Which Mini-DV Camcoder is the best???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi guys!

I want to buy a Mini-DV Camcoder and my budget is around Rs.25000/- (grey market), although I can jump another 2000-3000 if something great is available in that range. I do prefer to go for Sony as it has a good service station network in India, but thats not a hard and fast choice. My first preference is the output quality followed by features, looks etc.

Can you guys please guide me as to which is the best camera available in this range. Please guide me as according to your personal experience.

CHAO...

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
hey dude u have mentioned that u prefer sony bcoz of its service centre.
u also said dat u r gonna buy it from the grey market.so where does the question of providing after sales service to grey market stuff come from?

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Even if i buy it from the grey market, I will atleast have a place where I can get it repaired and that is where good network of service station comes into play...

puja399

In the zone
go4saket said:
Even if i buy it from the grey market, I will atleast have a place where I can get it repaired and that is where good network of service station comes into play...
..yeah...and get decapitated by $ony $sevice $tations :p $ony uses proprietory spares and their prices are sky high as compared to Panasonic. More often than not I have heard poeple saying that buying a new Sony handycam from gray market is easier and wiser than getting a faulty Sony handycam repaired form Sony servicing centres. :)

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Thanks Puja! I will keep that in mind when I finally decide which model to go for...but for that I need recommendations...Got none till now...

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
I got Sony PC 105 Mini DV 3 years before( The model is discontinued) and it served me just right. Still working.Got it from Ebay.in then baazee.com for 40 something. Was costiler then!
Now recently my sister got Sony DCR- HC46E for around 25 K , grey market ofcourse and its great working .
The reason Sony is better than Panasonic is it handles jerks better than any camcorder. The recording motion is almost smooth.Transfer over firewire is easiest!Then nothing matches sony in night videos clarity.Even most of my friends got Sony Camcorder. Tell me the budget and i can specify which model is best for you?
Really go for Sony.Its best in camcorders!

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Already mentioned my budget... Anyways, its 25000, but I can go another 2000-3000 up if something great is available...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
go4saket said:
Already mentioned my budget... Anyways, its 25000, but I can go another 2000-3000 up if something great is available...

Best to go for Sony for quality and durability. Next comes Panasonic. For the same amount you can get a Pansonic three CCD model which should give very good quality. But ensure that it has Leica lens and not a Panasonic one. Sony cameras generally come with Carl Zeiss lenses, one of the best.

I think 3 CCD Sony handycams will be far above your budget. (But for home use 3 CCD quality will not be necessary)

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
go4saket said:
Can you name a few model numbers, both of Sony as well as of Panasonic...

You may better search the websites of Sony and Panasonic for models and specifications. Also you can visit www.jjmehta.com for deails of models commonly available in India as well as see the approximate prices in Indian Rupees.

I think you may better buy from an authorised dealer because nowadays they are giving warranty for 2 or 3 years. I myself bought Sony HC-15E two years back from grey market when authorised dealers were rare, their prices were high and the warranty was for one year only. But it is still working fine.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
In the grey market, nowadays you will get a Mini DVD Sony for less than 24K and Mini DV sony for less than 20K and a 3 CCD Panasonic for > 25K and their Mini DV for > 16K, all latest models. But as I said above, better to buy with bill and warranty paying a little more. Still spend some time studying the specifications and searching prices (both grey and with bill) before the final purchase.
But dont think of buying anything lower than Mini DV in technology.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

@janitha : Can you please tell me the model no. of the Panasonic Camera with 3 CCD in the range of 25K.

anispace

dattebayo
My dad got a Sony DCR HC-40 from US for $499 a year ago. Works great,has great features although its a NTSC version(cant record TV shows on it in India).

Anyways u can check out their latest models on the web.
Also if u do decide to buy one make sure to get a Firewire cable seperately for transferring video from the miniDV to ur PC since i dont think Sony provides it as standard accessory.

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
go4saket said:
@janitha : Can you please tell me the model no. of the Panasonic Camera with 3 CCD in the range of 25K.

Thefollowing is a cut and paste fro jjmehta site.
*www.jjmehta.com/pricelist/panasonic_pricing.htm
Panasonic Video Camera
models of 2006

New Low Price
Panasonic NV GS27 MiniDV Video Camera 15500 NA
Panasonic NV GS47 MiniDV Video Camera 17500
New Low Price 18250
Panasonic NV GS57 MiniDV Video Camera 19500

Panasonic 3CCD Video Cameras
models of 2006

New Low Price
Panasonic NV GS180 MiniDV Video Camera 24995
Panasonic NV GS300 MiniDV Video Camera 35995
Panasonic NV GS500 MiniDV Video Camera 43995

** Warranty : Above items will carry a Six Months warranty from our side . Any major problem with the camera will be replaced by us. Minor problem, then we will get it repaired at no charge to you , by us . Price is without taxes. Conditions Applied.

But you are likely to get them even cheaper at the local grey stores. Further see that the warranty mentioned above is not company warranty of Panasonic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom