what is this .NET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

technomodel

Journeyman
Guys anyone with the remotest interest in computers today have heard of something called .NET. But very few know what this actually is. So I would like to place the following questions in front of the forum.
1. What is this .NET? What is it's importance in the software industry?
2. There are so many prefixes to .NET, like VB.NET, Visual c#.NET, ASP.NET. What are the differences between them, if there are any.
3.Supposing i am a prificient c programmer, but know no other language, what is the route i should follow to attain expertise in .NET. And i mean self teaching. No training centres.

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
i forgot to add something. i've heard this .NET is essentially a microsoft thing. does it mean it has no scope in a linux platform? Then what do i need for a similar function.

aadipa

Padawan
.NET is a framework (system library files) on which applications created with "Visual Studio .NET" will work.
It is microsoft's attept to create something like JRE. In these virtual machines, applications are compiled to some intermediate code instead of pure exe files. So u can work in any of the .NET language at a time to create 1 big project.

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
do you mean that it is something like the set of header files(stdio,math,conio etc etc..) which we use to program with c & c++? does it mean i can use any OO lanuage like vb, vc++ or c# to program using the .NET framework? and what are the differences between .Net and JRE ? i mean, if they are similar, why is .NET making such a wave?

G

as aadipa said .net is a platform or u can say framework on which you can easily make projects of enterprise level . . ots a pure oop language .. and as they are vb 6 , vc++6 etc in visual studio similarly vb.net (vb 7 ) vc# .net asp .net are the language included in that package . its fully ms based and its attemp of ms to be in competition with java .. there are many built in object library in that . . and thing u sud learn ..

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
ok, now supposing i want to master .NET, from where do i start? I may add that i have no experiance oop, though i guess i can say that i am quite comfortable with C (no one can know everything about anything, can he?)
I dont even know the difference between JRE,J2EEand JVM, excepting their full forms :cry:

walking-techie

Journeyman
hi,

as discussed .net is a new software development framework developed by microsoft

it has been developed to rival the java runtime environment

however microsoft is more better than JRE in some aspects ( most important u can develop diff program modules in diff languages and still compile them together to make one coplete program)

VC#, Vb.net, Asp.net .. all these are separate software language kits available with the visual Studio.net

howver pls note u can develop any program in any general programming
language ( like c, c++ , basic ,etc ) and linkit to any program module developed in visual studio.net or other language and still it will run
the complete program thats becos vs.net compilers convert all the code to an intermedia language called MSIL ( MS Intermediary Language )

No.. ".NEt " is not like any header file of c,c++

its a complete application development framework

u can download the Framework kit from microsoft website

however with this u hav to use ur text editor for writing progs and make use of ur console (dos prompt) to compile run and execute progs

however if u hav the entire studio.net it has its own "ide" for separate language developemnt kits

vb.net is next form of vb, vc# is a successor of c,c++

asp.net is successor of asp

with any of the .net languages u can develop solutions for the web ( thats the main reason it was designed )

as others said its a complete object oriented language

also

as ur comfortable with c, i would suggest u start with learning C#
u can read tuts from msdn online
or just search google,kazaa,imesh for C# tuts u will find many.. otherwise buy a book called Programming withC# by balaguruswami..its arnd 180 bucks or u can go for C#- the complete ref costing 300 bucks both are good books
to learn C#
for other .nET LANGUAGES U HAV TO READ RESP BOOKS

aLSO NOW DIFF BETWEEN

JRE,J2EE andJVM

JRE - its the environment u require to develop java applets and applications. its just like the ".NET " Framework (which is also an environment)

J2EE

well their are 2 Java development kits available one is the J2SE and the Other is J2EE

J2SE - JAva Standard development Kit (its for general users for general progams and its free abt 30 mb download)

J2EE - Java Enterprise Edition Development Kit ( its for enterprise applications ) it cost money and is more than 100 mb download ( u can hav a trial version for 60 days)

JVM - tats the JAVA Virtual Machine

Java environment has been designed in such a way that every java program u run is isolated from one other

tat is each uns independantly while using its own unique resources( variable, functions, etc)

a virtual machine is nothing but an exact replica of ur system given to eac program . each program runs in a separeate virtual machine ( so if 3 java progs may be running then u hav 3 separate virtual machines providing the environment for executing each program

hope all this helps if more questions pls dont hesitate to post

aadipa

Padawan
A nice explanation about .NET,
but i would like to comment on ur Java related answer.

walking-techie said:
JRE - its the environment u require to develop java applets and applications. its just like the ".NET " Framework (which is also an environment)
JRE is needed to RUN your java applications (JARs) and applets. To develop u need SDK ie software development kit.

walking-techie said:
well their are 2 Java development kits available one is the J2SE and the Other is J2EE

J2SE - JAva Standard development Kit (its for general users for general progams and its free abt 30 mb download)

J2EE - Java Enterprise Edition Development Kit ( its for enterprise applications ) it cost money and is more than 100 mb download ( u can hav a trial version for 60 days)
There is also a J2ME : Java 2 Micro Edition
It is used mainly in day to day devices like mobile phone, washing machine, and all that is markated as Java enabled

walking-techie said:
a virtual machine is nothing but an exact replica of ur system given to eac program . each program runs in a separeate virtual machine ( so if 3 java progs may be running then u hav 3 separate virtual machines providing the environment for executing each program

Virtual Machine is not a replica but an entire machine with predefined features with it. It has its own OS and Hardware (Processor) and Processor Instruction Set. So even if any client machine don't support some feature of Java program, JVM (Java Virtual Machine) emulate that and this makes ur Java application platform independent.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Mono is one ..

*www.mono-project.com/about/index.html

Its a product of Ximian .. It wasnt that much stable last time I got hold of it ..But it was some 12 mnths back I thnk ...

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmmm... A google search showed this page ...

*www.devchannel.org/devtoolschannel/04/04/16/1755236.shtml

I have no experience of DotGNU yet ..

pankyprk

Broken In
great discussion!

Keepitup guys !

walking-techie, i wanna know abt XML, is it prerequisite to learn VB.net / ASP.net ?

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
ok guys, i think there are a lot of developers around here, also people doing regular huge projects with OOP. so i put this question, which language do you prefer, j#, c++ or c#. and which environment do u like more, jre or .NET?
i guess i can start a poll too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom