what is the use of java when things r easy in ASP/php

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnaik

Broken In
I am hobbiest programmer, i learn different softwares, one question always comes to mind, why do people use java technologies like servlets, sockets, jsp etc when this things can be easily done with ASP using ACESS or orcle/sql server database. I dont understand what is use of Java especially when designing website like supply chain management.

PLease help with examples.

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
Java enjoys something of a tarnished history, in some ways. Originally held up as the penultimate client-side technology--everybody remember when "Write Once, Run Anywhere" was the sole slogan for Java?--Java has since more or less abandoned its client-side roots in favor of its success on the server-side in J2EE. And yet, Sun just can't quite give up on the idea of "Java everywhere": server-side, client-side, even PDA-side. They sink millions of dollars in time and salaries in perpetuating the Swing libraries from one JDK release to the next, all to be greeted with comments like, "Java Swing is not good for GUI development" or the more colloquial "Swing Sucks".

See Fact :- *www.zefhemel.com/archives/2004/08/16/why-java-sucks

OP
R

rnaik

Broken In
thanks for reply, u r right!
Ya java programs r very slow also programming is tedious. I think .NET will overtake java, isn't it?

tuxfan

Technomancer
If you are fond of .net, have a look at Mono. .NET is only for Windows. Mono is similar to .NEt and is platform independent.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
rnaik, u r a hobbyist programmer, right....? ASP/PHP maybe enough for u, but thinking about giants like MS, SUN, IBM is out of ur bounds. see these companies not only have sites which serve lacs of ppl per day but the softwares/tools which have equal number of users. frankly I don't know about PHP, well ASP is outdated as ASP.NET overtook it and ASP had many disadvantages which were taken care of in .NET. I work for Accenture nd I work on .NET.
IMO companies dnt use PHP bcoz its opensource. well I dnt agree with #/bin and u on Java. It is one of the most used and dependable programming language for web applications, and let me remind u its not slow even. In handling thousands of requests per second (yes eg. MS/Yahoo servers get those many requests) Java(MS doesnt use Java) has proved its mettle. while .NET is gradually on rise, and it may be the future (well I m just guessing, not predicting), it has also got same impressing results. moreover .NET applications are sturdier too.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
how "eactly" ????? I donno. never worked in Yahoo, but from their requirements, I do know that they work in Java. See their web-pages, Java Script is used extensively.

And the link that #/bin/sh has given is really pathetic, well those are the views of an Individual only(although the author has found one or other problem in each language). These are the ppl who can't deal with problems.
Do you know,during around 1997-98, flights from hyderabad carrying java-professionals to abroad were called java-flights. they go in such a huge number...well scenario is different now, but java is still here and will be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom