Which one needs 80 conductor Data cable - DVD or HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aanand

Journeyman
During bootup a message says "No 80 conductor secondary IDE data cable installed".
I have 2 HDDs and 2 DVDs in my system. 2 HDDs ( with a 8 GB and a 160 GB capacity) connected to the primary IDE through 80 conductor data cable. The DVDs through a 40 conductor datacable.
Can I ignore the message or Is it ok to switch the HDD cable to DVD? Which drive requires 80 conductor data cable - HDD or DVD?

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
Yes u can ignore the message because u have conected the drives correctly. And I will suggest u to update ur BIOS to overcome the problem

Hells_Fury

In the zone
Do not ignore this problem as it can cause severe damage to your HDD. Use an 80 conductor cable to connect your HDDs. The DVD drives dont need 80 conductor cables.

OP
A

Aanand

Journeyman
My 2 HDDs( 8GB + 160 GB) are connected through 80 conductor IDE cable to IDE 1.
The message is for the IDE 2 to which the 2 DVD drives are connected.
The motherboard came with one 80 conductor IDE cable and one 40 conductor cable.
My system is 1 year old.
I installed the new DVD drives and the 160 GB HDD only recently. Earlier I had CD-ROM and CD-RW connected to the IDE 2 through 40 conductor IDE data cable.
The DVD drives, DVD-rom and DVD-RW seem to be working normally .

Hells_Fury

In the zone
There shouldnt be a problem if you connect your DVD drives using a 40 conductor cable...
Do one thing, just borrow an 80 conductor cable and connect your DVD drives and see if the message is still displayed. It may be that the DVD-RW requires an 80 conductor cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom