What is this mail ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

titun

Hello people. For the last 3/4 days I am receiving 2/3 mails from a person not known to me. The mail directly goes to the junk folder, has an attachment with an extension .HQX and shows 3 gray thumbnails named like photo,photo2,photo3. I guess its embedded with some kind of malicious item, so never opened or clicked over them, but they keep coming. Attaching the screenshot below. Explain me what are the risks involved and what are the possibility of it being a virus attack attempt.

*img216.imageshack.us/img216/4567/one7ra.th.png

Excuse me for the poor image quality

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Do no open the file! It is a worm virus.

the virus is named W32/Nyxem-D. The effects after infection included turning off antivirus, sending itself to email addresses found on the infected PC, deleting files, etc.
I got the following from google ..
Goto “W32/Nyxem disinfection instructions” page, download the NYXEMGUI disinfector, and run it. The disinfector will scan your computer for the virus and attempt to clean it.

...I think u cant stop incoming mail . But can identify that and delete that at first glance . It cant even be blocked as it uses different from address and subjects randomely i think so .

OP
T

titun

@sknowonweb, thank you a lot for clearing my doubt. Scanned my PC with NYXEMGUI disinfector and thankfully it has not affected me. Thanks for the info,it really helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom