Which graphics card is best for Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Hi friends,
I want to buy a Dell laptop. All other config are OK, but the choice between Graphics Card is really difficult. Ati mobility Radeon x1400 (256MB Hyper) and Nvidia Geforce Go 7200 256 MB Turbocache is the options in front of me. Which one is the best among these two? Which one give the nost fps in games? There is also another costly solution for me, which is Nvidia Geforce Go 7900 256MB dedicated graphics. Is it worth the money spent on this card?

Extra money needed for each card:
Ati mobility Radeon x1400 - 6362 Rs
Nvidia Geforce Go 7200 - 3450 Rs
Nvidia Geforce Go 7900 - 10200 Rs

I need to decide it soon. So I really need your help.

Thanks in advance.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Its not such a simple decision. The above mentioned discrete graphics are options on select models only whose cost vary. x1400 and go7400 are options on 14.1"/15.4" Inspiron 640m and Inspiron 6400, go7400 on 12.1" XPS M1210, and go7900GS on the 17" Inspiron 9400. Cost of each of the stock config of laptop models range from 45k odd to 70k plus the graphics.

As for your query, There is no such option as Go7200. Performance of X1400 and go7400 is nearly same. Some laptops based on go7400 support hybrid graphics which let you use onboard gma950 which is more easy on the battery. I hope you got your answer.

OP
S

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Well, I am almost decided to buy Dell Inspiron 9400, and this one comes with an option of Nvidia Geforce Go 7900. If I buy that one, what are the minus points I need to encounter? Is that worth the Money?

My config :
Intel CoreDuo T2500 (2.0 GHz, 2MB Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Intel(R) 945 Chipset Family
17" UltraSharp(TM) Wide Screen UXGA Display with Truelife(TM): 1920x1200
Dell(TM) Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module
Targus, Optical Mouse, Wireless
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card
9-Cell 80Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Dual layer
1024MB (1 X 1024MB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
100GB SATA 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive

And Graphics options are
ATi Mobility Radeon x1400
Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS

This is where I got confused, but desided to go with Nvidia.
What are the main problem with this system. I know It is Bulky - that doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
Well, if you really have the money to spend, then I think there a couple of other nice deals in the Indian market. You can contact Acer India about Travelmate 8200. It would be around the same price as you are spending on this Inspiron 9400 customized, the config of the TM8200 is nearly the same as Inspiron 9400. Plus it comes with a 15.4" widescreen with WSXGA resolution, and a much higher battery rating. It has a X1600 graphics which can take care of most needs. There is another ASUS model on similar lines which costs just a little less and plus a 2 yr warranty. Contact them both before making a decision.

G

gxsaurav

if it's graphics card only then go for Geforce 7400, they provide much better performance then X1600 as lower battery life, if u r going to use it mainly on A.C. power, then get 7900GT which will drain battery life a lot faster

OP
S

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Battery life is not a problem. I want top performance. I cannot compromise on that. I still can compromise on display. Money is not a problem. If I go for Geforce 7900GS not GT, will it satisfy my needs? I am still confused about the performance of Ati x1600 and Geforce 7900GS, becuse both have 256MB dedicated and Ati can also use 256MB from Ram. Do u know which one is the best?

I am living in Singapore now studying Computer Engineering. I am in front of a lot of choices, and that is the problem with me. All latest products are available here. What I want is a top notch performance Laptop, which can even compete a desktop.

@sourabh, If I choose Acer or ASUS, then can i costomise it to include DDR2 667Mhz RAM, and 100GB 7200rpm HDD? These two are most important because, in most laptops the performance burden is the slow harddisk. I want it fast, and for that I will sacrifice on battery life.

And thanks a lot, both of u, for helping me.

G

gxsaurav

since battery life isn't important then go for 7900GT, it beats the hell out of X1600 in games

the extra 256 MB RAM that the X1600X is shared RAM, from your system, this is simply a marketting gimmick, it is indeed a feature made to lower costs...since dedicated RAM is faster then shared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom