Which laptop at around 35K

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukaida

In the zone
Hi
I am planning to buy a laptop at around 35k. I know that I cannot expect much in this budget so a celeron with 256MB Ram or equivalent will do.The option at present I am having are--

1. Xuva U17w by Xenitis (The only one with pentium M1.5GHz and 512 MB Ram).

2. IBM Lenovo R51 MQ8 (Celeron with 512MB Ram)/ Lenovo C-100 0761D7A.

3. Acer Aspire 3003 Series.

4. LG Gec 50-2.

5. Sahara (Cannot remember the model number).

Please suggest the best one among them or any new one which is not mentioned.
Budget is tight and a 15" screen is desireable.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Well I have seen a Gigabyte laptop powered by celeron M with an awesome screen. Even the battery life was around 4 and a half hours which would suit your work as a professor. Stay away from Sahara and Xenitis, as they use some non Intel chipset for celeron M's in their entry level notebooks and goes unnoticed as many make their choice for notebooks based on processors. The Gigabyte model is seen here *www.gigabyte.in/products/notebook/N521uc.htm Price is around 34k If availability is an issue of it in your area, go ahead with the IBM or LG.

OP
bukaida

bukaida

In the zone
Hey Young Techies, Help the old professor in taking decision

Hi
I know u young techies know much better than me in latest hardware section.
So please help me to choose the right laptop. I have to buy it within 1st may.

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
hey dont go for a intel solution...........ul easliy get a Turion or Athlon64M soution for that much..........just goto the Acer or Compaq site n try n find Lappy's in ur budget...

.....i had seen a compaq turion based solution with ATi X300 based graphics for 39K

It was bang for the buck

shovik

Banned
Sir, Latest from my contacts is that there good models from Compaq presario range which has a starting lineup from Rs. 21,550 with the VT4000Z and with a budget of 35K you can easily get AMD turion 64 2GHz along with 512MB DDR2 with 15.2" XGA TFT display. The Xenitis model which you asked for has a clock frequency of 1.73GHz.

Regards,
Shovik Deb
3rd year CSE, B.Tech
Academy of Technology, West Bengal.

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
hey.......its really funny/weird to see student prof talkin on forums..........:0

n mentioning who they r in thier sigs.....its kinda changing the atmosphere here........try not doin that.........

Sourabh

Laptoping
AMD solutions for the laptop is strictly a no go now. The price difference between them and the intel counter parts have become narrower than ever, so getting an Intel based Celerons and Centrinos makes more sense. While AMD doesnt lay any restrictions on the chipset to be used, it usually ends up with high power usage and a pathetic battery life in the laptop though they may be performing a lil better than the intel counterparts.

Since these entry level notebooks come invariably with a 2200mAH battery, turion's wont give a battery life more than 1.5 hrs max. With intel chipset and a celeron based notebook you can easily get a more than 2 hrs battery life and even more.

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
i diagreee..............a celeron laptop suxxxxxxx

turions consume less power n r cooler............

the Acer Ferrari got best lappy award by digit too!!!

OP
bukaida

bukaida

In the zone
Thanx guys for your kind suggestions. It realy helped me. I am considering
of buying lenovo c-100 as it supports ddr2 and has a 15" screen also. Any
idea how it performs?

And one more thing I did not understand that why someone is objecting at my signature. My signature contains exactly what I am. Any suggestion from my student is also welcome.I realy didnot understand the objection Mr.Rohan.
Care to explain?

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
Maverick I agree the power consumption of the turions are on the same level as the intel counterparts, but its the chipset used where AMD powered laptop fails badly. You can check any amd based laptod be it on sempron Mobile or the Turions ML-xx, the battery life takes a beating. Even with a 8 celled 4400mAH battery a sempron M and turion laptops dont last more than 3 on battery. Intel counterparts are a lot better in that respect.

I own a sempron M based laptop and have worked on a turion notebook too, and so I have nothing against AMD but Intel wins hands down on the mobile arena.

Ferrari 4000 won the best laptop in the Lifestyle shootout, It would never win a main stream laptop award.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
bukaida said:
And one more thing I did not understand that why someone is objecting at my signature. My signature contains exactly what I am. Any suggestion from my student is also welcome.I realy didnot understand the objection Mr.Rohan.
Care to explain?

i guess we r not so free when talking to known person... atleast for me... after knowing i am talking to some one who is way older than me.... a shakyness comes... and cant talk freely, while talking to an anonymous person, i feel free to talk, or rather write...

anyway we cant stop any one to disclose their identity... but u know it is suggested not to disclose ur ID over net... lol... :))

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
hey ...its not like i have any objection.........but u gotta understand what a forum and the internet community it nurtures is...............its on a different wavelength.............

Out here......there r ppl from different walks of life of different ages, students, IT pros, non IT ppl...............but all talk to each other as if they belong to one community.............

Secondly u do not need to be so formal..........its a pretty casual atmosphere out here...............

Thirdly.....this aint a IM .......... replies like "thanks, il meet u after class".........the thanks part was ok.........but meet u after class........to give u an anology..........it gives the others a feeling of a bubble within a bubble..........

PS: I have nuthin against how u talk or what siggie u make.........its just that it stands out in a peculiar way.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom