Where to use these video formats ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pottas

Right off the assembly line
1. Can anyone tell me where to use these video formats : .avi,.wmv,.asf,.mp4,.mov,.flv,.mpg,.dat, .vob .

2. In which format we can watch movies in high quality ?

3. Which is the best video format (better size and quality)?

4. Why FLV is becoming popular now-a-days ?

5. Which is the best format to compress DVD files ?

Please I need your help.. !

patkim

Cyborg Agent
BTW..What's your requirement
As different formats have different purpose and level of quality.

tkin

Back to school!!
Not so good at this.Anyway, answers are:-

1.Don't understand this one.

2.AVI,WMV,ASF,MOV,FLV(yes,no joke)

3.Best is AVI(Use either DivX or Xvid video codecs and mp3 or AC3 audio codecs for best compression ratios)

4.FLV provides maximum compressibility at a small quality loss.Also FLV can be played through Adobe Flash plugin used vastly accross the web.These movies can also be made interactive.So extreme usability and user friendlyness have made it a prime choice for content providers.

From one site:- *www.streamzilla.eu/stroboscope.html
"Q: Why is the FLV popularity increasing so fast?
A: Adobe/Macromedia has a large installed base of Flash Developers who have more knowledge of Flash than of other streaming media technologies. Website builders have huge impact on the choice of technologies. Adoption by Google and YouTube helps a lot too. There is a misconception that for viewing FLV streams, one doesn't need a Media Player and that the Installed User Base of Flash Video is >98%. The reality is that the end user needs to have Flash Player 8 or higher, which has an estimated market penetration of 60%-75% (maybe even higher in the Netherlands since we're broadband heaven), not higher but similar to the market penetration of Windows Media Player 9, iTunes (and QuickTime). Broadband users have them all!"

5.Compress DVDs to either AVI or WMV for best results.
Hope this helps.

mad_max

Journeyman
3[above post]. avi is a file container jst like vob;) and h.264 is better imho...same goes for dvd ripping,in my experience h.264 gives a better flie size:quality ratio..
and oh for ripping,auto-gk if you're gonna use XviD,DivX or nero record if you're gonna use h.264(really really easy:D)

Oh btw 10+ for the above post:) very informative

Oh btw 10+ for the above post:) very informative

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Thanks, anyway I had some issues with h.264 encoding but never with Xvid/DivX.So for beginners I recommend those.Also h.264 can be used for mov as well.Good result but needs quicktime alternative/player to play.:D

Everything you will ever need:-
Step 1.Download K-Lite codec pack from- *www.free-codecs.com/ and install it.
Step 2.Get VirtualDUB from- *www.virtualdub.org/
Step 3.Must read these Guides-
A. *www.videohelp.com/convert#4;13 -Convert between diff formats.
B. *www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup -BackUp DVD.

Also visit- *www.videohelp.com/ for more

Hope this helps.Post if any help needed.:D

Last edited:

mad_max

Journeyman
welcome:D try nero record easiest ever;):D eh btw isn't virtualdub like an editor? I have it on my pc but i only used its hex editor for some humanitarian stuff ;)

tkin

Back to school!!
welcome:D try nero record easiest ever;):D eh btw isn't virtualdub like an editor? I have it on my pc but i only used its hex editor for some humanitarian stuff ;)
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

VIRTUALDUB is like the ULTIMATE Open-Source Video editor+Converter for AVI files mainly.
Just google it and you'll be amazed by what it can do.It virtually has no limitations.Almost all movies(AVI) that are available over the net(Legal & illegal:D) are encoded with virtualdub.

Just load the movies(AVI) and be blown away.
Nero is just a bloated piece of software(Don't mind).Virtualdub does the job at half the time at half the RAM usage maintaining same quality and at no cost offering the same faetures if not more.

BUT Virtualdub is not for the total novices and for AVI files mainly.For novices and people interested in export formats other than AVI I suggest Nero recode or DivX Author.
IT'S FOR A LITTLE EXPERIANCED AND POWER USERS ONLY.

Last edited:

mad_max

Journeyman
well i did load an buggy avi and kinda impressed cuz it fixed it but bro it sure as hell aint an editor lol...err nero record is a ripper(a darn good one at that) lets not get things mixed up:) cuz as far as i can see virtualdub is a video processor(and seems to be pretty good at that)

OP
P

pottas

@tkin

WOW... Really excellent guide, Thanks .

BTW:

1. "Use either DivX or Xvid video codecs and mp3 or AC3 audio codecs for best compression ratios"

How to do ?

2. Can you explain where to use .MOV and AVI and Which is best for compressing DVD's ?

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin

WOW... Really excellent guide, Thanks .

BTW:

1. "Use either DivX or Xvid video codecs and mp3 or AC3 audio codecs for best compression ratios"

How to do ?

2. Can you explain where to use .MOV and AVI and Which is best for compressing DVD's ?
1.A>When creating DVD backups(Follow the links I posted) or file conversions first the program will require you to select a container format(eg-AVI,mov,mpg,flv etc)-Select AVI

(In virtualdub its always AVI so skip this part).

B>Then select the video codec as DivX/Xvid and audio codec as MP3/AC3 and leave other settings to default.

In virtualdub first open the file.Then click video-full processing mode-and click compression-select the codec as DivX/Xvid and click O.K.
Then select audio-full processing mode-click compression and select AC3/MP3 codec and click O.K

You can not understand the process unless you read the guides properly which I have posted.

2.Use mov for quality, sacrificing time and processing power as a lot of system resources are needed.Use AVI for speed and practicality with very little loss of quality[If you use DivX codec when exporting to AVI then select Insane quality(Select DivX codec in virtualdub and click configure) to mainten almost 100% quality.]
Its purely upto you.

HOW TO Back-Up DVD to AVI/MOV etc:-
1.First backup your DVD using- *www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/DVD-Shrink.shtml or any other software mentioned in the guides.

2.Convert the backup video files using either VirtualDUB or *www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html -can convert between all formats.

YOU MUST HAVE K-LITE CODEC PACK INSTALLED.

P.S-Google a bit to know more.You can also use premium paid softawres like
these- *www.avs4you.com/index.aspx?sct=aff&ct=regnow&cid=77225

HAPPY CONVERSION:D:D

mad_max

Journeyman
if you aren't gonna play them in a standalone player go for nero record,man it did grudge 2 in less than 25 mins and thats an almost 2 hour long movie...
i didn't like nero record before cuz it looked kinda limited but damn was i wrong(and that revelation came after going through some commercial and freeware apps):)
or the above virtualdub method(lol played around with it even more so a big thank goes out to you my bro for bringing me away from using only its hex editor:) its true that you learn something new everyday:D) but its not straight forward nor simple nor i dare say fast as nero record

Oooo 50th post:D

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Right, VDub is for Powerusers and a little bit experianced folks.
Novices go for Nero Recode or DivX author for maximum compatibility(these DivX files can be played by all DVD players that support DivX. eg-Phillips)

mad_max

Journeyman
having a prejudice towards something simply aint gonna help you man,i suggest you check out some dedicated vidder forums like doom9 and see what they have to say about nero digital avc(h.264 in other words)...
btw i said if he's only gonna play them in the pc(cuz most dvd players can't deal with mp4 container) and ya it did grudge 2 in less than 25 mins(single pass with everything else on high) and when it comes to file size and speed it'll do rounds around DivX or any other mpeg4 asp codecs.And since i used vdub today to see how gr8 it is i don't think it needs any experience when it comes to this specific task cuz you're gonna have to play around with the encoder no matter what app you use.and personally i used to prefer XviD(back when i had the illusion of nero record being too simple and only for the n00bish market).Nero's h.264 encoder is way faster and at the same bit rate it gives more quality than DivX and for me thats enough to drop my out dated ideals and move on even if its a commercial app...

OP
P

pottas

1.A>When creating DVD backups(Follow the links I posted) or file conversions first the program will require you to select a container format(eg-AVI,mov,mpg,flv etc)-Select AVI

(In virtualdub its always AVI so skip this part).

B>Then select the video codec as DivX/Xvid and audio codec as MP3/AC3 and leave other settings to default.

In virtualdub first open the file.Then click video-full processing mode-and click compression-select the codec as DivX/Xvid and click O.K.
Then select audio-full processing mode-click compression and select AC3/MP3 codec and click O.K

You can not understand the process unless you read the guides properly which I have posted.

2.Use mov for quality, sacrificing time and processing power as a lot of system resources are needed.Use AVI for speed and practicality with very little loss of quality[If you use DivX codec when exporting to AVI then select Insane quality(Select DivX codec in virtualdub and click configure) to mainten almost 100% quality.]
Its purely upto you.

HOW TO Back-Up DVD to AVI/MOV etc:-
1.First backup your DVD using- *www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/DVD-Shrink.shtml or any other software mentioned in the guides.

2.Convert the backup video files using either VirtualDUB or *www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html -can convert between all formats.

YOU MUST HAVE K-LITE CODEC PACK INSTALLED.

P.S-Google a bit to know more.You can also use premium paid softawres like
these- *www.avs4you.com/index.aspx?sct=aff&ct=regnow&cid=77225

HAPPY CONVERSION:D:D

Your explanation/guide is really EASY to understand . Once again thanks !

I am having some more doubts :smile:

1. Which version of K-Lite i have to download , standard ?
2. What are Framerate and Birate . How to use them ?

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Your explanation/guide is really EASY to understand . Once again thanks !

I am having some more doubts :smile:

1. Which version of K-Lite i have to download , standard ?
2. What are Framerate and Birate . How to use them ?
1.From the site *www.free-codecs.com/ :-

"There are three versions of the K-Lite Codec Pack: Basic, Standard and Full.
• K-Lite Codec Pack Basic contains only the most essential things. It contains everything you need to be able to play the most popular and widespread formats. It is small enough to fit on a single floppy. Also great for including on your movie CDs.
• K-Lite Codec Pack Standard contains everything you need to play all the commonly used formats. This package should be enough for the average user.
• K-Lite Codec Pack Full contains even more codecs. It also has encoding support for the various formats. This package is for power users and people who do their own encodings."(get this one)

[If you want real media support(.rm/.rmvb) get K-Lite mega Codec]

2.A.Framerate:- *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
PAL DVD Framerate(India)-25 FPS
NTSC DVD Framerates(U.S)-30FPS
Look at this- *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg
Also at- *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

25FPS is enough for Indian DVDs.You can also increase the framerate but result in a larger file with not much increase in quality.

For videos first find the framerate using G-Spot available with K-Lite and then use the value to reencode the videos.

NEVER ENCODE VIDEOS AT LOWER FRAMERATE THAN SOURCE.

B.Bit Rate:- *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate
*www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/bitrate.cfm

Basically- Higher Bitrate>Higher Quality>Larger File.
Find the bitrate using G-Spot and use it/or a higher value to encode Videos.
For DVDs stick with default value when ripping.You can increase the bitrate when reencoding the rip later.

Last edited:

cluby

Broken In
Just Download MeGUI.exe (google it)
Update it

Open any video format by clicking file>open or u can use tools>avisynth script creator
Use Video Codec: x264
Setting: HQ slower

In Place Of Audio file: set the same video file to encode
Audio Codec: nero aac (96kbps=160kbps mp3)
Video format:MKV

Click AutoEncode set the final size of video file & the format(container MKV)
Click GO.

Wait some time & u got the Best video Quality at ur desired size.

Playback use Klite codec pack & MPC

:cool:Enjoy!:cool:

tkin

Back to school!!
Just Download MeGUI.exe (google it)
Update it

Open any video format by clicking file>open or u can use tools>avisynth script creator
Use Video Codec: x264
Setting: HQ slower

In Place Of Audio file: set the same video file to encode
Audio Codec: nero aac (96kbps=160kbps mp3)
Video format:MKV

Click AutoEncode set the final size of video file & the format(container MKV)
Click GO.

Wait some time & u got the Best video Quality at ur desired size.

Playback use Klite codec pack & MPC

:cool:Enjoy!:cool:
Are you talking about Mencoder?
If so then there's a better way to use it than that.

Download SUPER from *www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Then during encoding select Mencoder(You can also use ffmpeg).
This program(SUPER) uses the Mencoder engine or the ffmpeg engine to encode depending on your choice and gives a lot of options along side the default engine options during encoding.The GUI is also very easy to use and is skinnable.The programs free and I frequently use it.

OP
P

pottas

*img222.imageshack.us/img222/2719/videocodecssg9.png *img147.imageshack.us/img147/8104/audiocodecsmd2.png

I am not finding these codecs in Virtual Dub : DivX/Xvid and MP3/AC3 .
I installed K-Lite .

tkin

Back to school!!
*img222.imageshack.us/img222/2719/videocodecssg9.png *img147.imageshack.us/img147/8104/audiocodecsmd2.png

I am not finding these codecs in Virtual Dub : DivX/Xvid and MP3/AC3 .
I installed K-Lite .
'
They are right there in front of your eyes.:rolleyes:

DivX codec is the 3rd codec in the left image titled-"DivX 6.8.4 Codec(2 Logical CPUs)"
XviD are the last two.(Use any one)

AC3 is the 2nd codec in the right image titled-"AC3 ACM Codec."
MP3 is the 9th and 12th codec titled-"Lame Mp3" and "MPEG Layer-3"(Use any one, although Lame is better)

P.S-DivX/XviD are two different codecs used seperately-DivX and XviD(Both are O.K but DivX a little better)
AC3/MP3 are also two different codecs used seperatly-AC3 ACM and MP3(Both are O.K but MP3 is a bit faster, again AC3 can support more channels than MP3-eg-5.1 channel)

While encoding, for video pick any one between DivX and XviD and for audio pick either AC3 or MP3.(eg-DivX and MP3 or Xvid and AC3 or any other combination)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom