WHAT is this!!!!can u tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techmastro

Journeyman
My friend has a laptop 1.6Ghz, 256RAM when i checked its properties on right click my computer it showed 2 different values.
When same is done to my pc (2.8GHz) it showed 2.8GHz & 2.79GHz(actual value i suppose).
Then why there is so much difference in 2 values in my friend laptop.
[img=*img425.imageshack.us/img425/1583/mypc2us.th.jpg]

choudang

Padawan
i didn't get you properly....... but i can tell you abit.

i'm sure that you are using Intel P4 2.80E HT processor. you can go to *www.intel.com/homepage/land/hyperthreading_more.htm for details. thats why in your pc its showing 2 processor @2.80 and @2.79. As per i come know from your question and the image, your friend is using a laptop powered up with Intel M processor. im sorry that i don't have a brief knowledge about M processor. just check it in System properties --- Hardware---- Device Manager is it showing 2 diff processors under the processor ?

choudang

Padawan
Can anyone tell me, how come the system properties able show two processor with 2.80 and 2.79GHz. without having a HT technology. i think this 2.80 GHz processor was specially made for him :!:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
its not two procs. the one above indicates the rated speed and the one below indicates the actually speed that the proc is running at the very instant (this is due to the speedstep techonology).

heres my sys props. its same as urs, no ht proc. just plain jane p4!
[img=*img478.imageshack.us/img478/4503/sysproperties9rr.th.jpg]

vishalbhatia

Journeyman
infra_red_dude said:
its not two procs. the one above indicates the rated speed and the one below indicates the actually speed that the proc is running at the very instant (this is due to the speedstep techonology).

heres my sys props. its same as urs, no ht proc. just plain jane p4!
[img=*img478.imageshack.us/img478/4503/sysproperties9rr.th.jpg]

Even my system properties showing the same:
*img454.imageshack.us/img454/9261/system9rv.th.jpg

choudang

Padawan
I'm not talking about the system properties. go to sys prop-- advanced-- device manager....

just have a look ......

image: *img456.imageshack.us/img456/9729/sys6vy.jpg

Sourabh

Laptoping
Relax, The frequency of a CPU is determined by multiplying the fsb speed with the clock multiplier. In the case of a P4 2.8 ghz, its 21x133Mhz. As a result the actual speed is 2793 Mhz. As a result, the actual speed you see is shown at 2.79 Ghz. I dont need to say anything, its obvious that they would sell in the name of a 2.8 ghz processor in general terms.

As for the friends Centrino laptop, it has speedstep technology which reduces the clockspeed at less/no load to improve battery life.

Hope you get the point.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey sourabh that clarifies one of this questions but haf a look at the link. it does show 2 procs in device manager!

now thats possi only if the proc is ht enabled or windows is crazy!!! ;)

btw, just let us kno wot is the type of pc showin in the Computer category in device manager.

OP
T

Techmastro

Journeyman
@warrior I think you are bit confused i am talking about properties by right clicking on my computer.
Thanks all you guys my doubt is cleared now

choudang

Padawan
Techmastro said:
@warrior I think you are bit confused i am talking about properties by right clicking on my computer.
Thanks all you guys my doubt is cleared now

yes.. because my bro have a PC with 1.9 and one of my frn have 2.4 and i never show that system prop is displaying 2 diff frq. few days ago one of my frn have a new PC with 3.00 HT and my uncle have a 2.80 too and i found 2 proc. again i show a IBM thinkpad with HT and its displays two diff freq in sys prop and 2 proc in device mang.

i know that what HT do. physically there is only one proc, but it makes the OS fool to display 2 proc in devise manager.

*img451.imageshack.us/img451/2955/cpuz0gn.th.jpg

Sourabh

Laptoping
ohh sorry warrior I asked you to post a screenshot for no reason. Pardon me I got confused in who has which processor with/without HT and the two different doubts each had.

choudang

Padawan
its ok Sourabh.... i got confused too because as per i concern all the 2.80 prescots are HT. then how come there are anothe 2.80 without HT. i'm not sure .. might be there are 2.80 prescots without HT

choudang

Padawan
its ok Sourabh.... i got confused too because as per i concern all the 2.80 prescots are HT. then how come there are anothe 2.80 without HT. i'm not sure .. might be there are 2.80 prescots without HT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom