Whats the best way to convert .FLV to .AVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Hi Guys,

I need to convert my videos in .FLV to .AVI so that I can burn them to Disk and play them on my DVD player. I found some useful tools which can perform the job for me like Super and WinFF but I am little concerned about the loss of quality on the Video's. Can anyone guide me to the best way of converting .FLV to .AVI without loss in quality ? Are these tools good enough or should I use some other tool ?

OP
AshishSharma

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
VideoEditingIndia said:
Are you sure your FLV has high quality video? Whats the size of it?

Yes the quality is good if not excellent it's like a 230 MB file to 42 minutes of Video.

On Windows there exists a GUI frontend to it called Media Coder

Is media coder/ mencoder the best tool for conversion ?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
First probe the video with GSpot.
See the audio and video bitrate and if audio is stereo or mono. No point using higher rates.
Use SUPER in Windows OR ffmpeg (command line) or KVideoEncoder (GUI) in Linux.

praka123

left this forum longback
^there are other gui's for ffmpeg in Linux without qt/kde dependency.but at this time cant recollect as am not using.afair tovid?,any2dvd,devede etc.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
DeVeDe uses transcode. I used to use ffmpeg commandline to convert flv to mpeg4. Now I use KVideoEncoder (mencoder frontend).

VideoEditingIndia

www.VideoEditingIndia.com
Yes the quality is good if not excellent it's like a 230 MB file to 42 minutes of Video.

230MB for 42 minutes is not fair unless its encoded with B-Frames. Do you know the CODEC and Bitrate used in that FLV?

OP
AshishSharma

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
I tried opening the file with GSpot and it's giving me lot of information which makes no sense to me ... and I can't figure out how to get the information out to a text file or other format for sharing.... So here's a screenshot of the information.

*tinypic.us/out.php/t4011_gspot.jpg

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I have marked and re uploaded your image :)

*img132.imageshack.us/img132/9051/gspoteq4.th.jpg

1. Tells you the audio info of your file
2. Tells you the Video info of your file

Now lets see 1. Audio:
3. Tells you what codec has been used to encode the audio, in this case, mpeg-1 layer-3 or what you know as mp3
4. Tells you the sampling frequency, 44100 Hz, the bit rate, 128 kbps, and the type of production, joint stereo in this case

Now coming to 2. Video
5. Tells you the video codec used, flash video in this case
6. Tells you the length of the video
7. Tells you the bitrate of the video, 699 in this case
8. Fps or frames per second, 23.979 in this case
9. The dimensions or width and height of the video

Try to match all these parameters when you do a conversion. For example the bitrate of the video is 699. No point of encoding XviD at 1000 or 1500, you're wasting your time. FPS is 23.979. If you reduce it too much the video will become jerky

VideoEditingIndia

www.VideoEditingIndia.com
Its basically Sorenson Video at 699kbps. So theoretically you cant expect good quality Video, after conversion. But here are some tips:

1. Do not try to increase the framesize to make it compatible with DVD standard.
2. Avoid changing or pulling the framerate, Let it be 23.97
3. Do not apply any processing on the video

I recommend you to use Total Video Coverter or WinAVI for convertion, both are good for beginners. If you are not a beginner try Cinemacraft or Cleaner XL.

OP
AshishSharma

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Thanks a ton for the help guys ... learnt something new.

I'll try to use the tools recommended and keep the suggestions in mind.

Thanks again for such prompt help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom