What will happen if....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilhead_satish

In the zone
I have Windows XP installed on one Partition and SuSE Personal Edition on the other. What will happen if I delete the SuSE partition. I mean will it hamper the working of Windows. And oh yeah suggest me some nice free Partition Manager.

luckyrocker

Broken In
It really depends on how u have installed linux on ur system, if you use GRUB or LILO.

There are two scenarios that can happen when you delete your Suse partition.
1) You delete the partition, restart, boot normally into windows.
2) You delete the partition, restart and windows won't boot becoz u screwed ur MBR.
Scenario 2 is not as bad as it sounds as there is a fix for this, but u need the WinXp Disc and the administrator password.

I actually tried this with my system. I had win 2k on one partition and Red Hat on the other. I just deleted the Red Hat partition thinking it wouldn't make any difference. When i deleted the Red Hat partition my computer wouldn't boot at all, but it took 5 mins to fix it.

If you delete your Suse partition and in the process screw ur MBR just

:arrow: boot from ur WinXp disc,
:arrow: choose to repair an existing WinXp installation,
:arrow: go to the repair console,
:arrow: enter the admintrator username and password,
:arrow: type help to display a list of files you can run,
:arrow: run fixboot.exe,
:arrow: run fixmbr.exe,
:arrow: quit the console,
:arrow: restart.
and you should boot into windows normally.

luckyrocker

suhas_sm

Journeyman
u installed Grub in ur MBR which did overwrite ur mbr n thats the reason u couldnt boot in windows ............ fixboot n fixmbr thru recovery console shuld work :)

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
theraven said:
@devilhead_satish dude thats blade_runner's avatar
change it before he sees it

I already asked him to. Seems like he cant come up with sumthng original !! :lol: Thrives on rips frm other ppls avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom