Where can get retail CD of WINDOWS XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav

In the zone
I want the image or the retail version of cd of Windows XP professional SP2.

I don't need that serial no. as i got that with my laptop. I am going to format my computer,i need a original cd.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
If you have purchased the Windows XP separetlly from MS, then you may get in touch with Micrsoft support to request them for a Replacement disk...

if you have one branded Computer (Laptop/Desktop) with pre-installed Windows (genuine off course) then its the responibility of your Vendor, so please get in touch with your System builder to request him to provide one Installation Media...

:)

vish786

"The Gentleman"
u better create a drive image for time being if u dont wanna lose the original copy, if by chance u dont get a installation media from vendor like cheeta said.

Minimalistix

I'm back!
Well almost all laptop vendors are now providing pre-installed windows os but without the installation cd. If they didn't provide it at the time of sale I doubt they are gonna give it now!

I think the retail price does include the cost of os. Maybe they charge a bit less but they do not provide the installation cd. Is it legal to do?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Here is MS Policy, if you have purchased OEM / Retail from a local software vendor, and have lost the Installation Media you may get in touch with Microsoft Connect...

One is expected to be registered to MS with the copy of his Windows...

One can call MS, at these Numbers for Replacement media...

1800 102 1100 (Toll Free number – Accessible from anywhere in India from Airtel land line and mobile phone)

1800 111100 (Toll Free number – Accessible from 36 cities in India from MTNL/BSNL landline)

+91 80 40103000 (Toll number – Accessible from anywhere in the world from any telecom)

the replacement takes MAX of 90 days.... usually lot quicker... :)

But if the Windows copy came pre-installed then one needs to contact his system builder (like HP/IBM/Dell)....

P.S. The replacement disk may not be free :| one may be charged for the same...

OP
sourav

sourav

In the zone
azzu said:
btw saurav ur little non-active on these forum these days

sorry for this, my class x 1st term exams are going to start in few days, i am getting to use internet for FEW MINUTES.

@cheeta

i have a IBM Laptop G41. It was pre-installed with the oem os. it is in warranty upto 2 years left. In this month my brother got it formatted as it was running very slow.

Do you think I should call the vendor for installation media or they will install win xp again on that?

it has the product key of windows xp professional label pasted at its back

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Do you think I should call the vendor for installation media or they will install win xp again on that?

it has the product key of windows xp professional label pasted at its back

You are not the 1st to face the issue... there are many who face the same issue... I can comment on Microsoft Retail / OEM where as what you have came from System Builders installation !!!

There you have to contact your vendor... no other official way... ask for a installation media, most likelly installation media would be chargeble...

un-officially, as you have the product key, so just ask any frnd of yours who has a OEM Windows installation CD, install from that that CD where as use your given product key... !!!

Note, you may only use OEM Installation Media as volume / Retail / corporate disk wont work with your CD Key... !!!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
sourav said:
what should i do, i have installed a pirated version of win xp pro on that lappy.

:( :(

Contact IBM, request them to provide a replacement installation media... !!! once you receive immidiatelly make a format of the OS drive and do a clean installation of the Windows XP Home edition you have !!!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom