Which is better Windowblinds Or .msstyles

Status
Not open for further replies.

majig

Broken In
It was more then a year ago when i first skined my winXP with windowblinds free edition i got in digit CD (.......... 2nd Aniv. issue?). I really loved it. It also had style XP but I hated it. It looked liked just a coloured variation of Default XP luna theme..........Then i started to hate that remainder splash skin of WB. So I hasitantly swithced to style XP. After a while i patched the uxtheme.dll and downloaded a lots of beautiful themes. I started liking .msstyles too. Recently I'v got windowblinds enhanced edition. Now I'm unable to Decide which one to use.

Or is there a way to use both?

theraven

Technomancer
windows blinds sux acc. to me
if ur using software style xp rocks ...
else patched uxtheme is perfect enuff ....
stick to no software ;)

digen

Youngling
I prefer patching uxtheme.Get uxtheme patcher from Neowin or else do it manually.But if you like to use software then as raven said Style XP is da best.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
theraven said:
windows blinds sux acc. to me
patched uxtheme is perfect enuff ....
stick to no software ;)

DITTO

i use the utxtheme patch supplied by style xp .
everything else is rubbish

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
There are two more theme utils which are getting popular these days. One is Talisman Desktop and the other is Aston. They are extremely good theming utlities with a lot of flexibility. So might wanna try that too.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Me too patched ustheme.dll and using msstyles to add styles only afterwards i uninstall it and use it as for icons i have used resource hacker to replace them. It was a pain in the @$$ but still it paid off.

saROMan

QA Juggler
i prefer..style XP ..coz its less resource hungry....BTW Aston is also good.....i won the Best Desktop Award...for aston only ......

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Style Xp Because
1) Its low on recourses...and doesnt slow you operating system down...
2) No issuse like other Desktop enhancement tools..
3) Ms recommended
4) Lotsa skins available...
Best looking skin Panther Brushed theme...
i'm Better off with it than other :p

OP
M

majig

Broken In
Before I read your replys i was starting to like WB again.
You guys made me more confused.
The real reason behind the switch was TOOLBAR. I have
patched uxtheme.dll and used yztoolbar. But it disapears time to
time. Does styleXP lets you change the toolbar? (.......... don't
rememeber)
All of you'r aginst WB, but one thing about WB. It has
more features like animated buttons(buttons can be placed
anywhere), smoother(?), freeform, smaller files (kbs) to dnld
than mstyles (mbs).
I dont know about resource hungry......... One thing for sure
using themes will always eat up some memory anyway.
I do think that there are better themes availabe for
.msstyle. They are BEST. ...........Then again i'v found the same VS
theme (Inspirat) for WB as well.

theraven

Technomancer
all that u mentioned WB can do .. u can do urself manually by changin the appropriate files using resource hacker
read digit's crack it contests for the past 2 months to learn more
personally i dun think WB deserves that much attention just for this ( anymore that is .. once i discovered how it could be done .. i left WB for good ... i never liked it ... but i had no choice with my animations :( )

u dunno abt resource hungry ... trust us .. we do ;)
WB sucks it up ... u WILL notice the diff. using style XP or no software ... u have to .. and u must !! ( notice the diff. i mean )

extract all the resources u have and manually edit the appropriate files .... exasperating ... but rewards are greater ... and the self satisfaction makes it worth it
ofcourse u wont be able to change as often as u like :p
u CAN make ur own themes too ... for whichever software u want ...
there is no interoperability ... but u can make anythign work if u put ur mind to it

one example .. i really liked this VIPER ( DODGE ) logo screen ... but it was in a logonui.exe form ...
and i didnt wanna mess with EXE's ... i used logon studio
i extracted all thef iles necessary from it ...and i made my own logon studio VIPER logon ;)
silly ... but felt good when i did it 2 yrs back

OP
M

majig

Broken In
theraven wrote:

all that u mentioned WB can do .. u can do urself manually by changin the appropriate files using resource hacker

I agree with you. Infect i did use resource hacker to change icons, bootskin, startbutton, logins......... As you'v said it was worth it.
But can you change the menus or toolbars?
Would love learn that.

One more thing I dont never meant that WB is better. Just made the point that might not have been considered.

BTW

freshseasons wrote :

Style Xp Because
1) Its low on recourses...and doesnt slow you operating system down...
2) No issuse like other Desktop enhancement tools..
3) Ms recommended
4) Lotsa skins available...

Can't and Won't argue with any of them except

3) Ms recommended

Didn't knew about it. May be I am wrong but when does some recomends other to crack their own S/W. Mircrosoft doesn't allow us to use unsigned themes. But do allow us to use unsigned drivers. So basically they dont wants others to make themes for win XP. So style XP showed the way to patche the uxtheme.dll . (Still they do it. Only more advanced way they. it runs as a service.) But It is illegel cos the creator does not want it (even after SP2). Like when we use cracks to make Shareware run as full version or use it for more then its trial period. :wink:

If Ms did that umm........................Interesting :!:

go4inet

In the zone
whatever you use, everything is a crap, they suck your system resource very heavily !

always stay with orginality and genuine stuff ! coz you stay for long.

Anyways on both software you specifed, you can count on Windows Blind & latest version v4.04 is damn cool too !

Regards,
Vinay

Ashis

In the zone
I had Used Both, Both Are Good & Attracts Different Breed of People.
I perticularly Liked the Window Blind (Din't Remember The Theme, It was All Broken & Damaged Windows). :p

Window Blind Created problem! office XP Became Unstable so I have Stopped Using It.. Long Back. :oops:

Now I Use IconPackager With The Them Cool Candy (I made It Cuz I dod'nt find Any thing good out there in the market (It Uses Cool Candy Icons)). 8) :D

U can Download It from.... good idea :idea: (Let Me Host It first) !!! :twisted:

sms_solver

In the zone
I have patched uxtheme and have downloaded good visual styles from devintart.com

1 :?: I have is , why uxtheme has to be patched to use other themes beside provided by MS

can anybody give the reason. is this some kind of unlocking

go4inet

In the zone
have you guys tried Hulk theme with Blinfs, a full ****, it haNGS My system very often.

So i say all these skinning softwares are crap !

OP
M

majig

Broken In
sms_solver asked the question:

why uxtheme has to be patched to use other themes beside provided

by MS

And here is the answer:

have you guys tried Hulk theme with Blinfs, a full ****, it haNGS My

system very often.

So i say all these skinning softwares are **** !

MS knew it before :!: Had they allowed.............they would have face the blame.
Some themes does work and some don't. The reason is creator does get payed for their work. So they dont care if will it work perfectly on someone else computer. What they look for is aesthetics. What they think is good.
So if a theme does not work, blame it on your luck and look for another one. Cos there are lots of them choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom