Which iPod to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayritik

Technomancer
I'm planning to buy an iPod within 10k. What would be the best option to go for? Will iPod Nano be a good option? From where can I purchase it? I stay in Hyderabad. Do we have iPod exclusive dealers in Hyderabad. Will it be available for the same price that is mentioned in the apple website? $149 for 4GB and $199 for 8 GB respectively. That should come to Rs 5960 and Rs 7960. Do we have any exclusive outlets available here. I heard there is one in Chennai. How can we make sure that we are buying a genuine piece and not gray or fake one? Will I get the latest iPod Nano as advertised in the Apple site.

Sourabh

Laptoping
The Indian MRPs for the new iPods are obviously higher than US rates. The new 8GB iPod Nano with video support will be in your budget. <10k

Indiaplaza has the best rates for the new iPods. Check it out here.
You can even get it from the apple outlet in your city but that would be a bit more expensive. Buying from any one of these will give you Apple India warranty, so they're genuine.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
the box is sufficint indication whether ur buying the original or fake ;) .... the prices u see on the site do not include the taxes :)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Thanks for the info. Yes I know that there are certain outlets here in Hyderabad where we get the iPod Nano. But they will be very expensive. And I was also concerned whether I will get the latest one available which was launched in September this year.

I have an old iPod Shuffle which is longer than the one that we get nowadays. Is it possible for me to sell of this or exchange this for a new one.

I heard there is an exclusive branch or outlet in Chennai for iPod.

K

krazyfrog

Here in Mumbai one can get a 30gb iPod for 10k. For a little less one can get 4gb Nano.

K

krazyfrog

^^ Ya but the 6th gen isn't available here yet. Even Apple India website shows the 5.5 gen iPod.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have checked the prices of the latest iPod models from their site. This one is not Indian site. Here are the prices

iPod Shuffle 1 GB $ 79

iPod Nano 4 GB $149
8 GB $199

iPod Classic 80GB $249
160GB $349

iPod Touch 8GB $299
16GB $399

I'm not sure whether these are generation 6 but I think they maybe the latest. I guess these ones will be expensive here.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Yes Classic is gen 6 and the prices of classic 80gb are the same as tht of the previous 5.5 30 gb model ;)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Krazy frog can you tell me where in Mumbai iPod is available? Can you tell me the store name if any? Do you know the prices of the latest iPod models available?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ipods are available at croma; alfa; hypercity and there are many other places ... the prices will vary everywhre :)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have a friend in Mumbai with whom I can try to get the iPod. So can any one tell me the name of the place? Why is it that there will be different prices for the same product? Will the product be genuine? Thanks for the info iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
croma (tata's electronic showroom) gives with bill and mostly sells at a premium the prices would be very close to the 1s u wud have to pay at an authorised apple re-seller

hypercity - gives with bill but chances are its prices will be lower than croma

alfa - gray market - no bill but product will be genuine (u will get 2 days to test it)

PS: for the ipod u dont need the bill coz u can buy it widout bill and then register at apple.com with the serial no. mentioned at the back of the ipod and wen u need to get ur pod chked or serviced go to the auhorised reseller he will chk online and see that ur pod is registered he will chk the date and will do the needful

the ipod is something that ppl like to buy so all showrooms hav their own pricing policy same is the case with all electronic goods ....

ipodp rices at all apple authorised re-sellers will be same but at different show rooms will be different

K

krazyfrog

The prices i gave were from Alfa in Mumbai. It was without bill but the shopkeeper assured me that i'll still get warranty without it (how that works, i've got no idea). I don't think the latest iPod's are available in India yet. Most shops will still be selling the 2gen Nano and 5.5 gen iPods. Btw instead of going for the iPod Classic, i'll suggest you go for the touch screen model, i.e. if you don't need lots of space.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
krazyfrog said:
the shopkeeper assured me that i'll still get warranty without it (how that works, i've got no idea)
iMav said:
PS: for the ipod u dont need the bill coz u can buy it widout bill and then register at apple.com with the serial no. mentioned at the back of the ipod and wen u need to get ur pod chked or serviced go to the auhorised reseller he will chk online and see that ur pod is registered he will chk the date and will do the needful

:smile:

kumarmohit

Technomancer

Hey Arya, if u r on this thread, can you assure me abt this?

Not that I do not believe iMav but just want to be double sure.;)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
he himself didnt know abt this and confirmed long back ;) rest assured used this method for many of my frenz ;)

the thing is that wen u buy an ipod every ipod has a unique serial no. which is inprinted on the back of the ipod now wen u register ur ipod on apple.com u need to put in this serial no. and no info abt the bill has to be given and wen u go to the authorized re-seller for support theu chk the status online so wen they go to appl.com and put in the serial no. of ur ipod they will see that yes its still under 1 yr warrnaty from the date u registered as a result they will not ask u for a bill and wont force u to produce 1 as u have registered it

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iMav is right - at least, mostly.

That's the way it is with all Apple products. You register it online and then when a problem crops up, the service centre guys check out the registration and do your servicing.

But sometimes, they do ask for the bill. So, it's safer to have the bill on you but by no means compulsory. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom