Where to get Ubuntu DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
In place of adding more to the already lengthy post, I am creating a new thread with new related questions. Where can I get Ubuntu DVD? if it has all the needed s/w in the repositiory (Universe?). And that brings another question. That may serve for my laptop with the Combo drive, whast about other systems with plain jane CD drive? If the contents of DVD can be copied to multiple DVDs, would that work?

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
You!!!

Hey man @Aijaz, have you got no other work than keep starting new threads and then running away from those threads in fear of being shouted at???

The answers to all ur questions..

Aijaz Akhtar said:
Where can I get Ubuntu DVD?
Open your Eyes, and look
You can download it from their site in downloads page , there choose one mirror and in the box below, there is a huge list of what types of Downloads including DVDs, though DVDs come only in Torrents...

Aijaz Akhtar said:
if it has all the needed s/w in the repositiory (Universe?).
The contents of the DVD are here

Here is an interesting discussion on the Ubuntu DVD contents

Aijaz Akhtar said:
whast about other systems with plain jane CD drive?
You obviously must use an Ubuntu CD installation and upgrade using the Internet!!! (or get newer pkgs as well)

Aijaz Akhtar said:
If the contents of DVD can be copied to multiple DVDs, would that work?
What do you mean by "copying all the contents of DVD into multiple DVDs" ???
Do u mean copying into multiple-CDs??
If yes, it might work if the debs were given as such in the DVDs and you knew where to find them..

Hope this satisfies you!!!

And please stop creating threads one after another in just because you want to!!!
We do not hold any contest for most threads started!!!

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Aijaz Akhtar said:
Where can I get Ubuntu DVD?
Ubuntu DVD is only available in the form of torrents because of the load a single server will face due to large number of simultaneous downloads. You need a torrent client and fast internet connection for building the DVD. I have been planning to build the DVD at my place for long. And now it seems i'll have to start.

Aijaz Akhtar said:
if it has all the needed s/w in the repositiory (Universe?). And that brings another question.
The DVD has everything that Ubuntu project offers. You can have a quick look at the DVD contents here:
*packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/
or here:
*archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/

Aijaz Akhtar said:
That may serve for my laptop with the Combo drive, whast about other systems with plain jane CD drive? If the contents of DVD can be copied to multiple DVDs, would that work?
Unfortunately the DVD cannot be converted into multiple CDs. But alternatively you can make an ISO image of the DVD on the computer that has a DVD drive and then copy the ISO image to the other computer via network. Then you can mount the DVD via loopback filesystem and use the DVD as an internet-like mirror. I'll help you get this setup running once you manage to get this far.

OP
A

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
And to add again (sorry for so many additions and new threads lately), I have all the time been complaining about the software that do not need internet connection, and now downloading the whole DVD!!! Can't a member here using or having it share with others or mail. The charges would be borne by me. OK??

kartik_mistry

Broken In
I don't think that One DVD contains whole Ubuntu Repositories! One friend download whole thing and it is around 15 GB, so like Debian Sarge it will be 2/3 DVDs thing!

cryptid

Journeyman
I dint know that ubuntu comes on DVD coz when i ordered for it online it never gave an option of DVD's

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Get it from their download page.By the way your other post says ubuntu sucks.Then why want the dvd :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom