Where is the OS directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnpandya

Broken In
In windows we have "Windows" as the operating system folder, where is that in Linux? If it's not a single directory, then which are the important folders?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
The GNU/Linux Operating system does not use a single folder as a dump ground Here is a list of various directories and their contents...
/boot : the linux kernel and boot loader configuration files
/usr : Program files
/etc : Configuration files
/var : Mail, print web spool files
/tmp : temp directory
/home : Home directories of various users
/dev : Device files corresponding to various peripherals of your comp. (hard disk, printer, mouse, modem)
/mnt : Devices mounted onto OS to increase storage space
/lost+found : Orphan files are moved here
/root : Root's home directory
/proc : Process information pseudo filesystem.
/bin : various console utilities and apps
/sbin : system administration utilities
/lib : Shared Library files for your operating system.

Apart from these, you also have a swap partition that stores data swapped by the linux kernel.

As you can see, /etc is roughly equivalent to your windows registry. /usr can be called as Program Files directory... /boot & /lib can be called as \Windows\System32 directory. Contents of /mnt can be thought of as various drives in windows.

OP
J

jnpandya

Broken In
Thanks a lot GNUrag!

Actually yours was the fastest answer I have ever got on this forum! Check out the time of the both the posts. When I saw the it first, it was not this much elaborate though it was good enough to understand the structure of the OS. Then I think you might have updated it.

Could not respond as quickly as you due to down internet link. But any way, thanks again for the details.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
jnpandya said:
When I saw the it first, it was not this much elaborate though it was good enough to understand the structure of the OS. Then I think you might have updated it.
Yeah... i'd written only answer for what u asked... but later i added info for other directories...

Do you want to know more about Linux filesystems and its associated directories??? I'll add more...

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
GNUrag said:
The GNU/Linux Operating system does not use a single folder as a dump ground Here is a list of various directories and their contents...
/boot : the linux kernel and boot loader configuration files
/usr : Program files
/etc : Configuration files
/var : Mail, print web spool files
/tmp : temp directory
/home : Home directories of various users
/dev : Device files corresponding to various peripherals of your comp. (hard disk, printer, mouse, modem)
/mnt : Devices mounted onto OS to increase storage space
/lost+found : Orphan files are moved here
/root : Root's home directory
/proc : Process information pseudo filesystem.
/bin : various console utilities and apps
/sbin : system administration utilities
/lib : Shared Library files for your operating system.

Apart from these, you also have a swap partition that stores data swapped by the linux kernel.

As you can see, /etc is roughly equivalent to your windows registry. /usr can be called as Program Files directory... /boot & /lib can be called as \Windows\System32 directory. Contents of /mnt can be thought of as various drives in windows.

----------
gr8 m8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom