first generation.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@moshel

I am planning to use it most of the times when I listen to songs. Here in Sangli, we have power cuts for around 8 hours a day, so I think a screen would be good as I spend about 3-4 hours a day in listening music... (you know that submission is a nasty work for engineering students, and it's good if you have some music ;-))

As far as the size is concerned, I would say, about the size of a mobile phone (standard ones not extra small, slim or communicators).

Aditya

gmanog

Journeyman
if you are very particular about the price, you can go for transcend tsonic 610 - 1 gb, rs 2100, but you need to buy a good earphone/headphone, so that will come to you within 5000 rs. sound quality is good. OLED display is there. FM radio, recording available.
Now I notice a problem here, tsonic won't be playing for 8 hrs continuessly without charging, batterry playing time is less than 8 hrs. you need to charge it using your PC, even if you buy a charger you need power, if 8 hrs power cut means???

ipod nano can play upto 14hrs I think.

Last edited:

moshel

Padawan
gmanog said:
if you are very particular about the price, you can go for transcend tsonic 610 - 1 gb, rs 2100, but you need to buy a good earphone/headphone, so that will come to you within 5000 rs. sound quality is good. OLED display is there. FM radio, recording available.
Now I notice a problem here, tsonic won't be playing for 8 hrs continuessly without charging, batterry playing time is less than 8 hrs. you need to charge it using your PC, even if you buy a charger you need power, if 8 hrs power cut means???

ipod nano can play upto 14yrs I think.

14yrs............heck.......that wud be the bestestesteststststtttttt ever Ipod battery!!!!!!! it wud be as good as unlimited power!!!!!!!

well getting to the point....u shud buy a player with a screen.....and first forget ipod cos u wont get a good one in that range......go for some other brand cheaper one and then buy good quality earphones or even those over the ear headphones................

for portable players, sound quality greatly depends on the type of earphones you use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom