Where are my RAMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashis

In the zone
One of my Friend uses a Pentium IV machine.
He has 128 MB of RAM installed but it only shows 96 MB. Where did rest of it go?

Can any one help him! :rolleyes:

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
Not only Via chipsets, but others also consume some RAM for video display and other processes, running there.

nishant_nms said:
every board having onboard graphis

I do agree that every board has graphics but consuming so much RAM is seen in boards of Via Chipset I don't know what other processes and other chipsets n2casey is talking.

n2casey

@ aakash_mishra

As nishant_nms has told, every board consumes RAM for video display. e.g. Intel chipsets also consumes RAM for video display.

Just press, Ctrl + Alt + Del and then select Processes tab. There u can know the processes running in background, and CPU Uses & RAM consumed by them.

n2casey said:
@ aakash_mishra

As nishant_nms has told, every board consumes RAM for video display. e.g. Intel chipsets also consumes RAM for video display.

Just press, Ctrl + Alt + Del and then select Processes tab. There u can know the processes running in background, and CPU Uses & RAM consumed by them.

hey I know yaar that every board board consumes RAM for video display but Via consumption of RAM is more than intel. Correct me if I am wrong.

But Ctrl + Alt + Del and then select Processes tab wonn't show you RAM consumed for video display

OP
Ashis

Ashis

In the zone
I Understand that system has captured some of its RAM.
But 32 MB of RAM from 128 is too much to take & I need to recover some of it....
Can anyone tell me where in the BIOS I can set it correct?

Press Del when computer starts

In BIOS goto Advance chipset features and press Enter
Find VGA Share Memory Size and press Enter a pop up will appear which will ask you to choose options from 8MB, 16MB, 32MB or to disable memory sharing.

Disabling memory sharing won't give good display and for playing games atleast 16MB is suggested.

:cool:

n2casey

aakash_mishra said:
But Ctrl + Alt + Del and then select Processes tab wonn't show you RAM consumed for video display

Task Manager will show details for the processes which r consuming RAM & CPU.

n2casey said:

Just read what I was saying. I told about processes but not about Video Display, in Task Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom