Where is windows 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delpiero

Journeyman
I have two OS, win98 on c: and XP on d:. I changed the msconfig.sys in c: . I don't remember what i did. And after doing that i cannot boot win98 , i get error mesage which say that himes.sys and some other files does not exists . Only XP is accessable. What can i do to get back to windows 98. I cannot find the msconfig.sys through XP either. Please help.

shyam911

Journeyman
This could work. boot up using your win98 boot floppy and from a:\ type this "a:\sys c:" assuming your win98 was installed in c drive. you will get a message saying "System Transfered"

Hope this helps

bharathbala2003

why need title?
@deli.. himem.sys?? :?

Himem.sys missing or corrupt??

This issue can be caused by any of the following possibilities:
The file himem.sys is corrupt or missing
Physical memory issue

if its missing or courrupted jus copy it back.. to check this if u have a bootable floopy of 98 use it to boot.. if system boots properly jus copy the file

you are running Windows 98 rite..

copy himem.sys c:\windows <press enter>

If when typing any of the above commands you receive a prompt that the file already exists ensure to overwrite it.

Reboot the computer, if the issue continues to occur verify that the config.sys is properly setup. The line himem.sys should read:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

or

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS

Physical memory issue

If when booting from a known working bootable diskette you encounter a himem.sys error it is likely that your computer has a physical memory or related hardware issue causing this error. Because this could be a physical defect we recommend that you contact the computer manufacturer, take the computer into a local service center or replace memory / motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom