WHICH IS UR MOST FAVOURITE DISTRO & WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolblue

Broken In
OK i think this would be an interesting thread

WHICH IS UR MOST FAVOURITE DISTRO & WHY?

Plz dont start Distro Wars Episode One here :p .....just mention ur favourite distro & WHY u like it above all others..keep it short, simple & peaceful :wink:

If I had to choose just one distro from the entire crowd, I'd go for Suse (Suse 10.1).

Reasons are obvious:
1. Comes on 5 CDs plus an add-on CD with non-oss stuff (which is really good for we indians as most of us have slow/no internet) See full list here *www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/index_all.html
2. Has Wine, Opera, Kdeedu, Supertux and many nice collection of apps
3. YAST!!! (So simple & superb!)
4. KDE-centric (I like KDE)
5. Detects all my hardware (FC5 & Ubuntu won't detect my serial mouse while Suse did)

If I had to choose a livecd...well...I'd say Kanotix (excellent hardware detection), Elive 0.4.2 (it comes with Wine, w32codecs & libdvdcss2 pre-installed!) & PCLinuxOS (we all know why its so nice!! Best newbie distro! Has java, flash, w32codecs, mplayer, VLC...)

Would love to know what others like...plz mention the reasons as well.

If Ubuntu offered extra CDs for download, I would have gone with that.
Its otherwise pretty good coz its debian-based and has huge repos of stuff.

Cheers

eddie

El mooooo
You started same thread earlier as well. It was merged by admin in an already existing thread. You should continue the discussion there.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36717&start=160

Kniwor

Learner
with those old links scttered all over the forum and not working... it's not pleasent...
cant we do something about it

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
Ubuntu, coz its so light, free, preloaded with neccessary applications and is best suited for n00bies like me. its the most accessible of all.

sknowonweb

Journeyman
SLACK WARE .
Its damn easy to configure .
I fell in love with slack on first impression .
Ha , .. using slack sometimes means u are a geek in some part of this world

B

Brat-Man

Ubuntu's the Best..

For the Following Reasons:

1) Debian Based, apt-get.. (someone _does_ hate dependencies dont they?, cow powers to the rescue!! ) and Easily Accessible Repos.

2) Huge Community.

3) Extremely Stable.. the new Dapper Beta is Stable as Rock!

4) Dapper Beta + XGL-Compiz = Linsta (Linux + Vista)!! (Who Said Only MacOSX and WinVista shud have Cool Hardware Rendered Desktop with Cool Visual Effects)

and Many More Advantages...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
sknowonweb said:
SLACK WARE .
Its damn easy to configure .
I fell in love with slack on first impression .
Ha , .. using slack sometimes means u are a geek in some part of this world
I hear it calling me again. I am gonna get back to slackware soon. very soon.

eagle_y2j

Youngling
Suse is great eye canady with grear hardware support................................................................................... all dots for 50

ra_rav

Broken In
Knoppix hd-install. Everything preconfigured to the best experience on desktop. You dont have to worry about pre-insatll config.

All the important packages included.(even develoment packages, which are not included in ubuntu)

Extremely fast. very less startup time

all h/w detected.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Slackware da best da rocking most and the whateverz. In Javed Jaffery's lingo its somethingz dat u just cant beatz.

mediator

Technomancer
HI,
I have been using fedora for more than 1 year now and must say its the best for me! But it doesnt have good graphics, something which i dont mind.
Now I WANNA INSTALL a distro on my dad's laptop which has best graphics, ease of use and must have all the features !
I tried ubuntu but I didnt like the graphics and didnt have most of the features like traceroute or whois etc ( i forgot which one was it ). Now I tried knoppix 4.0.2 the latest and to my surprise I found it better than fedora and extremely fast....had awesome graphics and all the features i wanted.
I just WANNA KNOW from people who have experienced different distros .....IS there a better distro than knoppix ?.....I mean is Suse 10 good or shud I continue with Knoppix......Please tell from ur experience and do not post links to some websites!
I just want the distro to have all the options: like programming(java,gcc,perl) ;; All the network tools ;; xmms,xine,gmplayer,gprs,usb internet support,bluetooth programs,latest open office ;; ease of use ;; excellent graphics !

Last edited:
OP
C

coolblue

Broken In
Hey mediator....u should give Suse 10 (or better 10.1 when its out this May) a try...its known to be very good with laptops...plus its very easy to administer & use with so many gui tools for admin.....it DOES have all things u desire:)

mediator

Technomancer
Yea I know its very good and have tried suse 9.1 much earlier.....but I wanna know from ur experience if its better than knoppix 4.0.2 coz I'm not much a person who keeps on installing different OS to find out which is best. I installed Ubuntu coz some noob frndz of mine adviced that...but seriously I found it pathetic and removed it straight away!
If u have experienced knoppix and still prefer suse 10 plz lemme know!

Last edited:

sknowonweb

Journeyman
@mediator
A Suse 10 is gud with its eyecandy all the way . But i failed to configure my eth0 in that . good graphics and sound support . Give that a try .

Slackware. sleek with a power .

blackpearl

The Devil
sknowonweb said:
@mediator
A Suse 10 is gud with its eyecandy all the way . But i failed to configure my eth0 in that . good graphics and sound support . Give that a try .

Me too!!!!
Suse is great eyecandy, lots of application, even a large number of games, lots of essential libraries, fewer 'missing dependancies ' issues and on top of it there is Wine.

the only prob is I m unable to setup my DSL connection. I use GNOME and there is no Kinternet.

I m trying......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom