Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoegoe

Broken In

Ok...~~ i've seen many threads posting about their hardware and related stuffs

But....for a change...lets talk about softwares~

What is the "BASIC" operating system which u'll use the most?
( I MEAN "" BASIC"" not two or three )

Since there is a thread available for discussion of Longhorn (BETA)....i've included longhorn to....

G

gxsaurav

I also use Windows XP SP2 Pro, thats the only one

I recently tried Knoppix 3.2 given in Digit DVD, but due to a lot of compatibility probs & no documentation about how to do anything made me leave it

I was like a sitting Duck on it, I had to type the name

file:/mnt/hdd1/ <path> to access a image file to set it as wallpaper, where is the ease of linux here

No Internet, it didn't even detected my onboard Intel LAN

Hey, is there any way to install Knoppix on HD with XP

saROMan

QA Juggler
though have only 500 MHz Processor power but prefer XP-SP2 ......
a Pain in the A** OS.....but can do with it.....

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
come on guys it is not which os you use but what do you on top of it that matters. All OS are like helpers that provide you a platform to DO YOUR THING. So the better question will be what do you do after the OS loads.

ice

In the zone
Xp Sp2 ,

Btw gx, the latest knoppix is 3.4 and my 3.2 does recognise my onboard lan. I just had to configure it.

sav_more

Journeyman
xp with sp2 all the way.
believe me i have had it for a long time & it hasent crashed or given me a blus screen yet(unlike win 98).
havent tried linux.

XP rocks!!

OP
shoegoe

shoegoe

Broken In
gxsaurav said:
I also use Windows XP SP2 Pro, thats the only one

I recently tried Knoppix 3.2 given in Digit DVD, but due to a lot of compatibility probs & no documentation about how to do anything made me leave it

I was like a sitting Duck on it, I had to type the name

file:/mnt/hdd1/ <path> to access a image file to set it as wallpaper, where is the ease of linux here

*www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo

G

gxsaurav

I found how to install, Knoppix, but didn't understood how to configure grub as lilo is bad

So no Knoppix installation for, better wait for digit to give Mandrake 10.1

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
gxsaurav said:
I found how to install, Knoppix, but didn't understood how to configure grub as lilo is bad

So no Knoppix installation for, better wait for digit to give Mandrake 10.1
hey gx....u have installed knoppix 3.2...it has got lousy harware compatibility problems(i know it coz i tried it)...but knoppix 3.6 is the opposite (i got it with oct issue of LFY)....gr8 hardware support and runs very smooth.
btw...tried installing SuSE 9.1 personal that was on digit? try installin it....believe me...u wont regret it....and if u want linux installed on ur hdd, its a better option than knoppix according to me. :D

curvenger

Broken In
I use Xp pro the most, and second RedHat 9(shrike) and recently i tried Longhorn Build 4051 but not smooth enough to run in 256 RAM.. and maybe by next year ill use only Redhat Linux.. :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
gxsaurav said:
I recently tried Knoppix 3.2 given in Digit DVD,
Good saurav, at least you tried GNU/Linux for once... :) but Knoppix 3.2 was released 2 years back... atleast do some justice and try using Knoppix 3.6 ... Knoppix 3.7 is also on its way...

Or otherwise, give me your postal address... TIFR also has its own GNU/Linux distribution based upon Debian.... We'll be happy to send you a demonstration copy of it to you... currently it is being updated with GNOME 2.8 since we have removed KDE from it...

ps: I am also part of this project... Our Live CD is going to be used for the Kerala government's IT@School program...

gxsaurav said:
but due to a lot of compatibility probs & no documentation about how to do anything made me leave it
Which documentation are you talking about ? All the programs and utilities come with extensive documentations.... You just didn't try to read them...

gxsaurav said:
Now in that case i'll start complaining that i dont understand the Windows drive naming scheme... what is C: what is D: ... its just how the drives are refered in UNIX machines...

gxsaurav said:
Didn't you configure your ethernet card first ?

gxsaurav said:
Find the appropriate option in K menu for this or type this in a terminal
$ su -
# knx2hd

but first get a newer copy of Knoppix :)

Anyways, it's really nice of you to try out GNU/Linux atleast... do let us know if you face any problems with it...

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
I'm on XP Pro SP2 with my presario laptop, and XP is the OS I used most ... all my campus servers/lab PCs are Linux based.... so in college I use linux most of time...

We tried Longhorn Build: 4074 WinHCE here in our lab... in 5 systems with 1 GB memory... results were fine.... it was running smooth, but buggy...

I've also posted here a LH:4074 Optimization Guide... search!
I couldn't find the thread where I posted it...

@GNURag....

cool........ TIFR's own Debian distro.......
Knoppix 3.6 / 3.7 (??)... uno any good FTP to download it... what r changes since 3.2... ??
Does it support internal soft K modem.... ??

yeah 3.2 last year with Digit Linux DVD also rejected my LAN card on my hostel desktop.........

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
ShekharPalash said:
cool........ TIFR's own Debian distro.......
wanna have it ?

ShekharPalash said:
Knoppix 3.6 / 3.7 (??)... uno any good FTP to download it... what r changes since 3.2... ??
There are no indian mirrors but you can download from anyone of these mirrors:
*www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

[OFF TOPIC]

Do you have a fullscreen wallpaper of your current avatar and signature ? It looks really nice ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom