What really slows Windows down !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
here is a study which identified some of the major culprits which slowed down r pc's. ofcourse, some of them may b considered as necessary evils, but the conclusions r worth reading. the results have been listed below :

Security Suites :
Norton InternetSecurity 2007
Norton InternetSecurity 2006
ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
Nod32 version2.5
Microsoft Windows Live OneCare
avast! 4.7 Home

Anti-virus :
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8
Norton Antivirus 2002 (OEM)
AVG 7.1 Free
Panda Antivirus 2007
Trend Micro PC-cillin AV 2006

Anti-Spyware & Firewalls :
WebRoot Spy Sweeper
Windows Defender
Lavasoft Ad-Aware Pro
ZoneAlarm 6.5 Free

Browsers :
Firefox 1.5.0.7
Opera 9.01
Internet Explorer 7 RC1
Maxthon 1.5.6 (on IE6)

there is more at
*www.thepcspy.com/articles/other/what_really_slows_windows_down/4

some results may seem contrary to r experiences, but detailed figures/statistics are given here
*www.thepcspy.com/articles/other/what_really_slows_windows_down/5

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
In Windows O.S there are too many programs to start up + the O.S itself loads slowly!!
Linux can boot twice as fast as Windows!! Try Ubuntu 6.06. You'll agree. No need
for antispyware, antivirus, security updates etc., !!!

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
sometimes i feel running a security suite on a personal computer is like having the bomb squad inspect a suspicious package inside the house right next to you :D

thats y i only use it ven connecting to the net. though i must say that KIS is really light !

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Well Dont u feel the Answer is Windows it Self??

because windows is so vornerable to Security threats we are forced to use the AVS or Security suites... :(

Windows is just an OS... as we all know OS is just present in our system to run the software what we need... but here with Windows OS run computer 65 - 75 % of Normal computer resources is needed just to run the windows it self :(

right now few Linux run desktops are also looked to me slow... but i have my smile with MAC systems... its really amezing to see how a MAC OS just pulls of beuty Grfx effects with so little system resourcse consumtion... :|

I belive the answer to the question,

Anandk said:
What really slows Windows down !?

is

Windows it self....

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^
when i used windows i used to format every month and then my hdd was kaput, so i swicthed to linux and i am happy with it. but i still have windows on my pc but i dont use it

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
yes there is this argument : windows is full of security holes.

the same is/was being said about ie. firefox was being touted as being being secure ! till a lot of threads started getting posted all over the net about several critical security vulnerabilies !

the point is, hackers/viruswriters prefer to target os/sw which are popular, as this gets them more publicity (in their world). who would want to find holes in an obscure sw, where it could hurt few ??? thats y widows get hammered at, with regularity :)

firefox being NOW targeted is a sure-shot sign of its growing popularity.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Duhhhhhhh.....wth is this...Does it mean i shud stop using FF,Opera,NOD32 and others..

Edited Batty: Offensive language removed. User put on warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
Acc. to me the speed of the PC depends on the space in the drive in which ur windows XP is installed, and the speed of the PC

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
anandk said:
sometimes i feel running a security suite on a personal computer is like having the bomb squad inspect a suspicious package inside the house right next to you :D

thats y i only use it ven connecting to the net. though i must say that KIS is really light !

I think these programs slowdown XP only if u don't have sufficient RAM. I'm using Avast 4.7, Opera 9.01 and also a free firewall (Got from Digit CD). My computer works fine, I never find it running slow. And I have 320 Mb of Physical RAM, 64 MB being shared for graphics. I think only viruses and spywares slow down your computer, Try to get rid of them!!!

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
paul_007 said:
OMG even firefox is in the list :))

here is the very latest :

Hackers claim zero-day flaw in Firefox

The open-source Firefox Web browser is critically flawed in the way it handles JavaScript, two hackers said Saturday afternoon.

*news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6121608.html?tag=nl.e550

FIREFOX HAS NOW TRULY ARRIVED !!! :D

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
Now I dont think Avast slows down windows. I myself have Avast 4.7 and my boot up time is exactly 3 seconds. So what do you think???

S

sariq

+1
earlier i have used Norton Internet security, it was very resource hungry. now i am using avast 4.7 Home edition, it has negligible effect on speed.

Tanmay

Journeyman
Every product from Norton is a Resource Hog !! Next comes the usual Messengers and Firewalls and all.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
My advice is if u are sure of what u r doing, what u r copying, what u r downloading has no Viruses(probably) then disable Resident Scanner/Realtime scanner of antivirus.. Use scanner only periodically..say once in a week...I use AVAST and disbled it. But have scan every file instantly after downloading... So till now I havent faced any Virus problem...The thing is that one must know how to handle the data properly... installing an antivirus wont suffice.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Hard drives without proper Defragmentation also slows down PC considerably. Windows built-in defragmenter is not perfect in 100% defragmentation. It also consumes more system resources. Use Diskeeper. It does not consume much system resources. This will improve your system performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom