Not open for further replies.

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
OK I HAVE GOT HOLD OF A2 DEALER WHO HAS A 64 AMD
PROCESSOR

A 3800 WHICH HAS 2.4 GHZ 512 L2 CACHE 128 BIT MEMORY
WITH 939 PIN

A 3700 WHICH HAS 2.2 GHZ IMB L2 CAHCE 64 BIT MEMORY WITH 939 PIN

NOW I AM CONFUSED BECAUSE 1 DEALER SAYS 3700 IS BETTR BECAUSE OF SAN DIEGO CORE AND 3800 IS NOT GOOD BECAUSE OF THE WINCHISTER CORE NOW TELL ME WHICH ONE IS BEETTER I AM CONFUSED PRICE DIFFRENCE IS NOT THAT MUCH SO TELL ME WHCIH ONE TO GO FOR THE MAIN PURPOSE IS FOR 3D MODDELING AND GAMES I WANT A PERFORMER PRICE IS NOT ISSUE

quad master

In the zone
SanDeigo is the latest core from AMD.
- SanDeigo will perform gr8 with Games.
- Also it has SSE3 Instruction set which helps
you in Video Encoding and Winchester doesnt have
SSE3 Instructions.
- Also SanDeigo Core has 1MB L2 Cache where as
Winchester have 512KB L2 Cache.

Also SanDeigo was released later after winchester.
and is with a updated DDR Controller.

Earlier when all the 4 ram slots were occupied the
ram used to run at 2T with Winchester now this issue is fixed with SanDeigo and Venice both.

SanDeigo is still better than Venice.

close ur eyes and go for SanDeigo

AlienTech

In the zone
Power requirements are almost half that of winchester so you are saving a tree.. err some gas. And that should be reason enough. Especially if Iran gas is now out of the question. You will definitely notice this difference when you would have to peddle your bike to run the computer in years coming by.

OP
A

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
ok the cost of 3700 is coming to 21500

the 3700 is 939 pin with 1mb l2 cache and has got san diego core

were as 3800 i am getting is 939 pin 512 mb l2 cahce and has vince core

also the cost is 23500 so now give me final ans after looking at these

magnet

Youngling
san diego is all same with venice....the advtg is larger l2 cache.....since u can go 4 21k thing..i guess paying 2k mor wont hurt..also that wont b a prob 4 u i guess..

for wht venice could do...check this link.....and ofcourse san diego will outperform it

*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-venice.html

OP
A

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
the 3800 i am getting is a venice core therfore this confusionas it not that winchister core
so the thing is true that winchister make 4slots rram act like 2 slot oh thats bad as i think of going for 4gb ram for my redering to go fast

quad master

In the zone
Also you can easily overclock that SD from 2.2 Ghz
to 2.4 Ghz.

SanDeigo is better than Venice ne time because it
has that extra 512Kb L2 Cache.

With the help of a good motherboard like
ASUS A8N-E or A8N-Sli you can easily overclock
that SD to 2.4 or may be higher like 2.5Ghz also.

But overclocking is not guaranteed.
Also any sort of damage caused by overclocking is ur responsibility.

AlienTech

In the zone
ASH18MARCH said:
ok the cost of 3700 is coming to 21500

the 3700 is 939 pin with 1mb l2 cache and has got san diego core

were as 3800 i am getting is 939 pin 512 mb l2 cahce and has vince core

also the cost is 23500 so now give me final ans after looking at these

A 3700 WHICH HAS 2.2 GHZ IMB L2 CAHCE 64 BIT MEMORY WITH 939 PIN

Thats not true then. The Venice is 128 bit memory in dual channel mode and the L2 is 128bit as well. It is always better to get a CPU with a large cache, RAM with the highest speed and over clock the RAM and under clock the CPU to get the fastest bandwidth. But in your case maybe slightly over clock the CPU as well.
The L1 cache is running at 3 wait states, the L2 is over 9. Your ram is more like over 15 as well as being 1/10th the speed. For repetitive CPU intensive operations you will see a HUGE difference in speed with the bigger cache. Both CPU's are designed to work around 2.8GHZ anyway. Once they get their manufacturing process working properly. If you are lucky you should be able to over clock that thing to 2.6GHZ at least.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
under clock the CPU to get the fastest bandwidth.-------> Thats news to me.Atleast when you are talking about A64 overclocking....lol

OP
A

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
so alein tech what do u suugest what shoulid i go for the venice or san diego the price diff is small so i want to go with venice but some of the overclocking things are too technical as i ahve not done overclockingthe thing is venice core is more easily avilable then the san digeo also the other dealer is asking for advance which i am not so sure also the article of x bit suugest venice core is good price is no bar tel me finaly which one to go for which one would u go if price if price diffrance was not an issue

OP
A

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
i am not much of over clocker but may be have a look at this

*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-venice_13.html

premrajeev

Journeyman
Go for San Diego man...additional 512 mb cache can do wonders with your cpu intensive programs..Dont mind if it runs 500mhz lower than the 512kb cache processor, the performance of the latter will outperform the 512 kb version..

OP
A

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
has the problem when u put 4 slots of ram and it works only on 2 has it been solved in the san diego core also just to make sure that the dealer told me the right thing does the 3700(939) havea san diego core and i have heard its rare to find

AlienTech

In the zone
ASH18MARCH said:
has the problem when u put 4 slots of ram and it works only on 2 has it been solved in the san diego core also just to make sure that the dealer told me the right thing does the 3700(939) havea san diego core and i have heard its rare to find

The problem was when you had 4 double sided dimms, it only ran at 2T's instead of 1T. So you lost a little bandwidth. But now they say you can run 4 single sided dimm's with 1T.

Unless you are planning to have 4 Gig's of memory, what does it matter?
Get 1 Gig chips and get 2 gig of memory which should be enough for most anything.

This bandwidth thing is a lot more complicated that it looks. It sounds simple but If you are running at 3.3.3.8 instead of 2.2.2.5 by using cheaper slower memory, you loose out a lot. Running the FSB @ 200MHZ instead of 300MHZ is a huge performance difference right there. Which incidently works a lot better using cheaper slower memory modules. IE the older slower modules run at a much higher frequency basically giving you much more bandwidth than a low latency high performance ram module.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well as far as A64 is concerned, isnt the CPU clock speed that matters the most ?
Irrespective of what the HTT speed is, at what frequency RAM is running and etc etc..

Bottomline being,the A64 shines at higher CPU clock speeds,sint it, correct me if i am wrong.

OP
A

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
alein tech and i will be getting most probably getiing akingston ir tran scend ram i was thinking for crosair value ram but i heard it has problem with asus a8n sli del mobod

now if u could pls explain whats the double sided dimm what is 2t , it all that its a litlle bit confusing also the diff timing avilable for ram the 3.3.3.8
and 2.2.2.5 and if u want to but the best ie 2.2.25 which ram to buy it would be helpfull i am so confused this stuff of ram ad proceesor is to tecnical confusing me before i was thinking of going for 4 stick of 1gb ram now i am confused pls help

also dark loard what did u mean by clock speed latency , please elobrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom