Which is the best Email Client under GNU/Linux?

Which is the best Email Client under GNU/Linux?

• Kmail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mozilla Mail

• Mozilla Thunderbird

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I am on the verge of making a big leap towards regular use of GNU/Linux. For that to happen, I need to settle down on a good email client. I require some opinions from expereinced users.

Under Windows, I have been using Outlook Express 6. I have many email accounts spreaded across multiple identities. If possible, I would like to continue enjoying this facility. Please keep this in mind when expressing your opinion. Please help me decide which is the best email client under this great OS. Not only cast your vote, but also give reasons. Thanks.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
From experience, i'd suggest to go in for the Mozilla Bundle package... which includes browser and mail client.... You'll be able to add all your Outlook accounts except for hotmail accounts...

KMail is not good because it does not group various pop3 mail accounts and dumps all mail collected from various pop3 servers into a single inbox... whereas mozilla/thunderbird categorize it ....

I've heard that KMail has a feature wherein you can Bounce back a mail... this comes in handy if you've been added to a spam list... by a bounced mail, the spammer might remove you from his list....

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
So far whatever opinions I have had, thunderbird has been the winner. But I would like to even have a look at kmail.

Thank you everyone for your opinion. I will wait for some more.

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
I am somewhat more comfortable in Evolution. But the popular opinion so far has been tilted towards Thunderbird in almost all the forums I posted this question. :)

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have started with Evolution. More comfortable. It is more Outlook/OE like and therefore easier to use. Old habits die hard :(

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Pine is the default email client used by the linux world. In our college (IISc) it is the most widly used software. details can be seen on
*www.freeos.com/articles/3840/
regards pradeep

firewall

In the zone
yes.. i can remember, i have used pine in our college, sitting over a teminal using telnet....

those days are koolest......

thanks @ pradeep_chauhan for bringing my sweet memories...

:)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
pradeep_chauhan said:
Pine is the default email client used by the linux world. In our college (IISc) it is the most widly used software.
Oh yes... though PINE is coolest but since its not a free software, it was not installed at my server. I have to use mutt .... :x :x :x

pankyprk

Broken In
TB, i'm using it on windows, dont know abt Linux Much, but it has a spam filter, and it really works. !!

graphical theme is also nice,

THUNDERBIRD !!!

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hey I think pine is a free software.Pine was developed by Computing & Communications at the University of Washington. Though originally designed for inexperienced email users, Pine has evolved to support many advanced features, and an ever-growing number of configuration and personal-preference options. check out the link and the legal page
*www.washington.edu/pine/

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
pradeep_chauhan said:
Hey I think pine is a free software.

No... PINE is not Free Software... you can download PINE for free of cost be you cannot redistribute its modified sources... In that sense it is Non - Free Software

Check out its licence terms and conditions...
*www.washington.edu/pine/faq/legal.html

this is what its says...
..................Anyone can also create and distribute patch files to implement bug fixes or minor enhancements without asking permission. However, redistribution of a modified version of Pine requires explicit permission from the University of Washington................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom