Which BIOS to install ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dev04

I have a intel D815EEA motherboard. I want to upgrade my BIOS. I searched for it on the intel website and found two BIOS named "Express BIOS [EAAP11EB.EXE] (1271 KB)" and "Iflash BIOS[EA-P11.EXE] (671KB)". From this two which of the one should I install to upgrade my BIOS.

Naga

Broken In
Why do you want to upgrade? Some compatibilty issues or just like that? If u r fashing ur BIOS to get rid of some problem, read the Read Me' attached with the BIOS. Use the one that fixes your problem. Otherwise, don't touch ur BIOS. No use fixing something that's not broke!

Moin

Broken In
Hey Dev4, Naga is right. But if you have some problems with your mobo. then its better to flash through the Express BIOS utility as this one can flash your BIOS from the Windows environment itself and you don't have the hassle of creating a boot floppy diskette and using the utility from a command prompt. But keep in mind, ensure that you have a reliable power backup in case of electricity failure as you can render your mobo useless if the flash process is interrupted in between... So do it only if you know what you are doing. :) :) :)

Naga

Broken In
Flashing thru the windows environment is not such a good idea( even the latest BIOSes by Asus warn not to flash thru their own EZ flash util). DOS is best for flashing. Don't flash thru a floopy if possible as floppies r not very reliable. Use a USB drive or keep the BIOS image on the HDD and access it thru DOS. Use a win 98 start up disk to access DOS. A google search will help u find image files for 98 start up disks in case u r using XP.

Moin

Broken In
Naga said:
Flashing thru the windows environment is not such a good idea( even the latest BIOSes by Asus warn not to flash thru their own EZ flash util). DOS is best for flashing.
Hey Naga, can u tell me clearly why windows environment is not suited for flashing? I flashed my mobo. (Intel-D845GEBV2) and two of my friend's mobos(IBM Netvista) from the Windows environment and faced no problems at all... I just wanted to clear my doubts... And yes, I would be thankful if you provide me some links regarding that.

Naga

Broken In
Flashing thru winows is per se not dangerous. But u never know what other software would be installed in that environment. Anti-viruses, spyware, anti-spywares etc.etc...u get my drift. Any of these might interfer in the flashing. While in DOS, u don't have to worry about anything in the background disturbing. There are lots of opinions about these on the net, but i don't particularly remember the source of my gyan!

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Naga said:
Flashing thru winows is per se not dangerous. But u never know what other software would be installed in that environment. Anti-viruses, spyware, anti-spywares etc.etc...u get my drift. Any of these might interfer in the flashing. While in DOS, u don't have to worry about anything in the background disturbing. There are lots of opinions about these on the net, but i don't particularly remember the source of my gyan!

Amen to that, it's definitely not dangerous per se but not the recommended. Imagine if windows hangs or sumthng of that sort happens during the flashing process, the device will be screwed !

medpal

Medic on Call!!
i just flashe my bios through express bios today of my intel d845 gbev board.

upgrading though express bios is much better than flashing through dos / floppy and power failure will be dumping your board in the garbage.

take care that you close all the applications before updating including any antivirus / spyware removers / adware removers / any background applicatinos or launchers / intel active monitor / even sound card software and disconnect from net and then do it.

it is just a 3/5 min procedure take care not to power down your system during the process or have ups with you.

Naga

Broken In
Like I said, lots of opinions about this! Use the method u're more comfortable in. Personally, I don't trust the stability of Windows that much. I check my system everytime I disconnect from the net for spyware/adware that might have installed int the background and I usually catch one in a week. Also,giving a three finger salute to XP is not that easy considering the number of services running in the bckgrnd. Each 2 his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom