Which bike should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello! :)

I want to buy a bike. I have the older Bajaj Pulsar 150cc right now but I'm kinda bored with it.

I was thinking of going in for a cruiser this time round, something like the Bajaj Avenger. But then all those new sporty bikes look quite sexy and I want to ride those too.

So my question is, which one should I opt for? Once you guys suggest a few models, I'll add a poll. The budget is not much of a constraint.

Please help a poor fellow out! :)

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
First decide whether you want a cruiser or a sports bike cause there is a world of difference between and they are designed to appeal for different kinds of riders. Cruisers are designed for a relaxed style of riding. They have large comfortable seats which can pamper your backside even on very long rides. They have a comfortable seat-footpeg-handlebar position which allows for stress free riding. They usually have powerful engines. They don't usually like corners and spirited handling and instead prefer straight highways. They can be a bit handful in city traffic because of their weight and length. They do have excellent ride quality though. If all this appeals to you then get the Bajaj Avenger which is the best cruiser you can get. There are the Royal Enfield Bullets but I personally don't like them. There is a new 200 cc version of Avenger available which a nice retro looking windscreen and a useful fuel guage missing on the earlier version.

Sports bike usually are designed for a sporty riding style. They have low handle bars and the footpegs are positioned slightly behind than usual. This makes the rider lean on the bike. This position is sporty but can be painful over long rides. They also have powerful engines with very nice exhaust notes. Their handling is much sharper but ride quality is usually sacrificed to achieve this. If all this turns you on then you should go for Bajaj Pulsar 200. It is one of the best bikes you can get for your money in India. Excellent performance, handling, ride quality and fantastic looks. Plus there is stuff like digital speedometer, led tail lights, alloy wheels, disc brake, etc. Its really popular here now. You're also familiar with the Pulsar so you'll feel at home on it, although i must say it is quite a different beast than the one you had.

So choose wisely. :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
First decide whether you want a cruiser or a sports bike cause there is a world of difference between and they are designed to appeal for different kinds of riders. Cruisers are designed for a relaxed style of riding. They have large comfortable seats which can pamper your backside even on very long rides. They have a comfortable seat-footpeg-handlebar position which allows for stress free riding. They usually have powerful engines. They don't usually like corners and spirited handling and instead prefer straight highways. They can be a bit handful in city traffic because of their weight and length. They do have excellent ride quality though. If all this appeals to you then get the Bajaj Avenger which is the best cruiser you can get. There are the Royal Enfield Bullets but I personally don't like them. There is a new 200 cc version of Avenger available which a nice retro looking windscreen and a useful fuel guage missing on the earlier version.

Sports bike usually are designed for a sporty riding style. They have low handle bars and the footpegs are positioned slightly behind than usual. This makes the rider lean on the bike. This position is sporty but can be painful over long rides. They also have powerful engines with very nice exhaust notes. Their handling is much sharper but ride quality is usually sacrificed to achieve this. If all this turns you on then you should go for Bajaj Pulsar 200. It is one of the best bikes you can get for your money in India. Excellent performance, handling, ride quality and fantastic looks. Plus there is stuff like digital speedometer, led tail lights, alloy wheels, disc brake, etc. Its really popular here now. You're also familiar with the Pulsar so you'll feel at home on it, although i must say it is quite a different beast than the one you had.

WOW! Quite the lecture, huh? :p

Thanks for the very useful post though! Are you sure that cruisers don't take politely to corners? I was always under the impression that due to the low ride height, it would be easier to corner them...

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Corners are better handled by sports bikes. Cruisers are rather lazy around the corners. They are designed more for straight. The design of the handle bar and the seating position doesn't really encourage you to flick the bike. Ride a Pulsar or CBZ Xtreme and a Avenger back to back and you'll realize the difference. The cruiser encourages you to adopt a smoother riding style while bikes like Pulsar or CBZ can bring out the Valentino Rossi in you.

Btw if you want I can provide the on-road prices for these bikes as well as their performance and fuel efficiency figures.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
So, which one would you recommend for a tiny, cramped city?

I don't give two hoots about fuel efficiency but I would really appreciate it if you could help me out with the performance and price. :)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Pulsar 200.

[~73k in chennai, 20 days ago]

--------

low ride height doesnt mean you can corner it like hell :p, ofcourse it matters in cars (down force), but not much in bikes.

cruisers, as they are long (wheelbase), are not corner friendly.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Pulsar 220 has a fuel injection engine, half front fairing (which means the headlight is fixed and does not move with the handlebars), and rear disc brakes. I personally like the look of the 220 but some people won't (like 18000). But everybody agrees that 200 looks great. 220 is by all means the best bike you can buy in India, followed by 200. If you have the cash and like the looks of 220 then that is what i'll recommend. Or you can go for 200. Believe me these are mind blowing bikes and worth every rupee. Also Bajaj has crammed these bikes with really high tech stuff and the attention to detail that they've paid is stupendous like backlighting in the switches, special guard on the fueltank to protect the tank from scratches from belt buckles, presence of a spare filament in the headlamp bulb which takes over if the first one fails, maintenance free battery, O-ring sealed chain, tubeless tires, self-cancelling turn indicators and a digital speedometer which is accurate to the last kph. Even companies like Honda which have been in this business long before Bajaj can't match them in this aspect. IMO, Bajaj makes the best bikes in India today. Just choose any of the Pulsars. You won't regret it.

Btw if you want the prices of performance figures, tell me for which bike you want them so I can post them here.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
You will have to compromise cos there isn't any Apple made White coloured iBike :D

What's your height? If it is upto 5'8" then get Apache RTR 160

It's kolkata right? Apache or Unicorn will be good for there

Pathik

Google Bot

Great explanation dude. And yea Cruisers arent good for sharp turns.
If you are short then get a Apache rtr 160. Its small wheel base makes it great for sharp turns. And looks good too.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
^^ Thanks. Yeah Apache RTR 160 is also a good bike and a fuel injection version of it is coming soon. But he doesn't have any budget restrictions thats why I suggested 220/200 since they're better than Apache.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
dude..i suggest u go for the hero honda hunk..its an awesum bike..looks great..has a fuel injection system..a bit on the pricier side..but it roks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom