What upgrades should I make to my config? Budget 10K

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I have a budget of 10-11K for upgrades to my PC.
My PC is 2.5 years old.Here's my config :-
P4 2.0 Northwood core
VIA 845 chipset mobo
512 MB RAM @ 333MHz + 256MB RAM @ 266MHz
Benq DW 1650 DVD writer
LG CD-RW
350W SMPS, can't remember which company

I do want to buy one graphics card. Which one should I go for? And if I sell my current RAM, how much will I get approx? 512MB RAM module was bought in March this year and the other one was bought with the PC. I wish to go in for a new 1GB RAM module. If that won't fit me I will leave the 512 one as it is and add one more 512MB one.
And will my SMPS handle the load or will I need a new one.
My main purpose of buying a graphics card is for XGL(for those who don't know, it's a 3D desktop for Linux, like Aero for Vista) and a few linux games.
I got suggestion for 6600GT and 6200GT. I don't have much idea of graphics card please give me some features of the card you'll recommend.
Also, please give me some site where I can find comparision of features of different graphics card and some site for latest prices of the cards in Mumbai, though I will check it up in Lamington Road tomorrow or day after.

EDIT :- It should be a AGP card as my mobo only supports AGP and yes there's an AGP slot there in my mobo.

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Hey,
Go get a 865 based mobo for 3.5k-4k.........and 512X2 ram sticks.........
865 supports dual channel.........
For the graphics card get a 6200...no GT model is available...there is one TC that is Turbo Cache...but its quite useless....

Get 6200 for 2.5k or 6600 for 3.5k...6600GT is round 6k-6.5k....
If u get a 6200 u r old SMPS might be able to take the load....but it surely won't can take the load of a 6600GT......

For SMPS a normal VIP will do with 400 watts and with 20A across +12v rail.....

homiyar

Right off the assembly line
The cheapest solution is that you buy another Hard Disk. That will improve your system performance.

OP
M

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
homiyar said:
The cheapest solution is that you buy another Hard Disk. That will improve your system performance.
And how will that be? I can't see in anyway that hard disk can improve the performance.
I will let my current 40GB hard disk be as it is, I don't see any use in buying a bigger one for now.

Any other suggestions? I will be visiting some shops tomorrow so if I have more idea, I can search for options. I am tending more towards buying a graphics card for 8K or so. A new SMPS for whatever it costs and a 512MB RAM module. So, please suggest a graphics card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom