which is the best way to switch off computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
just pull the plug its sure to rest ur computer in peace....

I GUESS YOU NEED TO BE A BIT MORE SENSIBLE WITH WHAT YOU POST!!
-tuxfan

Last edited by a moderator:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Hibernate saves a copy of RAM into a file c:\hiberfil.sys and then switch off the computer as shutdown. And when u switch on ur comp, it reads the contents from the file and resume the state when u did the hibernation.

So there is no harm in using hibernate over shutdown, as it saves a lot time in system startup. U should usually use shutdown instead of hibernate, if u install some software/patches, etc.

Its totally depends on the user, what he like hibernate or shutdown! :)

sude

Tech'ing life seriously!!
just hiobernating is good....
bt u can do another thing just click the power button on ur keyboard and ur system shuts down automatically... this is the shortest shortcut to shutdown...

bt at first u hav to configure it:
to configure go to desktop>>properties>>screensaver>>power>>advanced and select appropriate settings...

-SUDE

Venom

Journeyman
If you dont like long shutdown times and yet need to shutdown, you got to try this one out :D

*www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Misc__Utilities/SuperFast_Shutdown.html

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
just pull the plug its sure to rest ur computer in peace....

hmm... some time i do it... when in a hurry... to go some where and suddenlly remmembered ohh system is still running... then who cares... lol... just switch the UPS power off... ;)

hafees

In the zone
just press the power button on the PC. (i have configured it to hibernate, when power button is pressed)

godsownman

Padawan
I generally hibernate it , dont have the patience for a complete shutdown.

None of the 2 options can do harm , because the ONLY thing that does harm is if you interrupt the power supply abrubtly, we are not doing that in either of these 2 methods.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
I, huh, push the power button and then start the process of getting ready. Still I have to wait for it to shutdown. Then I put of the mains and then I go. No ups I dunno y I just dont want a UPS :p

Ishan

In the zone
@djmykey
I am not able to understand what u have written above

what ru asking/telling? even tell when r u pushing the power pbutton..to start ur PC or to switch it oFF..
Sorry but i really couldnt

djmykey

Let the music play.....
(I am supposed to go out somewhere when I am on the PC)
I, huh, push the power button

(This is me dressing up)
then start the process of getting ready.

(After I get all dressed up)
Still I have to wait for it to shutdown. Then I put off the mains and then I go. No ups I dunno y I just dont want a UPS :p

S

SE><IE

^^LOL

@amit:
1) Press ctrl-alt-del to bring up taskmanager.
2) Goto SHUTDOWN menu
3) press (and hold) ctrl and click on 'turn off'
4) wait no more than 8 seconds...coz u'r done

tuxfan

Technomancer
Hibernate just saves a copy of RAM on your HD and loads it from there to quickly start your machine. Nothing wrong in it. You can usually do this.

But windows being windows, needs a clean re-start every now and then. So once in a while, you will have to opt for shutdown or Windows will start behaving abnormally.

PS: I can see that most of the posts here are not to the point and some are outright stupid. What happens if you guys get such answers to your problems? Hope you all understand.

shaunak

Tux Fan
Results of my tests:

Shutdown
Antivirus+firewall running [time taken:14.5 seconds]
Antivirus+firewall running+word [time taken:16.5 seconds]

Hibernate
Antivirus+firewall running [time taken:7.8 seconds]
Antivirus+firewall running+word [time taken:9.5 seconds]

Thus hibernating is definately faster but it takes up some hdd space. [proportional to your ram]

Note: imm not very good with the stopwatch. cant trust the times.
note2: had problems waking up [i dont normally hibernate]. imm gussing they were caused due to avast.dont know for sure.
note3: hope you dont call this a stupid reply. i had to reboot five times!:p

mediator

Technomancer
Hi friends I never tried this hibernate thing. So can u please tell me more how to hibernate in FC5 ? and does hardisk shutdowns completely oin hibernate? I mean can we pull out the power plug after hibernate?

djmykey

Let the music play.....
mediator said:
Hi friends I never tried this hibernate thing. So can u please tell me more how to hibernate in FC5 ? and does hardisk shutdowns completely oin hibernate? I mean can we pull out the power plug after hibernate?

I dont think we can hibernate in Linux its only there in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom