Which course to do in security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi

Please which course or certification is good?

I have heard about CEH and CISSP ?

are they good, is ECcouncil have a bad repo?

I want to do something in ebusiness security or online security..

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Well, First I'd suggest you to read the book 'Hacking for Dummies', and later you can do CISSP (its one of the best certificates!)

(Some Gyaan would'nt hurt would it?)

(And Yes, it takes 5-6 years for you to get CISSP certified.. its not like those MSCE/etc. Certs :rolleyes:)

OP
mobilegeek

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
^ thx man .. you mean this one *www.amazon.com/Hacking-Dummies-Kevin-Beaver/dp/076455784X
ok I will buy it soon & start of with it .. between which languages are must be known to pursue this field?

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Yup! Thats the one! Costs just 300 here in Bangalore. The Book teaches you the terms and the basic! Has lots of Do's and Do-Not's, You'll love it!

I'd suggest you learn Perl and C correctly! :)

OP
mobilegeek

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
this book is just a beginner or shall i start with more intermediate level.
but just 300 .. cool, so i can start of with it the shift to other.
can u tell some more.

How do you see the best way to pursue it .. as in a Certification requires a coaching and all,
what about the master in security sciences degrees,
Do we have such degrees in indan univ or we have to look in foreign univ.

OP
mobilegeek

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
Maverick340 said:
Try CCNA. Its a intro certification but strengthens your basics
ya CCNA is good
hmmm but I think its for those who want to in for Telecommunication or GSM field,
its all routers etc. :rolleyes:

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
mobilegeek said:
this book is just a beginner or shall i start with more intermediate level.
but just 300 .. cool, so i can start of with it the shift to other.
can u tell some more.

How do you see the best way to pursue it .. as in a Certification requires a coaching and all,
what about the master in security sciences degrees,
Do we have such degrees in indan univ or we have to look in foreign univ.
d00d! Security is not a stupid fad certificate you earn like CCNA/etc.

Its not about going to No.1 Institute by paying 1Cr or something :rolleyes:

Its about Experience! Being a CEH is dead easy, But atleast Taking a CISSP Exam takes 5 years, incl 4 years as a Experienced Security Expert! Its an International Certificate!

Just get that book! Has all the Information required for you to begin! Later you can join a Institute and get a CEH certificate! Later visit some Ethical Hacking Boards/News Sites and get to know the news/etc.

Just get the Book, You'll get lot of Gyaan! None of the book is better to actually begin! The CISSP certified author Suggest some extra Sites/Books to read after you complete the Book!

OP
mobilegeek

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
[xubz] said:
d00d! Security is not a stupid fad certificate you earn like CCNA/etc.

Its not about going to No.1 Institute by paying 1Cr or something :rolleyes:

Its about Experience! Being a CEH is dead easy, But atleast Taking a CISSP Exam takes 5 years, incl 4 years as a Experienced Security Expert! Its an International Certificate!

Just get that book! Has all the Information required for you to begin! Later you can join a Institute and get a CEH certificate! Later visit some Ethical Hacking Boards/News Sites and get to know the news/etc.

Just get the Book, You'll get lot of Gyaan! None of the book is better to actually begin! The CISSP certified author Suggest some extra Sites/Books to read after you complete the Book!
thanx a lot I got to know the real difference between them now. I went to a Education Fair yesterday in Delhi .. but noone had a clue on Masters in Security field. I understand that CISSP is good and its based on the exp in this field. and I was thinking may be this (*www.eccuni.us/mss.htm) type of degree in a regular campus study can help me reach that level earlier. So that it helps in the job too. and then do CISSP or something.

Last edited:

kanaderohan

Right off the assembly line
i am extremely tempted to say that , join a good fxp team

u will get practical experience there, or just go for some ethical hacking course

they also teach well

magnet

Youngling
dude....but doing ccna atleast lets u get a basic job of admin in an agency than working on other cert as u mentioned will help u earn plus learn and also experince added.......
Cissp has lot of value in us...so does ceh

OP
mobilegeek

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok then I starting with CCNA first ..

My friend who did CCNA last year told me to just follow the Tom Lammle and its sufficient.
*www.amazon.com/CCNA-Certified-Network-Associate-640-802/dp/0470110082/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2_rsrssi1
*ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51w8daxhYYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
So I have bought it last week. ;) for Rs. 450 (25% dis) from Book Shop in Delhi.

Is it that so? is that sufficent what you suggest? and
Do I read some basic networking book before stating with that book.
I dont understand the basics ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom