What Type of File/Folder is this ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

k_mridul

Broken In
I have 80 GB HD, 4 Partions, WinXp+SP2 (on C)

Problem is that there is a Directory Named "FOUND.000" in two Partitions (D and E) having Files with extention ".CHK" occupying abt 500 MB each.

My questions are :-
1. What Type of Files/Folders is this ?
2. What does these Files/Folders mean ?
2. Why they have been created ?
3. Is it safe to remove them ?

q3_abhi

Youngling
Use System Mechanic OR Find Junk Files 2 remove ur junk files.If it removes ur.CKH files, Consider them as useless.Many a times it removes them.

rajas

In the zone
"found.000" files are normally created by Windows' chkdsk utility when it finds lost clusters, cross-linked file data, etc.
Check here for some more info:

Recovering Lost Clusters on FAT Volumes

anandk

Distinguished Member
visit *www.microsoft.com/resources/docume...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_kbnn.asp

be careful b4 deleting, other programs may also generate *.chk. :)

OP
k_mridul

k_mridul

Broken In
Thankyou very Much to all of you gr8 techies.

Here goes one more.......

this time its "thumbs.db", this file exists in various folders in different sizes.

1. What type of file this is ?
2. Why these files are created (automatically), even after deleting ?

swatkat

Technomancer
The thumbs.db file is generated by the Windows operating system. It is a database file containing the small images displayed when you view a folder in "thumbnail" view (as opposed to tile, icon, list, or detail view). No harm is done by deleting thumbs.db files
here

OP
k_mridul

k_mridul

Broken In
Thankyou Swatkat.

Here goes two more.....

This time its "folder.htt" and "desktop.ini".
these files, also, reside in many folders on my HD.

Same Old Ques:-
1. What type of file this is ?
2. Why these files are created (automatically), even after deleting ?

anandk

Distinguished Member
reg thumbs.db, visit tutorial section :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22151&highlight=

Folder.htt is a HyperText Template file containing HTML code that individually or globally customizes the display of folder contents when Internet Explorer 4.0x (IE) is installed. The default Folder.htt file contains script to access and display information from the FileList control, examples of how to handle folder window resizing, and how to use the Thumbnail Viewer control.
*support.microsoft.com/?kbid=182000

Desktop.ini is used to tell Windows how to display a folder. For example, enabling Thumbnail view creates a desktop.ini file in that folder which amongst other things, tells Windows to add an extra item to the View menu for that folder. Desktop.ini files are also used when you customize folders, change their icons etc.
*msdn.microsoft.com/library/default...hell_basics/shell_basics_extending/custom.asp

u can remove thumbs file, IF YOU DONT use thumnail option frequently, but i dont think u shud remove folder or desktop file. :)

OP
k_mridul

k_mridul

Broken In
Yesterday i saw a strange file, in all my partitions, having filename '________' (8 underscores) and no extension and size was 0KB.

I was very confused to see the same file on each partition's root directory, i did a virus scan of it but NAV and bitdefender found it clean. so i deleted them all.

but being curious i am posting this.

Do any one know what type of file is it ???
and why(or how) they have been created on each partition's root directory??

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Oh yeah .. One of my friend also had that folder .. Some game or Ghostgum created it .. I dont remember the game's name though .. But those are harmless folders and you can delete them ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom