which is better 8400GS (512mb) or 8600GT (256mb)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayabusa_ryu

Journeyman
I have bought nVidia 8400GS with 512mb graphics card in the price of 3900/-. I went to another shop and asked for nVidia 8600GT. The vendor told that he has nVidia 8600GT with 256mb graphics card(no hyper technology) in the price of 3400-3500/-. After knowing this I want to upgrade but I m in a dilemma.
So, I want to ask which is better 8400GS with 512mb or 8600GT with 256mb? I know that the speed of 8600GT is little(100-150) greater than that of 8400GS but here video memory is also greater than that of 8600GT.
One more thing is there any difference between simply nVidia GPU and nVidia XFX GPU? The vendor asked from me for which version to give either nVidia or nVidia XFX.
One more question, I have only one PCI slot in which I have 8400GS installed
. Can I put another grahics card like 8600GT(256mb) in other AGP slot? Will it create problems or will I get combined video memory of 8400 and 8600, a total of 768 mb?

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Re: =====> Which is better? <=====

U need PCI-E slot to put any 8 series card..
no problems, it will run fine in SLi
definately 8600 GT is better ( go for ASUS EN 8600 GT 512 mb DDR3 )

OP
hayabusa_ryu

hayabusa_ryu

Journeyman

Harry u don't understand, I asked which is better 8400GS (512mb) or 8600GT (256mb)? I know that 8600GT with 512 mb is very good.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven

Please for the love of God, name the thread with at least a little hint of your question.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Firstly no way u can get an 8600GT for 3.5k range. The lowest possible price is 5k for XFX.
And there is no XFX nvidia GPU.
nvidia is the international brand which makes the GPU and they also provide the reference design for the PCB nd heatsing for for every GPU they make.

Brans like Asus, XFX, MSi....gets these GPU, nd place them on PCB with many components like capacito, transistor and mainly video ram/mem.
Some of them desigh custon heatsink other than vnidia specified. They can either be efficient than reference or be poorer than it.

]And lastly 8600GT 256DDR3 is 4x times better than a 8400GS 512MB DDR2. In case of Gcrds, with a lil higher budget u can always get 2x or 4x times performing cards[unlike CPU].
And it dun really depends on clocks of the GPU, that how its real performance is. It depends on various matters like no of pixel/vertex/geometry shader unit, memory interface bandwidth, fill rate, S/w SM versions and it also depends lil on clocks.

moshel

Padawan
just tell us wat mobo ur using and wat is ur budget, we will suggest you a good graphics card.

anispace

dattebayo
i think he is getting a 8500gt(8600gt costs around 5k) for 3.3k which is better than 8400gs though not by a very large margin. if ur getting a 8400gs then dont waste money on the 512mb version rather get d 256mb one for 2200rs.

OP
hayabusa_ryu

hayabusa_ryu

Journeyman
Thanks guyz. I was away from my PC for several days so I didnot reply. Sorry for that. Now I m now convinced. special thanks to DOMINATOR for detail answer. Yes U all true here too , the vendor was cheating me (by saying 8600GT for 3500/-), therefore I posted this question here bcaz I dont much about GPU. I was very angry with the vendor. The problem was that when I found myself cheated I got out of temper therefore I posted here this question in angry mood to know the truth.
And for HARRY, U should respect others. How can u say that I m rude? The red colour was to show that I was in angry mood and that's all.

kayos

Boy Waiting To Be A Man!!

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Y DO YOU COPY PASTE , Vaibhavtek ??????????
See post number 4 and post number 17
I hate plagiarism ; READ THE FORUM RULES CAREFULLY
and btw his problem is solved .

and this is the second time i believe
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=722075#post722075
look at 6th POST and 10th post..

WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom