whenever i start windows it asks me to click a user account

Status
Not open for further replies.

viruses

Journeyman
whenever i start windows it asks me to click a user account and there is only my account because only i use my pc,how can i solve this problem
i want it to start without clicking my name

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Type:

control userpasswords2

in RUN dialog box and uncheck the checkbox saying:

Users must enter a username & password to use this computer.

legolas

Padawan
Code:
1) Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2. This is a shortcut instead of having to click on Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts.

2) Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" check box. Click Apply.

3) Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.

4) Click OK again and you're all done.

if u dont hav pass u wudnt need the 3rd step.

/legolas

shakti

Journeyman
BYPASS AUTOLOGON

This Registry tweak works with all Windows NT 4.0, 2000 and XP releases.
If you own the Windows computer, have Administrator privileges, work/play in a single-user/stand-alone environment, and would like to speed up the bootup process, you can automate the way the OS handles the password dialog box, bypassing the mandatory Ctrl-Alt-Del login prompt.
CAUTION: This will affect system security, leaving your computer unprotected!
Start by BACKING UP your Registry files!

Then run Regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

In the right hand pane look for the "AutoAdminLogon", "AutoLogonCount" {DWORD [REG_DWORD] Value}, "DefaultDomainName", "DefaultUserName" and "DefaultPassword" String [REG_SZ] Values.
Highlight "AutoAdminLogon" -> right-click on it -> select Modify -> change its value to 1 -> click OK.
Highlight "AutoLogonCount" -> right-click on it -> select Modify -> check the Decimal box -> change its value to 4294967295 (maximum allowed) -> click OK. This is MANDATORY to be able to take advantage of the auto login feature more than once. [4294967295 times should be plenty. :)]
Now highlight "DefaultUserName" -> right-click on it -> select Modify -> change the text to match your UserName (default is "Administrator" if you haven't changed it) -> click OK.
Repeat same steps for "DefaultPassword". [Choose your Password wisely! :)]
If you are not logging into or do not have a (Network) Domain account, you can leave the "DefaultDomainName" String Value empty, or delete it altogether.
If any of these Strings do not exist, you need to create them: right-click on an empty spot in the Regedit right hand pane -> select New -> String or DWORD Value -> assign it one of the names above -> press Enter -> right-click on it -> type in the appropriate text string (as described above) -> click OK -> restart Windows when done.

If you are unwilling to "mess" with your Registry, you can also achieve this by using one of these Registry tweaking tools:

ALL WinNT4/2000/XP users: log on as Administrator -> click Start -> Run... -> type (case insensitive):
control userpasswords2

Hit Enter or click OK -> make sure there is NO check mark beside Users -> enter the User Name and Password you wish -> click Apply/OK/Yes until all following dialog boxes are closed -> restart Windows.

ALL WinNT4/2000/XP users: get XQ|DC X-Setup Pro 6.6, the best Registry and System tweaker ever created [freeware for personal use].
Install X-Setup -> start the main UI -> Network -> Auto Login -> Windows NT/2K/XP -> General + Settings plug-ins -> enable/fill in all appropriate Auto login boxes -> Apply changes -> close X-Setup -> restart Windows.

WinNT4/2000 users ONLY: get the MS TweakUI Power Toy for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME + MS IE 4/5/6 [110 KB, free, unsupported].
Run the executable you downloaded from URL above -> right-click on TweakUI.inf in Windows Explorer -> select Install -> open Control Panel -> select TweakUI -> click the Logon tab -> check the "Log on automatically at system startup" box -> type a User Name and a Password -> click OK/Apply -> close TweakUI -> restart Windows.

WinXP users ONLY: get the MS TweakUI Power Toy for Windows XP + MS IE 6 [147 KB, free, unsupported].
Install TweakUI by running the executable you downloaded from URL above -> run TweakUI -> scroll down to the Logon section -> set the default User Name and Password you want to use -> click OK/Apply -> close TweakUI -> restart Windows.
Optionally, if you need to log on into a NetWare Domain/Network, go to (using Regedit):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Novell\NWGINA\Login

In the right hand pane look for the "NetWareAutoAdminLogon", "DefaultNetWareUserName" and "DefaultNetWarePassword" String Values.
Repeat the same operations above for these entries: type 1 in the "NetWareAutoAdminLogon" box, and respectively your NetWare UserName and Password. Restart Windows when done.

BEWARE that all these Password strings are kept in the Registry as plain text: unencrypted! Therefore anybody with access to your computer, who knows how to change the Registry [this includes you now :)], CAN alter/delete them at will!

UPDATE: "There is another way to accomplish the same task without modifying the Registry: Start menu -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Users and Passwords. Here you will find the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option. When this is checked the user must enter a user name and password every time to access the computer. If unchecked the user will be required to enter a user name and password only once after which the computer will use this as the default and automatically log on for you."
[Thank you Al!]

dreams

Gracias Senor
I first had this problem.. but the user accnt page shows up.. i need to click on my username and voila it goes in.. then wat i did was some simple steps..

Juz goto control panel - user accounts..

u can c many accounts.. juz disable all accnts except ur active accnt.. if u hv .NET installed then thr wil b more accounts.. so juz disable all.. and restart and it wil straightly go to ur desktop..

it workd 4 me.. TIA

OP
V

viruses

Journeyman
thanks vishal gupta my problem is solved
i just type the command in the run and then unchecked the box thats all
and again thanks all for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom