which 64bitLinux

Status
Not open for further replies.

savithk

Journeyman
I have AMD64 2800+, 512 RAM, 256 8X AGP, 80GB . i want to use linux for Maya & Softimage XSI. so please tell me which 64bitLinux free version is available ??????

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
I Suggest you get Fedora Core.. (FC6 was Released Today).

*fedoraproject.org/wiki/

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
AIGLX was Jointed Developed by NVIDIA and Red Hat.. so Obviously Fedora has the Leading Edge here..

AIGLX is ALSO Supported on Ubuntu 6.10, with the Latest NVIDIA Beta Drivers.

(I Only reason I Love Ubuntu is cuz of its Community and APT)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well all the distros can have all that. So stating one has it is totally absurd.
But, it is not advisable to use a 64 bit distro as of now due to lack of availability of 64 bit softwares. No. of 64 bit software at present are lower than 32 bit ones. We will have to wait some more time before focus shifts completely to 64 bit.

OP
savithk

savithk

Journeyman
Mandriva 2007 64bit is free ?????

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
if u want 64 bit linux then u have to install 32 bit one in it as still there is no flash,java & many app

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can download Mandriva 2007 Linux (64-bit or 32-bit) from here
I doubt whether you can run 32-bit applications like Java, Flash & other 32-bit applications.
So installing a 32-bit version of Mandriva 2007 Linux is a better & sound choice.
Don't worry you can install a 32-bit Linux in your 64-bit AMD PC.
There won't be any problem. But you won't get the 64-bit PC performance.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
well i found this gentoo forum thread useful for all amd-64 users and aspirants
*forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-221361.html
mplayer / xine dont play some movies , *.wmv/*.rm/win32codecs dont work
A: You need 32bit mplayer to use 32bit codecs (for stuff like wmv9 and real). No win64codecs are currently availible.
Take a look at this guide and this topics: xine thread or this mplayer thread or just search for "mplayer" in amd64 forum what will answer your questions on this topic more completely. 32bit realpayer also works on amd64 if you want to play *.rm files.
See here what gentoo-wiki has to say about it.
below wiki article also may hold great use:
*gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AMD_64

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^
so net result is
if your are new to linux, 64bit is a abosulute no-no but if are a g33k then u can try ur hand

eddie

El mooooo
There is a thumb rule while planning to use a 64bit Linux depending on the amount of RAM you have. It goes like this...
< 1 GB RAM = 32 bit user land - 32 bit kernel
= 1 GB RAM = 32 bit user land - 64 bit kernel
> 1 GB RAM = 64 bit user land - 64 bit kernel

Since you just have 512 MB RAM, imho you should stay with 32 bit Linux distros. Rest is upto you...

[EDIT}I have changed user space to user land so that it is clearer[/EDIT]

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
eddie, can you explain the logic behind it? And what do you mean when you say user space?

mediator

Technomancer
eddie said:
There is a thumb rule while planning to use a 64bit Linux depending on the amount of RAM you have. It goes like this...
< 1 GB RAM = 32 bit user space - 32 bit kernel
= 1 GB RAM = 32 bit user space - 64 bit kernel
> 1 GB RAM = 64 bit user space - 64 bit kernel

Since you just have 512 MB RAM, imho you should stay with 32 bit Linux distros. Rest is upto you...

No eddie, >1GB ram doesn't necessarily means 64 bit system. There's no thumb rule in my knowledge, but all it has a little scientific explanation!

See 32 bit means 2^32 (2 raised to power 32) = 4,294,967,296 bytes and that's 4 GB.
SO u see a 32 bit system has a maximum supported RAM size of 4 GB.

Similarly 64 bit system has a max. supported RAM size of 2^64 = 18446744,073,709,551,616. I dunno how many billion terrabytes are these. I guess they call it 16 exabytes. Nice na?

Neways I dunno why u have written user space ad kernel space differently, both are just classifications of virtual memory .

@kalpiks : Users space is the user memory, where user apps can work and where swapping takes place.

Last edited:
OP
savithk

savithk

Journeyman
if i install linux64 on my AMD64 2800+ is support ???. i have only 512 MB of Ram it is ok for linux64 . or should i go for 1GB of RAM ????. any linux64 is available on single CD.????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom