What is Wi-Fi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4inet

In the zone
Wi-Fi is a latest technology by which Internet Acsess from your LapTop @ high speed is possible and also has many added features too... !

theraven

Technomancer
???? @go4inet!!!!

Definition: Wi-Fi => WIreless FIdelity network
=wireless lan/ethernet
=wireless version of wired networks

Types: a/b/g

Speed: 54.0 MBPS/11.0 MBPS/54.0MBPS

Frequency: not sure/2.4Ghz/2.4Ghz

Order Of Introduction: a=>b=>g

Compatibility: g is backward compatible with b..... therefore b/g networks can coexist ... a is completely different

Requirements: as in wired networks the 2 clients require lan card ... in wireless network 2 clients require a wireless network card ... or atleast inbuilt wireless capabilities as in the case of CENTRINO notebooks which are inbuilt with Wi-Fi b networks
with these 2 basically i can set up a direct connection for sharing of resources BUT NOT SHARING OF A NET CONNECTION !!!
this is called as an AD-HOC mode of wireless connection

Requirement For Sharin NET Connection:
1) a wireless access point (AP)/router ... in addition to the 2 wireless cards on each pc ( no. =2)
2) one of the cards ( the one on ur host pc with net connection) to have an INBUILT ACCESS POINT

Difference Between WI-FI and wired lan/ethernet:
1) Wi-FI is free of wires/wireless .... wired has .. well WIRE troubles
2) wi-fi offers max 54 MBPS speed ... wireless offers 10/100MBPS to 1 GIGABIT with "GIGABIT" LAN as seen on the newer MOBO's !
3) Wi-Fi offers WEP Security ... wired lan does not
4) wired lan cannot be tapped into that easily .. u need a physical source
wireless networks can be found with wi-fi enabled devices .... and can be accessed if WEP key not available pretty easily ...
even with WEP ... wifi is not very secure ... ( but here we are talkin abt US government secure)
basic security is good enuff

[EDIT=addition in post]

Uses:(With the kind of connection that u require ie. AD-hoc / Infrastructure
1) sharing files/folders/resources between 2 computers (AD-HOC/Infrastructure)
2) Playing Multiplayer games (AD-HOC/Infrastructure)
3) Sharing Printers (AD-hoc/Infrastructure)
4) Sharing New Connection (Infrastructure REQUIRED !!!! or AD-HOC with a Proxy Setup!)

[/EDIT]

Sites You Can Visit:
*computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm
*infoscouts.com/computers/wifi.htm
*www.bitpipe.com/data/rlist?t=1020279364_3396753&src=google
*www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=what+is+wi-fi&meta=

@JAK i hope u dun mind me using colors just this once !

ishaan

Padawan
its basically wireless networking...and in areas like airports, mcdonalds (not indian ones :( ), malls,etc they provide u broadband net access thru it for free in some places, paid other places

i kno in india that its dere in many hotels, like oberoi in mumbai.
(they charge 800 bux for 24hrs)

speeds are 11mbps or 54mbps dependin on tech used (dere 3 standards of it)...but these are the network speeds....the net speeds are whatever the provider gives, like 128,256 etc.

if u want, u can use it for normal network purposes (its not only for internet,etc) like in my home, i use my pc and laptop 2 play multiplayer gamz wid my bro :D

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
I have a gigabit LAN port on one PC and i have a reliance wireless phone connected to the other PC .Can i setup an AD-HOC connection??
Pls tell how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom