Status
Not open for further replies.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
all right. i ve been through with all the discourses that i must know my languages(read: syntax!) right if i want to become an expert programmer.
fine i ve gone through loads of C ,C++ material on the net not to forget the 800 pages books like complete reference,primer,data structures for two years! and what do i know?only the syntax! and the rules.
Can one of you pros guide me what to read next. as in if i wanna develop real apps. im interested in internet programming and encryption. i did do a lot of research on it like going through those tuts on the net and dint understand a thing.rfc's?did that.assembly?ditto.
enlighten me please!
wheres the missing link!

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
how old are u ? in school or college ? course ?
ur enthusiasm and effort is really gr8 . i aint into software but u could try these . try joining ur local linux group/forum or chapter . they real helpful lot .

in chennai u have a cryptography summer course at
Chennai Mathematical Institute
*www.cmi.ac.in/
and these courses at anna university
*www.annauniv.edu/rcc/courses.html

hope these help . keep the rush to learn going man . all the best .

tuxfan

Technomancer
My suggestion. You have already read enough. Reading more will only give you knowledge (which you already seem to have enough). Start with practical programming. That will provide you the missing link i.e. experience. Have you ever thought about taking up a job in some software company? Prepare a bio-data at the earliest.

OP
L

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
how old are u ? in school or college ? course ?

im in my 12th.yea its still school for me. im doin science and we do stuff in c and c++.thanks for your advise klinux. i did find a linux group -BLUG in bangalore and i hope it helps

Start with practical programming

exactly what im thinkin . but can you be more specific.where do i start ? it would be great if someone(anyone!) could name a few books which dive right into the practical possibilities rather than go through all those syntax material again!

Why dont u mail Digit ????

sounds good!
but my score is bad on those last page quizes!gotta better on em!

seriously guys. help me! i aint askin you to turn me into a pro. just tell me where to head next!show me the map!

thanks all of you!

tuxfan

Technomancer
If you want to start with practical programing, think of something that could be useful to people. For example, although there may be hundreds of calculators and calendars out there, you can start by making one in the preferred language. Slowly switch over to a PIM and then something more. How good are you in the things that you already know? Based on that, one can suggest some softwares that you can make. You are as of now too young for a job, but you surely can try for part time free lancing jobs if you have spare time.

And don't worry about the last page scores. They are not too important anyway in what you plan to do i.e. programming.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
All a programmer knows is syntax. You must have imagination. Thats waht u need next. Try reffering Hardware intreaction also if u wanna build some good quality softwares. I mean interrepts..

HEY PSSST...... (A SECRET)::::::

If u r not satisfied try downloading open source programmes and debugging it, compiling it etc. It is a good way to study more. If u are more adventures try reverse enginerring great programmes. It is not against law unless u distribute it. Even our Bill Gates learned programming by reverse engeniering programes ( to be plane hacking) ;-)

tuxfan

Technomancer
sujithom said:
f u r not satisfied try downloading open source programmes and debugging it, compiling it etc. It is a good way to study more. If u are more adventures try reverse enginerring great programmes. It is not against law unless u distribute it. Even our Bill Gates learned programming by reverse engeniering programes ( to be plane hacking)
True, very true. That is one thing that I missed out. Study the source code of open source softwares. That could teach you a lot of things. :)

OP
L

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
yeah u guys are right . i ll do that now. rip apart some programs and also gotta learn unix. high time. i have red hat installed on my pc but never used it much. one of my friend also showed me the flexibility unix offers by gettin the root password! windows hides a lot.
thanks a lot u fellas

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
NOTE : if ur marks are really good and u r confident abt ur 12th exams , ignore this :)

not meant to discourage . ur interest in programming is really good . But since ur in 12th right now and have xams in another couple of months , i think u should try the programming stuff in ur spare time . it can be really addictive and hard to let go at times , even for kids who study gr8 . just think , concentrate on ur exams for few more months and later u can have 4 years to learn programming in and out .

but ask anyone here and most would agree that getting into a good college and course is also important for ur career . good college doesnt make a good programmer out of u , but when u are the best and want to join the best company or so , it matters .

which group have u taken in 12th anyways MPC ? once u get gr8 marks , which i am sure u will , and finished writing countless entrance tests , u will have plenty of time till admission to pursue ur interests in programming . i know this is the last place u thought u would get advice to go and study , but just think abt the situation and decide . ok kiddo ?

OP
L

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
thanks a lot for your concern man. thanks all you guys for the tips. i think we should have a programming forum out here. should nt we?

pag_floyd

Broken In
pursue B.Tech in CS or IT from any IIT or IIIT ....and u would be getting loads of ideas to put ur programming skills into !!!

if u r interested right now........

have u read stacks, queues, trees ?? Trees have amazing uses........ try making a file- zipping utility , use Huffman Code for that (ofcourse to begin with, later u can apply more )......

if u haven't read all this.....ur knowledge is Basic .....try getting into a good engg. college !!!!!!

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
pag_floyd said:
have u read stacks, queues, trees ?? Trees have amazing uses........ try making a file- zipping utility , use Huffman Code for that (ofcourse to begin with, later u can apply more )......

this guy really enthu abt programing . i never could understand datastructures much lol . maybe u should have a site which explains datastructures and other programming stuff more easily to novice . u could have ppt or flash animation to help . prob with our school and college books was they were too dry as in un attractive . i wished i had the net back then .

tuxfan

Technomancer
pag_floyd said:
have u read stacks, queues, trees ??
Are these trees also called by some other name? Linked Lists? Is recurssion almost necessary to get effective control over trees? I think I have used recursion and linked lists in the past to a great advantage.

klinux said:
i never could understand datastructures much
What did you not understand in datastructures?

lamrinnirmal said:
i think we should have a programming forum out here. should nt we?
:roll: All the demands for that section so far have met deaf ears at the forum :( BTW, I like your palindrome username ;)

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
had a hard time , went through some ppt's and pdf's which explain well . but cleared the exam long back . but a tutorial could help others

OP
L

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
i have a lots of flash movies covering most of the abstract data types and structures.anyone interested?

try getting into a good engg. college !!!!!!

trying for that dude!thanx a lot for the advice. coming from a floyd fan , which i am too, its cool!

TIME is ticking away fast but i got HIGH HOPES and im sure i wont run into a WALL with you guys around :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom